Why become a member? ×

Tone control doesn't roll off until last 20%

Hi folks, advice please.

I picked up a BB 2024x a while ago and it's a great bass with a wonderful P bass tone. However, I noticed that the tone control does nothing until the last 20% ish. Then it rolls off nicely, (just using smaller adjustments). Anyhow, I thought I could just replace it. I ordered the correct replacement out from Yamaha Japan, and the new pot is exactly the same?

Not a big issue, but I am curious. Can it be that these bases are made this way? Any other BB owners or other basses that are like this?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Edited by jbu09

Some tone controls are worse than others, but one of the problems of a passive instrument is the filter network that is implimented by your tone control is an RC network where the R is provided by your pickups, your volume control and the input of your amp (and your cable). Obviously that varies with the amp and the cable, so it is designed around one cable and amp combo. If yours is very different, it won't work the same.

The tone pot is almost certainly a log pot, which means most of its effect is in the final part of its sweep, as you've found. Volume pots are usually log pots and the effect is similar. Try swapping it for a linear pot - their effect is steady (hence linear)over the entire sweep. CTS make them and you can find them from plenty of online suppliers. Just make sure you get the same value as the one in the instrument.

• Like 3

Everyone makes linear pots, they are the natural way to make pots, but the log pot was invented because they don’t work for audio because our hearing is not linear, so the log pot stops the pot only seeming to work in the last 20%

• Like 1