Why become a member? ×

Luthier hunt.....

Need to speak to a luthier somewhere about properly fitting a second soundpost for loud rockabilly feedback busting. Sent a few emails out to some near-ish to me to no avail. Are they too busy or have I asked for the tattoo equivalent of a facial swastika ?

Edited by Wayne Firefly

It may be a bit of both.... I had trouble finding a luthier who was willing to glue one end of my soundpost in place (a couple of recent stage invasions had resulted in my bridge being knocked over and the soundpost falling down).  The person who did finally consent only did so on the condition that I never tell anyone it was them.

• Like 1

Interesting replies !! I'm in North Wales but easy to get to North West or Midlands. I'll  try ringing around a bit.  Also interesting and as I possibly suspected, is what I'm asking somehow sacrilegious to their ideals of a musical instrument ?

11 hours ago, Wayne Firefly said:

Also interesting and as I possibly suspected, is what I'm asking somehow sacrilegious to their ideals of a musical instrument ?

Exactly.  In my experience, most double bass luthiers are entirely focussed on setting up instruments for unamplified classical or jazz playing - unsurprising as these genres will represent 95% of their clientele, and as such, are completely unaware of some of the modifications that are common among rockabilly players.  Someone emailing a traditional luthier asking for a second soundpost would probably be regarded as a bit of a nutter, asking for something that goes against what a double bass is supposed to do, i.e. resonate as much as possible to produce tone and volume.

If you haven't already, a bit of explanation about why you want a second soundpost may help, even better, vist the shop and speak to them personally so that they can see that you're not taking the pee. 

I'm not too sure why it should be sacrilegious - as you say, it is a sensible mod and a second soundpost is not uncommon to prevent feedback. It is a pity I didn't read this post a little bit earlier as I spent most of yesterday in the company of a Luthier and in between playing music we discussed a few things double bass including my Chadwick Folding Bass (I wasn't using this on the day) which has got all sorts inside the body all of which helps prevent feedback (although it has developed a resonant buzz when I play a 'D'). I'll see if I can get his opinion?

Crikey! get a bit of 2x1 cut it to the right length (it will take a few goes) and stick it in the Bass side F hole next to the bass bar, It should be tight enough to stop vibrations of the top and slack enough so as it doesn't fall over (or vice verse) A luthier will charge you an arm and a leg for making your bass sound quieter and less feedback prone when everyone else is trying to make their bass louder. Other than that, try making some F hole covers. A quick scroll down the EUB D\Bass page will give you some idea. I don't want to put any luthiers out of work but this is real basic stuff.

15 hours ago, Blartfactor10 said:

Crikey! get a bit of 2x1 cut it to the right length (it will take a few goes) and stick it in the Bass side F hole next to the bass bar, It should be tight enough to stop vibrations of the top and slack enough so as it doesn't fall over (or vice verse) A luthier will charge you an arm and a leg for making your bass sound quieter and less feedback prone when everyone else is trying to make their bass louder. Other than that, try making some F hole covers. A quick scroll down the EUB D\Bass page will give you some idea. I don't want to put any luthiers out of work but this is real basic stuff.

I have no problem with my bass being a little quieter acoustically. Its only ever plugged in with the band anyway, and the band is kind of loud. I may have a crack at some DIY F hole foam plugs, seen plenty of threads on such things.

Right. out of the emails I have sent out, I got one reply saying they could not do it due to their workshop not being big enough for working on double basses, although they advertise themselves as being a double bass repair person.

Their website advertises they work on a local orchestra's basses.

I'm guessing its the cold shoulder from the classical snobs....

I wouldn't go so far as to call it snobbery, these guys have reputations to protect and if it's perceived (incorrectly or otherwise) that they're doing weird stuff to double basses, it could have a detrimental effect on their business. 

If you haven't tried the f-hole plugs, give it a go, it may dampen the resonance enough for your needs. Otherwise it's a DIY sound post job.

I've wedged a tennis ball between the tailpiece and the body. Cuts down the vibration and feedback from the the top of the body beautifully. Cost nothing and totally reversible.

IMG_3437.JPG

• Like 1

I think sounds to me like its along the lines of snobbery. You'd think it wouldnt be a problem, but hey, you learn.

I ordered a foam floor mat off ebay for very little, I'll be making a set of them as soon as the mat arrives. You know, the interlocking floor mats you can buy for camping etc. I have some ideas about making them to fit my needs so I may take some pics and post them sometime.

4 minutes ago, TheRev said:

If you haven't tried the f-hole plugs, give it a go, it may dampen the resonance enough for your needs. Otherwise it's a DIY sound post job.

Wedge a tennis ball in the tailpiece? It's cheap at least to try it.

1 minute ago, Wayne Firefly said:

I may just do that !! I love ideas that are outside the norm but are so simple.  Its all, 'Why didnt I think of that !!'

The only problem is that everyone will ask you why you have a tennis ball stuffed there :) 

Actually, I might just stain mine dark brown or black so I don't keep getting asked that.

Edited by 6feet7

1 minute ago, jrixn1 said:

I did try to source a wooden-coloured tennis ball.  However they don't seem to exist so I ended up with a yellow one as well.  Business opportunity for any entrepreneurs out there!

Im not going to make jokes about wooden balls

• Haha 1