Why become a member? ×

BeLow

Hi
I have a Nomad Axxeman pre-amp effects unit that I used to use for bass, ( even tho its a guitar pre-amp ).It has a decent compressor and Chorus and works fine. Its a 240volt unit so you dont need a Wall Wart.

If you are interested you can have it for £30.00 plus postage!

Regards
Will.

Do you want to use the rig in stereo (with 2 cabs)?
Can the power amp be bridged?
either way, if you end up with only one output on the pre and 2 inputs on the power, you can overcome this with a "Y" splitter cable.

Most pre amps have a 1/4" out (or two) plus a DI. Ideally, I guess you'd want to keep the DI free for the PA/Desk.

I use/have used;
A Trace head which uses the GP12 SMX for its front end.
An Ampeg SVP-Pro.
A Peavey MAX.
Hartke VXL (floor unit)
MXR M-80 (floor unit)

I used the two rack units (Ampeg/Peavey) with a QSC power amp, but the Ampeg seems to be very vulnerable to vibration (acoustic feedback) from cabs etc.
The QSC went belly-up outside warranty, effectively sending me back to the Trace.

It really depends what features you're looking for, too.

The Ampeg is wonderfully musical, has a phenomenal range of overdriven sounds (but they're not switchable!), but seems to lack a bit of bottom end.

The Peavey gets it right with the A/B, A+B channel switching, but bins it all again with mediocre tone, an evil click when you switch channels, and NO SINGLE MASTER OUTPUT! Not only do you have to set the gain for each channel, you have to use each channel's volume control to level match the two to avoid big jumps in level when switching between them. If you want to reduce the overall level, you have to use both the volume controls to turn it down, thus upsetting the balance... Fine if you use a volume pedal, but annoying if you don't.

The Traces (the ones I'm thinking of) are reliable, sound "clean" and aren't too hefty. They are a 2u box, have a plethora of connections at the back, plus a front panel like the flight deck of Concorde. That said, I've never found that the valve in the input stage makes [i]much [/i] difference. It's certaily never given me any drive, even with the gain cranked.

In summary, I'd say the Trace from my experience. I can't comment on the other units you mention as I've not used them, but you might want to try a Line6 POD XT Pro (the bass one...)

[quote name='BeLow' post='357281' date='Dec 17 2008, 07:57 PM']They look good although a bit more rock orientated than I was aiming for - what sort of second hand value do they have as they are bit pricey to create a spare rig?

As an aside can you explain why I should knock the Behringer off the list?[/quote]

I had one and found it had a very limited dynamic range between noise and *horrible* digital distortion. If you let it clip even slightly it lets out a huge cracking noise, louder than the signal. Shame, because apart from that it had a great range of sounds but I really wouldn't trust it for anything other than rehearsals. It's also a bit user-hostile for live use in that most controls have dual functions so you have to hold a button with one hand while turning a dial with the other.

I use the Ampeg SVP pro now. It benefits from valve upgrades, it was microphonic when I got it. Sounds filthy (in a good way) now.

[quote name='BeLow' post='358512' date='Dec 19 2008, 06:58 AM']I used to have a Laney DP300 - greta amp for the money in its day - did not realise they did a pre amp - thanks

Anyone used the ashdown preamps or the Line6 Bass POD XT Pro?[/quote]

I use the Line6 Bass POD XT Pro in the studio. I used to use it live, but it's got too many knobs.

It's great if you spend the time setting it up. The presets need tweaking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='BeLow' post='415861' date='Feb 20 2009, 11:07 PM']It does not exactly fit in with the original plan very well but I have sort of fancied a BBE unit for a while, has anyone had a go with one of these preamps as I don't want to buy it cold but may not have an option?[/quote]

OBBM used one for quite a while.

Consider this [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Focusrite-TrackMaster-Platinum_W0QQitemZ180331398009QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Outboards_Effects_MJ?hash=item180331398009&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]Focusrite Trakmaster Platinum[/url]..? It's intended as a vocal preamp/channel strip, but they are also widely used as studio bass preamps. It's got a simply brilliant compressor and a nice usable eq, and the sound is pure & clean. What comes out is what went in, only louder ;)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='418817' date='Feb 24 2009, 10:04 PM']OBBM used one for quite a while.[/quote]

Correct although it was the T version. I had mine apart, as I tend to, and the main gain and EQ stages were almost identical to the Alembic F1X, which I also had apart and drew up. The real problem with the Fender/Alembic design EQ is that you can only cut the mids. The BBE has a swept parametric which overcomes this. Also the DI out is very good and the compresoor ain't bad either. Why did I sell mine? Oh I know I kept overloading the input with the MM Bongo. That was one hot bass.

[quote name='BeLow' post='419667' date='Feb 25 2009, 10:11 PM']Thanks fellers really useful input from some the more experienced contributors - very much appreciated. The focusrite looks very handy, but the comments on the BBE very helpful. When I was reading the reviews there was coment that the input gain controls was over sensitive, but I think this may have beem modified for later models.

Any one else got anything to add?[/quote]

There was a mod issued to reduce the input sensitivity. It involved changing a couple of resistors and removing two capacitors. Not sure if there was an equivalent one for the solid-state version.

Try a Phil Jones Bass 'Bass Buddy' pre if you get a chance. Lovely warm tone, enough eq for most situations and probably the best most musical compressor I have ever used (and I've owned a few :) ) and all on one knob.