Why become a member? ×

Fearless Flyers and their rigid stand-mounted guitars

Has anyone ever come across any other bands or players having their guitars on rigid mounts before?

It looks so weird to me.

Opinions?

Anyway, here's the band messing around with the monstrously talented Chris Thile. Absolute all round excellence, and his movements remind me of Wilko Johnson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw a Britpop band called Dodgy use one live years ago.

The singer/bassplayer used to play the acoustic parts of some songs on a guitar attached to a stand at waist height, presumably so he didn't have to faff around with taking his bass off to swap over for those parts.

Edited by Cato

2 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Yes, but how are they mounted on the instruments without cutting holes in them? Do they use a converted neck plate?

Well...they either do have a hole drilled in them...or some sort of clamp is mounted on the back of the guitar/bass.

the quick lok ones I mentioned are more like a wall mount on a stand

12 hours ago, musicbassman said:

It looks so weird to me.

Me too.

I suspect that it is a gimmick but it also has the added advantage of making it slightly easier for musicians to swap instruments.  I think most of them are multi-instrumentalists.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigwan said:

I saw Toto a few years back with David Hungate on bass. He played the whole set with his bass on one of those stands (I think he'd injured his back...).

Couldn’t one of these be the solution for those BC members who often see an instrument and say “If that only weighed 3 lbs, my poor back“ etc? Then it wouldn’t matter if it weighed 20 lbs.