Why become a member? ×

ACG Super Short 30.5" Scale 6 String

binky_bass

Afternoon all,

I recently bought a super short 23.5 scale Bee Bass from a fellow basschatter, and it ruined me...

I'm a player who's always tended toward the larger basses, I have 10 string Bee Bass, a 9 string ACG and a small fleet of other 8, 7 and 6 string basses. Anything from standard 34" scale up to a 40" scale, but now I've played the 23.5" scale Bee Bass, it has utterly flipped my playing on its head! 

So, with the revelation of how easy super short scale basses are to play, with nearly no sacrifice to sound, tone, quality or any other area, I have enlisted Mr Alan Cringean to build me a 26.5" scale 6 string bass. 

The spec will be as follows:

'Micro' Salace E type body

30.5" scale

6 strings

White Limba body

Buckeye burl top with matching headstock cap

Birdseye maple fret board

5 piece maple/wenge set neck

Single ACG soapbar pickup

Passive vol/tone electronics

Hipshot 17mm type B bridge

Gotoh tuners

Dunlop strap locks

All in, it should be an absolutely cracking bass, much lighter than what I'm used to, much faster to play, super simple electronics, with all the quality and beauty of an ACG. Can't wait to see how this progresses and to eventually get to play it! 

Will update with pictures as and when I get them, for now, here is the VERY rough template and the Buckeye top...

Cheers, Russ.

IMG-20190505-WA0003.thumb.jpg.ccefb5b16d360f59c66a2d1e1b7dae40.jpg

IMG-20190506-WA0004.thumb.jpg.2ed428c42992bcbfc9ebabd46d780491.jpg

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 4

Really like the look of this! I also really like these very short scale basses - I've a bit of a dodgy thumb at the moment and I just find them really easy to play. I've built a couple of headless 23" scale basses recently and I'm about to build 4 and 5 string headed versions of the same scale.

That top is lovely - really looking forward to watching this thread progress.

Jez

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Really like the look of this! I also really like these very short scale basses - I've a bit of a dodgy thumb at the moment and I just find them really easy to play. I've built a couple of headless 23" scale basses recently and I'm about to build 4 and 5 string headed versions of the same scale.

That top is lovely - really looking forward to watching this thread progress.

Jez

:useless:

• 2 weeks later...

Going for a Camohor burl back and rear head stock cap on this now. Really only to mirror Binky a bit closer. 

I've changed it to a 30.5 scale too and will most likely be adding a second pickup and a 5k DFM East pre-amp too. 

IMG-20190514-WA0004.thumb.jpg.ba2e787e5eee438426f851b2597cc258.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Grantd said:

The ACG 26.5inch basses are awesome, I have these two from Alan and I absolutely love them. Big sound from such little basses too!

I'm sure your sixer will be a cracking bass!

Both ACG 26.5inch.jpg

Those are gorgeous little buggers!

Eude

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...