Why become a member? ×

Zoom B1-4 & B3N - Effects patch ideas and tips

Al Krow

51 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I had the BFX-708 for years! I think things have moved on a lot since those days. How are the amp sims? I think I'd miss my trace elliot and "super flat" amp sims that I get on the Boss. 

Pulling you onto this thread if I may, so as not to derail the other thread entirely!

Must admit I'm not a big user of amp sims on any of the multis I've had thus far, which is why I've got the Helix HX, which doesn't have amp and cab sims, rather than the Stomp which does and, in any event, I'd be of limited use in saying how good e.g. the TE amp sim is given that I've not been a TE amp user / fanboy to date! But maybe one of the other B1(X)-4 or B3N users on this thread can jump in and say if they rate the Zoom amp sims. I suspect they won't be as close or as realistic as the ones on the Helix Stomp - I know that @dave_bass5 has both pedals.

As a fyi - the amp sims on the Zoom include: Ampeg SVT, Ampeg B-15N, Fender Bassman 100, SWR SM-400, Aguilar DB750, TE AH400SMX, Markbass MINIMARK 802, EBS HD360.

PS it does seem like the Zoom B1X-4 is the spiritual successor to your Zoom BFX-708 which I think came out a decade ago and is now described as a 'rare vintage guitar pedal' on eBay!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

@uk_lefty I haven't gigged using the amp sins on the Four, but I have done a rehearsal and fannied about at home with them. The SVT and Trace ones are good straight out of the box and of course can be tweaked in all manner of ways.

@Al Krow my CFS is on me today, computer hasn't even been turned on. I will get back to you I promise 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

PS it does seem like the Zoom B1X-4 is the spiritual successor to your Zoom BFX-708 which I think came out a decade ago and is now described as a 'rare vintage guitar pedal' on eBay!

Firstly, thanks for bringing me in to this thread, Al. 

Secondly, I've also heard an ebay ad ripping the pedal too, think it was linked through the site. To be fair, and I think you were joking anyway, every tit on ebay calls things "rare", "vintage" and "custom". Even if they're new, in box, and easily available. It's like it's part of the ad template for music gear. 

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Firstly, thanks for bringing me in to this thread, Al. 

Secondly, I've also heard an ebay ad ripping the pedal too, think it was linked through the site. To be fair, and I think you were joking anyway, every tit on ebay calls things "rare", "vintage" and "custom". Even if they're new, in box, and easily available. It's like it's part of the ad template for music gear. 

You're very welcome.

Did you take your BFX-708 out on the road before you got your GT10B -  if so, how did you like it?

FWIW, the current Zoom line up are IMO easier to edit that the Helix, a fraction of the price (particularly if you're after a built in wah pedal) but don't have the processing power and therefore the quality of the sims on the Helix. At their respective price points, they're both great pieces of kit and I have to 'fess to enjoying having both.

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Did you take your BFX-708 out on the road before you got your GT10B -  if so, how did you like it?

I did gig it when I was 18. Half my life ago. It got used a lot since but I didn't get back it to proper gigging until about four years ago and then I was using separate pedals. I wouldn't use a BFX708 now because I have better quality basses and amps these days, though I have used the smaller units from the same era as good spares because you can turn up to an open mic and line out to the PA with them if you need. In fact I recently bought an old zoom two pedal thingy for my electro acoustic guitar. 

1 minute ago, uk_lefty said:

I did gig it when I was 18. Half my life ago. It got used a lot since but I didn't get back it to proper gigging until about four years ago and then I was using separate pedals. I wouldn't use a BFX708 now because I have better quality basses and amps these days, though I have used the smaller units from the same era as good spares because you can turn up to an open mic and line out to the PA with them if you need. In fact I recently bought an old zoom two pedal thingy for my electro acoustic guitar. 

Ok cool. I'm going to stick my neck out and, based on what you've shared so far, recommend that you get yourself a Zoom B1X-4. It's got Zoom's latest chipset (the same as in their B3N) and is a doddle to programme particularly with their free PC editing software or the free ToneLib software. Costs £73 plus P&P. It's got some really useful 'global' controls.

