Why become a member? ×

Anyone successfully jamming with mates over the internet?

BassYerbouti

It's a couple of years since I looked and then gave up but I wondered if software had moved on and people are able to successfully jam over the internet using something or other.

Trying to get our band together in the same room is like trying to herd cats but as the most tech savvie and with time and various interfaces, di, mixers etc I thought I'd have another look at trying to rehearse/practice remotely.

We are not bothered about seeing each other but would ideally sit at home with our instruments and a set of headphones on and be able to play and hear each other.

we all have macs except one who has PC and seemingly connected to high speed internet connections.

is anyone else doing this please and can give me a steer?

regards,

Chris

You'd think the technology isn't far away through - latency shouldn't be an issue with enough bandwidth. Would be really great if it happened soon. In the meantime you can try collaboration sites where you download a song that needs bass and send it back. I used to do that a lot and really enjoyed it.

I can't even manage to hand a half decent coversion over Skype without it sounding like I'm taking to someone as far away as the moon. I've always found VoIP to be a bit crap regardless how good your internet speed is. It's frustrating just trying to hold a coversion let alone trying to play in time with someone. 

I occasionally teach via Skype, it's often beset by problems; drop-outs, latency etc. I'm told that Face timing is better. My niece has multi-way Face time conversations with her mom who lives in Turkey, and her older sister who lives in the UK.

On 09/05/2019 at 11:52, ped said:

You'd think the technology isn't far away through - latency shouldn't be an issue with enough bandwidth. Would be really great if it happened soon. In the meantime you can try collaboration sites where you download a song that needs bass and send it back. I used to do that a lot and really enjoyed it.

can you recommend any sites?

28 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

can you recommend any sites?

I’ve used Kompoz before. I just visited again with a view to doing some more collabs and I see it’s been massively updated and improved. Worth a go I think, I’m sure it’s mostly free but think you can pay for an upgrade that gives you extra features if you use it a lot. 

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...