Why become a member? ×

Anti GAS

neilray

Does anybody else- like me - keep thinking that the higher price you pay for an instrument , you’re more likely to find that the cheaper one , that you’ve had for years , is really hard to top .? Recently bought a Mayones Slogan and it’s a beauty but it’s just not MY bass . I keep going back to my Lakland DJ 4 which I’ve had for about 8 years and has simply never let me down . No shifting of the neck , no crackling pots and for some reason , strings last for months on it . I think I just learned my lesson . A good bass is a good bass and forget about the price of it . Consequently, im selling the Mayones - any interested parties please let me know . 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, neilray said:

Does anybody else- like me - keep thinking that the higher price you pay for an instrument , you’re more likely to find that the cheaper one , that you’ve had for years , is really hard to top .?

Many might, but for me the answer is no not really. I'd also say that however cheap you think your Lakland is it's not cheap on any scale of cheapness. Laklands (even the Skylines) are great, well made, well designed instruments and will be hard to better. But I bought 2 basses, a Mike Lull PJ5 and a Sadowsky RV5, that meant I sold my US Lakland 55-94. So it depends where your comparisons are being made.

Play a Sadowsky and I think you'll find your bass. It will set you back a bit more than the Lakland, but from what you are saying, I think you might have already found your bass. If you want to make it "better" checkout pickup upgrades or a John East Pre, or just look at your amp and cab. Upgrading those, and not the bass, might be the boost your sound needs.

• Like 1

My three 2012-16 Precisions have been £800 each, and I can’t think that spending five times that would get me a bass that I’d bond with better. And given that I don’t have four grand to spend on a bass I’m not going to try, I think I’ve peaked and found “the ones” fairly reasonably priced.

While not necessarily cheap (I paid £300 for it back in 1992, choosing it over a 75 Precision at £250), my ESP 400 Series Jazz is definitely nowhere near as expensive as some of the basses I have bought since, including a Sadowsky, but it remains the one that I know will always be just right for me, like Mama Bear’s porridge. I think it would be foolish to stop searching, all the same. I mean... the next one... that could be the one 😂

Thanks guys and I’d agree with most of your points . My lakland is a skyline series and just felt right straight away . It’s like putting on ya fave slippers every time I pick it up . I actually really like the passive tone and the pickups are great . No noise and good sound with one or the other backed off slightly. I always have the tone down about a third. Playing it through a Mesa subway d800 and two DB embee cabinets with 12 s . Any body else using DB cabs ? Thoughts ?

5 hours ago, neilray said:

Does anybody else- like me - keep thinking that the higher price you pay for an instrument , you’re more likely to find that the cheaper one , that you’ve had for years , is really hard to top .? Recently bought a Mayones Slogan and it’s a beauty but it’s just not MY bass . I keep going back to my Lakland DJ 4 which I’ve had for about 8 years and has simply never let me down . No shifting of the neck , no crackling pots and for some reason , strings last for months on it . I think I just learned my lesson . A good bass is a good bass and forget about the price of it . Consequently, im selling the Mayones - any interested parties please let me know . 

I can relate to this for sure!

Guest Marcoelwray

I know that feeling. My last expensive bass (at least, new) was a Mayones Comodous custom. It'll be the last expensive one I'll buy.

I think that higher price would not necessarily mean that that particular bass is more suitable  ("better") for you. 

In many cases higher price is a result of distinctive higher quality that any player can benefit from (pu, electronics, hardware, woodwork)

But it still does not mean that you by default will enjoy playing that bass more, its just means that you'll probably  have less issues. 

In many other cases higher price is a result of expensive woods, branding, customizing, etc which could be important for some and not much to others.

But it still does not mean that you by default will enjoy playing that bass more, its just means that you got something that you've dreamt of and this may make all the difference. 

It takes time, effort and experience to work out what (and why) works for you and what isn't. 

I’ve had anti-gas myself now for the past couple of years, and this seems to somehow relate to moving from gigging occasionally to gigging regularly.

I’ve got a Fender MIM Jazz that I bought around 2002, and back then was the most expensive thing I ever owned. I’ve upgraded the pickups and bridge in recent years.. This definitely has the ‘’old slippers’ thing for me! Now I’m a bit more financially stable, I’ve tried several times to buy a new more high end Jazz - but haven’t ever tried one that would justify me dropping four figures on it. 

I did buy a Lakland 5501 a few years ago - I wanted something modern and five-string. It’s a pretty versatile bass and has been getting out a lot recently - a couple of transposed songs in the set benefit from getting lower than E. But I definitely don’t get on as well with it as I do with the Fender.

George

I bought what I thought would be my ultimate bass last year, a Dingwall NG3. It did everything it should but I couldn't mentally justify having 1500 quid in capital doing not much.

Quite happy now with my Miller Jazz and OLP MM22, doubt I'll spend more than 750 on anything again*.

*But I probably will

• 2 weeks later...

Spent £200 on a second hand squier CV about 7 years ago. Ive only added a fretless and a PJ since. On several occasions ive  walked into shops with upgrading on my mind and cash in my pocket. Ive gassed for hours. But when it came down to it, there wasn't a single £1k+ p bass that seemed worth the upgrade. I also was worried about such an investment getting damaged or stolen. I've long since stopped gassing for expensive basses. It feels great.

• Like 1