Why become a member? ×

Advice sought for cab setup with 5 string

telbomber

Morning you lovely people.

I need a bit of help if possible please.

Just acquired a *FANTASTIC* sounding Markbass 1x15 Jeff Berlin combo from StudioGC on here.

I've paired it with a 1x12 extension to get 500w @ 4ohms.

I have an epiphone Thunderbird string as a pseudo 5 string with Rotosound dropzone strings tuned C G C F.

I'm having issues with the cabs when playing anything lower than D on the top string. They sound muddy and like they're struggling. 

Other than that they are clear as a bell and the sound is awesome. Anyone have any advice on what to do? 

Was thinking of making the 2nd cab a 2x10 will that help?

The idea of the setup is to be portable,  I have a 4x10 cab but it's not practical. I want something I can carry in one hand like the MB combo.

My pedals are just Tuner, Spectracomp and Sansamp

Any advice or help gratefully accepted

Thanks guys

Terry 

I’ve got a Barefeced BB2 and a GK MB800 running at 8ohms 500w and the BB2 is very loud and clear, my experience with barefaced cabs is that you can give them hell and the sound loud and clear,

try a few other brands as there is loads to choose from 

You've probably got a list of "issues" and it seems you are trying to buy your way out of them. First you have to find out what is causing your problem. The 112 you're pairing with the 115 might be working against your sound rather than with it. With that bass and that tuning you could be putting out way too much low end and the cabs can't take it. You're using pedals which could easily be messing with the sound.

You could take all the components out, one by one, and see what the results are, ie track down what is actually causing your problems. It might just be that your pedals are messing everything up and this is where I'd start looking. Try a compatible Markbass 115 instead of 12's or 10's.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, telbomber said:

I have a 4x10 cab

Are you happy with the sound from your 4x10?

If so, that would be the best starting point as it's a known good sound - what make/model is it? And what amp did you use with it?

If not, any difference or improvement if you use only the Markbass 1x15 combo, or only the 1x12 cab (what make/model is it)?

Markbass cabs do have a high-end roll-off. Couple that with a Tbird which already has mega lows, and then playing it in drop C, plus adding a Sansamp with its big low-end and mid-scoop I think the lack of that crisp high end definition could be working against what you’re aiming for.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, chris_b said:

You could take all the components out, one by one, and see what the results are, ie track down what is actually causing your problems. It might just be that your pedals are messing everything up and this is where I'd start looking.

This is a good systematic approach.

Hi guys really appreciate the feedback and advice. My main bass is an Aerodyne Jazz and it sounds epic with the setup so I'm pretty sure the thunderbird/heavy string combo is the main problem. Rehearsal tomorrow, I'm keeping the same gear but I've bought a cheap EQ pedal. Going to try all the different solutions proposed here, then I'll see if using the eq with just the tbird makes a difference