Why become a member? ×

Stingray 2 band to 3 band conversion. Should I or shouldn’t I?

Considering converting a 2007 2 band USA MM stingray into 3 band.

Just wondering - as a non stingray expert - what people think.

Is it worth the hassle? Are 3 bands better than 2 bands? Should I just keep it original and wait for a 3 band to come up?

Nope, 2eq is the best. Had 2 x 3eq Stingrays and never liked the tone but the 1 x 2eq Stingray I had I loved. Just my opinion and not fact. Nothing wrong with the 3eq so maybe just a bit more time playing with the eq is needed to get the tone you like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

Nope, 2eq is the best. Had 2 x 3eq Stingrays and never liked the tone but the 1 x 2eq Stingray I had I loved. Just my opinion and not fact. Nothing wrong with the 3eq so maybe just a bit more time playing with the eq is needed to get the tone you like.

1 hour ago, TJ Spicer said:

I wish ever Stingray was 2 band. Yet to find a 3 band Ray I get on with...

Interesting. I had read that 2 bands were bigger sounding but good to hear they’re preferred weapon of choice here. I’ll put my toolbox away then!!

An interesting compromise is the John East MMSR. It's a straight fit in the 2 band control cavity so no drilling (the 2 bands have the output on the jack plate, the 3 bands have it on the side of the body). You get to keep the majesty of the 2 band bass and treble controls and you get a semi-parametric mid. Mine's brilliant, even just having center detentes is a game changer but you get all the sound of the 2 band plus the ability to boost the mids.

• Like 3

Having had some experience of the 2 and 3 band. I say go for it, its not hard to change back. I like the 2 band eq but in certain situations i imagine the extra control can help you find a good tone faster.

And I think both 2 and 3 eq sound great!  

• Like 1

On 05/05/2019 at 10:40, vinorange said:

Considering converting a 2007 2 band USA MM stingray into 3 band.

Just wondering - as a non stingray expert - what people think.

Is it worth the hassle? Are 3 bands better than 2 bands? Should I just keep it original and wait for a 3 band to come up?

I have a 2002 2EQ, and what I did was install a John East MMSR 3-band 3-knob preamp. It retains the character of the 2EQ as it's based on John's own '76 Stingray, but it adds a mids module that allows you to select the centre frequency of the midrange (from 100-1000 or 200-2000Hz - which one of the two ranges is selectable with an internal switch). With the mids at the centre detent, you have the classic 2EQ and the mids add nothing. That's the best of both worlds, for me, and it transformed my bass from a bass I loved to play but soundwise was not perfect into The One. 

While I was at it, I asked John if it was possible to have a preamp bypass switch, and he said yes. So when I pull my volume knob I am in passive mode. Not often that useful, but it saved me at a festival once when despite my best attempts to replace batteries regularly, I failed. It took me a few seconds to realise something was wrong, pulled on the knob and continued, with a slightly different sound but it was still good.

On 05/05/2019 at 16:32, Jack said:

An interesting compromise is the John East MMSR. It's a straight fit in the 2 band control cavity so no drilling (the 2 bands have the output on the jack plate, the 3 bands have it on the side of the body). You get to keep the majesty of the 2 band bass and treble controls and you get a semi-parametric mid. Mine's brilliant, even just having center detentes is a game changer but you get all the sound of the 2 band plus the ability to boost the mids.

Indeed.

I don't find the 3EQ Stingray as nice as the 2EQ (the EQ curves are different on both preamps, their 3EQ is not a 2EQ plus mids). So the 2EQ + additional mids module on the MMSR is perfect, I think.

Another vote for the MMSR here. I put the 3 band 3 knob version in my USA SUB, and the 3 band 4 knob version in my 3EQ Stingray... my only regret is that I wish I'd gone for the 3 knob version on both as I prefer having the jack on the control plate rather than on the body edge..