Why become a member? ×

Glenn Hughes - how to get noticed

I saw them around this time at the Kursaal in Southend when the album 'Burn' came out.  One of the best gigs I've ever seen to this day.  A naked woman appeared on stage seemingly from nowhere and jumped on Ritchie, who promptly unslung his guitar and played it on her backside :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

I saw them around this time at the Kursaal in Southend when the album 'Burn' came out.  One of the best gigs I've ever seen to this day.  A naked woman appeared on stage seemingly from nowhere and jumped on Ritchie, who promptly unslung his guitar and played it on her backside :) 

My favourite era and line up. Sorry to the purists, but “whatevs” 🤪

• Like 2

Have to say there was something special about David Coverdale's voice back then when he stayed in the lower registers more often,  had his old nose and tilted his head back like an elephant seal. :) The way he sang 'Mistreated' still sends shivers down my spine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldslapper said:

My favourite era and line up. Sorry to the purists, but “whatevs” 🤪

Mine too. Mk.3 and Mk.4 are always the Purple I go back to.

'Burn' must be one of my favourite rock albums. It just kicks every track - only complaint is the bass could be a little beefier in the mix!

• Like 2

Can I just pop my head in here and vote for Mr Hughes' band Trapeze?

I only saw them in 1975 when (I think) they were a trio and I  bought the album of the same name. Apparently their first album was called Trapeze also but I bought the later version.

I remember being mightily impressed with his vocals and bass playing. 

For some reason I never explored their back catalogue ( I was still in the grips of my Budgie obsession then ,is my only excuse!).

As you were....back to Purple.😊

• Like 1

Interesting how almost quaint they sound now! Metal just got a lot nastier in the following decades I suppose. I was a little young for Purple, they were big among the older kids at school but I still have a soft spot for them. 

Glenn can do very little wrong in my book.

Didn't have the privilege of seeing Purple, but seen him tour his own songs and also classic deep purple more recently - he is still fantastic and it’s a great show - I recommend anyone even if you have a cursory nod to liking Purple to check it out - stagecraft at its best

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Interesting how almost quaint they sound now! Metal just got a lot nastier in the following decades I suppose. I was a little young for Purple, they were big among the older kids at school but I still have a soft spot for them. 

Perhaps metal was just a bit more "Musical" back in the day.

It’s a great tone - P badass bass and Orange Tube Amp.

Even better with your own ears.

Its a Nash bas for anyone who wants to know, he also used a Nash Jazz for a tour a couple years ago for his album and that too sounded immense

Edited by Cuzzie