Why become a member? ×

Fearless Flyers and their rigid stand-mounted guitars

18 hours ago, SICbass said:

Couldn’t one of these be the solution for those BC members who often see an instrument and say “If that only weighed 3 lbs, my poor back“ etc? Then it wouldn’t matter if it weighed 20 lbs.

Alternatively it could start a whole new area of mindless panic about the weight of the stands, not to mention relative heft of steel over alloy and whether the size and shape of the feet make any difference to the sound!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, ped said:

Alternatively it could start a whole new area of mindless panic about the weight of the stands, not to mention relative heft of steel over alloy and whether the size and shape of the feet make any difference to the sound!

Oh God, what have I done? 😱

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, SICbass said:

Couldn’t one of these be the solution for those BC members who often see an instrument and say “If that only weighed 3 lbs, my poor back“ etc? Then it wouldn’t matter if it weighed 20 lbs.

I did once read an article in Bass Player magazine of someone using one to get back playing after a serious car accident. I suppose it would mess with some people’s style though...

1 hour ago, SICbass said:

"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

Robert Oppenheimer, from The Bhagavad-Gita 😁

Edited by Muzz

Or mount it on a skateboard, put a couple of ramps either side of the stage, and you've got a show right there... 😀

Even better, add a battery-powered backpack-mounted amp, and the busking possibilities just open up. Ideal for avoiding those tedious conversations with Council officers keen to discuss performance licenses...

Edited by Muzz

6 hours ago, ped said:

image.png.8ad1c08aafd75badd8e4581e66fa1a74.png

5 hours ago, SICbass said:

In your defence, you're no worse than the OP for merely mentioning something that can also be adapted for use as a music stand...

Oh wait...

I use one. Not needed to use it live yet but when my shoulder injury flares it is ready to step into the breach. 

I have used it for long rehearsals, and while it took a little getting used to it was nice to have no weight on my neck for a few hours. 

Didn't clobber anyone with the headstock either. 

Guest subaudio

You can use a snare stand for acoustic guitar, possibly for a bass too but haven't tried that.

The snare stand basket grips the back and sides, rounded edges on an electric instruments might be problematic though.

On 06/05/2019 at 17:33, SICbass said:

They've still got to carry it!

On 05/05/2019 at 07:34, musicbassman said:

Has anyone ever come across any other bands or players having their guitars on rigid mounts before?

It looks so weird to me.

Opinions?

Anyway, here's the band messing around with the monstrously talented Chris Thile. Absolute all round excellence, and his movements remind me of Wilko Johnson.

Don't know the band, but in this case possibly just done for the purposes of the video?