Worst case you relegate it to being used as an (excellent) headphone amp or move it on and take a £20 hit for your troubles.

The alternative is £575 or so for a used  Helix LT if you want a Helix with a foot controller.

Thanks Stew - did all that, but all I'm getting is the ZNR effect by itself, although it does come with the description: "('cvt_dev' patch): 2 wah effects for the price of one"

I wonder if it's 'cos yours is a B1-4 and mine is a B1X-4?

Could you see if this works the other way around? I uploaded a couple of patches a few posts earlier - can you see if you can import them onto your B1-4?

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks Stew - did all that, but all I'm getting is the ZNR effect by itself, although it does come with the description: "('cvt_dev' patch): 2 wah effects for the price of one"

I wonder if it's 'cos yours is a B1-4 and mine is a B1X-4?

Could you see if this works the other way around? I uploaded a couple of patches a few posts earlier - can you see if you can import them onto your B1-4?

I shall do that - humour me and try downloading the one I just uploaded in case I did something wrong the first time (the patch is better now too)

EDIT: don't bother! It is incompatibility of the two pedals.

Edited by stewblack

2 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I shall do that - humour me and try downloading the one I just uploaded in case I did something wrong the first time (the patch is better now too)

Is that the one from your post half an hour ago (that's the one I downloaded) or is there a newer one?

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

It was from the one 37 minutes ago just a few posts up. But  they are different file types, I'm looking for a workaround but... you can't use patches from different pedals.

Yes that might be where we are getting stuck, which is a shame as the pedals are pretty identical other than the extra wah patches on the B1X-4

You having the same issue not being able to upload my patches posted on Sunday?

On 05/04/2020 at 15:31, Al Krow said:

Haha was just about to go for the easy to upload Zoom patch files. I did post a slap EQ screenshot a little while earlier on this thread but without the dual comp - that should get you started.

The second of the uploaded patches here is EQ only with the comp switched off.

Slap2comp.zb1xf 535 B · 2 downloads SlapEQonly.zb1xf 528 B · 1 download

On 05/04/2020 at 20:32, Bafflegab said:

@Al Krow I’ve tried adding those patches to zoom guitar lab but it’s not having any of it :( tried adding them in to the patch pool but they won’t appear.

if you’re willing to add screenshots that would be awesome, but I totally understand if it’s a pain in the butt 🤣

Hey @Bafflegab would you mind uploading the ToneLib software https://tonelib.net/ (that's the one Stew and are both using and I don't think the Zoom software allows you to save your patches onto your PC for sharing in the same way).

And if you have the B1-4 see if you can download Stew's patch, and if you've got the B1X-4 see if you can download either of my two patches please?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Meanwhile here are a couple of Amp sim patches. Just examples of what kind of thing you can do. first one kind of Ampeggie second one kind of Tracey

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-tgCDoKaShJRdZa_9zL_rSNKaFsG2wLU/view?usp=sharing

Nice! Thanks for sharing that.

@uk_lefty that gives you a feel of what the current batch of Zoom pedals is like with amp sims, which was your specific query.

FWIW - I preferred the TE tone over the Ampeg 😊

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Hey @Bafflegab would you mind uploading the ToneLib software https://tonelib.net/ (that's the one Stew and are both using and I don't think the Zoom software allows you to save your patches onto your PC for sharing in the same way).

And if you have the B1-4 see if you can download Stew's patch, and if you've got the B1X-4 see if you can download either of my two patches please?

Certainly can, however I’ve had a few beers so probably better to try it tomorrow 🤣

• Thanks 1

Shame sharing patches didn't work, this is incredibly long winded!!!

Also just tried it with a different bass and it utterly fails, so there may be very little value in sharing these anyway

image.png.c92f0ed34d2f21750869c254d8a63894.png

image.thumb.png.918a8de0c7e11e21318b3046d9446f3e.png

image.thumb.png.4eb8c28d01100ce19dd5fe72798e7a7b.png

image.thumb.png.09550615596eb233bddb3842c8387853.png

image.thumb.png.22e43f3a9a432ecb816e2394be76eeeb.png

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1