Why become a member? ×

Do 8lb Fender American Precisions exist?

fretmeister

I’d say don’t limit yourself to American ones. I’ve had a couple Japanese ones which are every bit as good or even better. I have a 61 and a 64, and I always end up picking up my 7.4lb ‘85 MIJ medium scale P now...

Edited by therealting
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Ah man, now I know this exists I want it! Of all the P bases I've had my 2012 in sunburst was EASILY the best. It was about that weight and was just a peach. I had another 2012 at the same time, which was nice, but the sunburst one was the one. 

• Like 1

There was the Precision Lyte released in the 1990s.

They are lighter (I think they might have been chambered) but they're also quite a long way from a traditional P bass.

The Lyte is a PJ with a skinny neck. I'm also pretty sure they had an active tone circuit.

Edited by Cato

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:16, Cato said:

There was the Precision Lyte released in the 1990s.

They are lighter (I think they might have been chambered) but they're also quite a long way from a traditional P bass.

The Lyte is a PJ with a skinny neck. I'm also pretty sure they had an active tone circuit.

Not chambered, just a smaller body (Strat sized!) As you say, very thin neck / active EQ and also MIJ. I've got 3 of them, and the sunburst one I use for my main gig is a shade over 7lbs. Has enabled me to keep working long gigs after a stupid shoulder injury meant I had to stop using my Stingray, so has been a bit of a life saver for me. 🙂

• Like 1

On 04/05/2019 at 22:38, Stub Mandrel said:

I found this thread:

Sold that one! My current SQ series japanese P is 3.8kg or 8lbs 6oz, and that has the vintage style Gotoh lightweight tuners in (which are great btw and highly recommended!)

1 hour ago, tom1946 said:

I have the red Sandblasted P and it's brilliant in every way. About 8lb as I recall.

Also have 2x 6 lb1oz P 's. Home constructed but all the right hardware.

The home built ones - can you divulge where you got the bits and how you managed to get them light enough?

I've never built a bass before, I quite fancy that.

23 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The home built ones - can you divulge where you got the bits and how you managed to get them light enough?

I've never built a bass before, I quite fancy that.

+1.  Any pics too please Tom?