Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton SB-84A SB Deluxe

Hi all, I am new to the site today and have not fugured outhow  to do the intro bit yest. I have a question for all you experienced players please. i have been given the above bass to learn on, however the onboard preamplifier is dead. I have approached HB support and they say there are no spares for this instrument. I am well past retirement age so I have time and can follow wiring diagrams and i am totally sound on solder work, so, the question is, does anyone know of a source of spares, or a method of wiring in another make of amplifier. The selector switch has 5 selectable positions. Regretably I cannot find a wiring diagram so I will need to trace out the connections and draw them to get an idea of what to do. I am UK based.

Apologies for the long post,

Kindest Regards Patrick500

My first thought would be that the bass has a 3 year warranty and I'm pretty sure they haven't been out for 3 years so could the original owner not return it to be fixed/exchanged?

Second thought is could you have a duff battery? Looking at the control layout I would assume all the coil switching happens before the output feeds a 3 band eq that doesn't have a blend/balance control. Theoretically any 4 knob, 3 eq preamp without a blend will do the job. If you feel competent enough I would be inclined to check it isn't the switch first by routing the output direct to the jack and proving all is well with the pickups/switch.

Edited by BassBunny