Why become a member? ×

ACG Super Short 30.5" Scale 6 String

binky_bass

4 hours ago, binky_bass said:

It'll be stabilised, you pretty much cant use burl woods without stabilising them, especially Buckeye! 

Not so. I’ve seen loads of raw buckeye in certain luthiers’ stock and handled enough in my time. It just needs a lot of work and absorbs loads of finish. It feels almost like cork. 

Edited by 4000

Sorry, my luither lingo isn't up to scratch! To me 'a lot of work and absorbing loads of finish' would class as stabilising it. I'd consider 'raw' to be unfinished, shows what I know! 

Now I'm not sure if the ACG is raw with just 'time and finish' applied or if it stabilised in the correct sense of the word (chemical/acrylic impregnated). 

Either way, I'm told the bass is now actually complete!!! Awaiting a full front and full back picture this morning, which will naturally get posted on here! 

2 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Sorry, my luither lingo isn't up to scratch! To me 'a lot of work and absorbing loads of finish' would class as stabilising it. I'd consider 'raw' to be unfinished, shows what I know! 

Now I'm not sure if the ACG is raw with just 'time and finish' applied or if it stabilised in the correct sense of the word (chemical/acrylic impregnated). 

Either way, I'm told the bass is now actually complete!!! Awaiting a full front and full back picture this morning, which will naturally get posted on here! 

I think you're right, I was very much under the impression that stabilising the wood it the only way to make it any use whatsoever, I guess how it's stabilised might be what we're chewing the cud over here.
I believe Alan uses resin to fill the gaps and hold it together while then finishes it with satin lacquer.

Can't wait to see this bass, I'm probably as excited as you!

Eude

13 hours ago, eude said:

I think you're right, I was very much under the impression that stabilising the wood it the only way to make it any use whatsoever, I guess how it's stabilised might be what we're chewing the cud over here.
I believe Alan uses resin to fill the gaps and hold it together while then finishes it with satin lacquer.

Can't wait to see this bass, I'm probably as excited as you!

Eude

Stabilised buckeye Burl is where the wood is impregnated with resins by vacuum and pressure. It’s not the same process as taking a piece of wood and lacquering it. I believe some of Alan’s fingerboards use stabilised woods, hence my question.

So what I meant was, does he use stabilised wood or does he use raw wood and then finish it? From Eude’s response it seems it’s the latter, which is also Martin Petersen’s approach (my second Sei had buckeye facings). Stabilised buckeye is used for knife handles and such.

Edited by 4000

I'll ask Alan which it is, though I assume the latter, certainly for the Camphor back! 

Delivery date is tomorrow!! 

I'll throw some pictures up once its arrived and I've been able to put it down long enough to take them! 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, skelf said:

The Buckeye is acrylic impregnated as is the fingerboard the rest natural wood. 

cheers

alan

Cheers Alan. This begs another question, if it’s acrylic impregnated when you get it, is it still necessary to finish it? I only ask because when I finally get round to building something Id like to use buckeye. What’s impregnated wood like to work?

5 hours ago, 4000 said:

Cheers Alan. This begs another question, if it’s acrylic impregnated when you get it, is it still necessary to finish it? I only ask because when I finally get round to building something Id like to use buckeye. What’s impregnated wood like to work?

Works in much the same way as non impregnated woods. It does however make Buckeye easier in that it holds it together so less prone to falling to bits. I still finish it because there are still pin holes and some voids. While it may look nice it is a pain to work with so anything that makes it easier is worth looking at. 

On 19/12/2019 at 17:20, skelf said:

Works in much the same way as non impregnated woods. It does however make Buckeye easier in that it holds it together so less prone to falling to bits. I still finish it because there are still pin holes and some voids. While it may look nice it is a pain to work with so anything that makes it easier is worth looking at. 

Those were my thoughts exactly.😉