Why become a member? ×

Inspiration

mangotango

Birthday soon - I hit 61 next week. And starting to feel my age.

I invested in new gear just a little while back, but I did think twice, on the grounds of "Is this a bit of a luxury? - how much longer am I going to be doing this?"

However, I had a bit of change of heart this week. About 6 weeks ago, I was asked to dep for a rehearsal big band. Show tunes, Miller, Basie, etc. Went OK, though if I'm honest I'm not a good enough sight-reader for that gig. Age-wise, I fit in pretty well, maybe even a bit younger than some of 'em.

Afterwards, I passed over my card to the leader for future use and he noted that I also play guitar. Since their regular guitarist had done the off, I've been sitting in on guitar since then.

This week, the regular bassist was once again absent, but I was asked to stay on the guitar as they'd sorted out another bassist.

And this guy turned up - smashing old gent he was, name of Ray. Had a Fender Modern Player Jazz, Polytone Amp and got the closest sound to an upright that I've ever heard emerge from a bass guitar. I had a chat with him at the break and when he realised that I too was a bassist, we talked about that and I complimented him on his sound. He said that he wasn't all that happy with bass guitar - he'd played string bass (i.e. upright) for 50 years! Clearly I had a "Well how old are you then?" expression on my face, because he told me he's 88!!!!! Eighty - flippin' - eight!!

So, still playing , sight-reading like a boss, driving to the gig, all at nearly 90 years old!....Ray, you are my new inspiration, sir.  And I hope I'm still above ground and playing that well in nearly 30 years time!!!

• Like 16

My first gig at 17 was in a big band. I was the youngest by about 40 years but they were the guys who had been there at the time so to speak and had some amazing stories.

It's a very different gig to playing in rock bands & doing weddings. Much more relaxed and usually a great laugh. The band leader was always telling me to turn down but the sax players would always turn round to me and tell me to turn back up 

I was in that band for a couple of years and learnt a great deal in that time. 

• Like 1