Why become a member? ×

German Ply Double Bass ***SOLD***
£650
Manchester

I'm selling my spare upright. It's apparently German 1920's all ply. It's a lovely instrument, in good shape for its age. This is up for sale to partly fund a customisation project I want to undertake, so I'd be interested in px's for a cheaper instrument too. I don't want to use this one as it's too nice an example of an old instrument to cover in paint and stuff. I also prefer a narrower neck than this has too.

Here's some pics, if you need further ones please ask.

Any trial welcome in Radcliffe, M26.

As an update to this, I find myself in the position (due to some major health issues) that I am currently unable to gig, and hence need to sell this to cover some bills until I can sort out alternative income streams. As a result I've dropped the price to £495 ONO incl the Cordes Lamberts. No trades/PX

IMG_3039.JPG.384d5c9feafea3116437f4284725916c.JPGIMG_3043.JPG.51692e814740e0ef612dc6113f741fa7.JPGIMG_3040.JPG.0583c9071cf4bb49be741f1d2cc32f75.JPGIMG_3041.JPG.3dbae7cc44e7fcd9b146ee21edfe5697.JPGIMG_3042.JPG.d4e818cd025dce78ef33e9fda146708e.JPG

Edited by steve
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, oldslapper said:

That’s lovely Steve! I miss having an upright, and old European ply’s are lovely. GLWTS. 

John 

Thanks John, it most certainly is.

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

That looks a lot like a 50s or 60s Artia rather than a German bass. Lovely instruments!

I'm going from memory from the valuation the former owner provided from a shop up here somewhere so I could well be wrong, thanks for the input :)

6 minutes ago, steve said:

Thanks John, it most certainly is.

I'm going from memory from the valuation the former owner provided from a shop up here somewhere so I could well be wrong, thanks for the input :)

No problem Steve. I wasn’t trying to derail the thread at all. In fact, I’m looking at my bass which could be the brother of yours - same construction, tuners etc. It’s a wonderful sounding bass and when played by a great player (not me) sounds amazing. This is a bloody good deal.

18 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

No problem Steve. I wasn’t trying to derail the thread at all. In fact, I’m looking at my bass which could be the brother of yours - same construction, tuners etc. It’s a wonderful sounding bass and when played by a great player (not me) sounds amazing. This is a bloody good deal.

Hey BB, I didn't think you were derailing it at all my friend :) , all input welcome  - I don't have much of a clue with identifying them so I'm always happy to hear opinions/thoughts/advice etc. 

I have played this bass numerous times  (Steve was my double bass tutor and I used this in my attempt to tackle DB). Steve knows his stuff and this bass is very playable - well set up with a lovely rich and authoritive tone. Steve is also a top guy so deal with in complete confidence.

3 hours ago, mr zed said:

I have played this bass numerous times  (Steve was my double bass tutor and I used this in my attempt to tackle DB). Steve knows his stuff and this bass is very playable - well set up with a lovely rich and authoritive tone. Steve is also a top guy so deal with in complete confidence.

Thanks for the kind words, hope you're keeping well? :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2019 at 14:10, Happy Jack said:

What strings are they, Steve? In the photos they look more like hydraulic tubing!

Hi Jack, they're Cordes Lambert, I'm going to switch them for steels when I get half an hour tho'

• Rich locked this topic