Why become a member? ×

Query - Ashdown MK 500 vs JJB 500 amps

Shaggy

I hope this isn't a thick question, but does anyone know how the Ashdown Mark King signature (MK 500) and JJ Burnel signature (JJB 500) amps differ from each other?   Other than the obvious MK being painted red and JJB being black; specs and features for both look pretty much identical from the online info - the JJB 500 is supposed to have a unique transformer, but given that both models have identical weights and power outputs I'd guess even that is similar.  :scratch_one-s_head:

I've recently acquired an MK 500 head in lovely nick that I'm very pleased with - quite a departure for me as I've always had all-valve or hybrid heads.   

3 hours ago, Shaggy said:

I hope this isn't a thick question, but does anyone know how the Ashdown Mark King signature (MK 500) and JJ Burnel signature (JJB 500) amps differ from each other?   Other than the obvious MK being painted red and JJB being black; specs and features for both look pretty much identical from the online info - the JJB 500 is supposed to have a unique transformer, but given that both models have identical weights and power outputs I'd guess even that is similar.  :scratch_one-s_head:

I've recently acquired an MK 500 head in lovely nick that I'm very pleased with - quite a departure for me as I've always had all-valve or hybrid heads.   

One for @Ashdown Engineering?

14 minutes ago, franzbassist said:

Ashdown told me a few years ago that there was no difference between the MK and JJ versions apart from the case colour...

As I'd thought then!   Thanks for responses above. :i-m_so_happy:

17 minutes ago, Ashdown Engineering said:

Correct.

Thanks for clarifying, Ashdown - makes sense given JJB's grittier core tone

MK model is a great amp, the "harmonic emphasis" control is the most useful built-in effect I've found on an amp

4 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Thanks for clarifying, Ashdown - makes sense given JJB's grittier core tone

MK model is a great amp, the "harmonic emphasis" control is the most useful built-in effect I've found on an amp

Cheers, whilst there is a difference between the two amps a lot is simply down to the differences between JJ and Mark King's hands though...

Anyway more importantly was it you?

1 hour ago, Ashdown Engineering said:

Cheers, whilst there is a difference between the two amps a lot is simply down to the differences between JJ and Mark King's hands though...

Anyway more importantly was it you?

I guess so, and you could hardly have two more different bassists

Was what me? :scratch_one-s_head: