Why become a member? ×

QSC K12.2 DI Output Level high enough for passive bass?

I have decided to ditch the wireless and plug straight into my QSC K12.2.

The receiver I was using had a DI output to take my signal to the desk but I was thinking about using the DI through on Channel B which according to QSC is an unaffected signal but doesn't state if there is any buffering going on.

I would like to find out if I plug my Geddy Jazz directly into channel B and send a DI from the loop-through to the desk, will the output be great enough or do I need to get myself an active DI box?

I can't find any specs online which say if there's anything going on or not to buffer the signal

Edited by Delberthot

I would say the pass-through will be just the same as plugging your bass directly into the desk.  Whether that's any good for you depends on the desk.

Manual says "Channel B pass-through output connector. The signal here is the same as the input signal on Channel B."

Edited by jrixn1

I read that as well but it doesn't state if it has a buffer like plugging into a tuner before going into the amp or if the signal is literally split between the amp and what goes to the through connector.

I'd ideally like to get away from using anything else as I've already ditched my outboard preamp and like to keep it as simple as possible by plugging my bass directly into the amp

Channel B has the option of a line in or Hi-Z input for an instrument - so far so good. If you connect the 'through' output to your mixer and your tone changes, then you will know that option does not work for you. However, if you are only using channel B, could you use the active-speaker mixer-output as the feed to your FOH mixer?

David

I've been using channel B on the HI-Z setting. Channel C outputs at line level but there's no mention of whether it is balanced or not.

I'm guessing that since it is a PA speaker then there wouldn't be a balanced output on it.

I have decided to plug into my old Korg DT10 which also saves me turning down 2 volumes on the bass to tune silently between songs and it has a buffer built in. This then goes into my passive Art Z-Direct box with the balanced output going to the mixer.

I might dig my BDI21 out for next week but I'll just use the DI this weekend