Why become a member? ×

Zoom B1-4 & B3N - Effects patch ideas and tips

Al Krow

On 16/06/2019 at 15:45, operative451 said:

Some patches for you (in attached Zip)

Green is based on Mike Dirnt's sound in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwVKj3whFcs

Duff Slap is trying to get a tone like Duff MCkagen circa Velvet Revolver

Blood FST started out trying to be a sort of Royal Blood thing but then went a bit 'Satan's fairground Organ'/'Choir of Angry Robots'

DrFkenstein is basically the sound of 1970s blacksploitation movies.

And some Guitar Sounds too! 

Stangry is an attempt at ST Anger Period Hetfield

Gun is a Slashy cocked-wah solo tone.

There are screenshots of Zoom Guitar Lab for each in the folder too.  

Have fun!Basschat.zip

Trying to copy Green but it seems like I dont have Reverb Air. How is that possible? I downloaded the latest guitar lab and the pedal's firmware version is 1.10 which is also the latest as far as I know. Are you using b1 four too right? Anyway thanks for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...

Here you go. I use my Low EQ in combination with GlamComp (= Spectracomp) and Zoom Noise Reduction together to form a default 'Clean' patch.

Low EQ

B1X-4 Clean I.png

Glam Comp

B1X-4 Clean II.png

ZNR

B1X-4 Clean III.png

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A little slap bass digression

Been a little while since I've posted on here but, as I'm needing to fill out the sound in one of our bands as we are down one instrumentalist, my B14-X has found it's way onto a small gigging board so I've been messing about with it a little more again recently.

Here's a simple slap tone setting - basically a heavy treble boost with a slight mid cut, which I've slotted into the basic "clean" patch.

GEQ set as follows:

50Hz, 120Hz, flat

400Hz, 500Hz, 800Hz  at minus 5.0

4.5kHz, 10kHz at plus 10.0

B1X-4 Slap.png

Edited by Al Krow

Just now, krispn said:

Look forward to hearing some live samples! You running this with a passive bass or one of your actives?

Maybe a while yet! Just started working through Mark's course on talkingbass; for me, he's one of the best online bass tutors out there.

I've only really got one passive bass these days, so yup it's been on a couple of my actives (the Ibby and Spector).

Do you use slap much or even a little in your live work, to add a bit of spice?

Where the song calls for it yeah. It's not often needed in the stuff we do but there are a couple of the tunes where I can get away with some disco octaves and a slap here or there if I fancy throwing it in. Learning some new covers for a dep gig and it works better in some of those tunes. I tend to do very limited slapping but i can if I need to kinda thing and will mess about more at home then on a gig. It's a very specific sounding technique and doesn't always work regardless of what we think!

MarloweDK has some great slap tutorials too. Learning slap can be a little 'easier' on 4 string but at least it'll mean you're developing good muting technique on the 5'er - the low b can be a pain initially unless you work the example for the e string off the b.

• Thanks 1

Another tip which might help for slapping especially on the more rhythmic stuff is learn/internalise the groove finger style first especially if grasping a certain technical aspect feels a bit tricky first off. Learn the basic feel then apply the techniques.

If you can play along to an example finger style mimicing ghost notes/groove with the right hand then understanding and applying the right hand slap/pop techniques may come easier. Worked for me on some stuff and good way to separate the left and right hand parts when initially learning a new lick/groove.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/05/2019 at 20:38, Al Krow said:

For my part, I'd really like to hear from fellow B1-4 / B3N users out there what your favourite Zoom drive effects / patches are that you have put together and what are you doing to preserve a meaty low end?

Hah! Been a bit of a wall of silence on this one from fellow BC'ers, but given that drives are probably the single most commonly used effect bar none, I've been meaning to post a note on this for a little while and also to try something out...

In terms of a juicy drive on the B1-4 / B3N the "Squeak" effect, which I've renamed Rat Tail for obvious reasons given what it's looking to model, is definitely my favourite. As a drive it's more punchy than either the MXR-DI or the Dark Pre effects, but unfortunately it loses more low end than either of the other two (the MXR-DI effect seems to be best for retaining low end). This is despite me introducing a 50:50 wet/dry mix into the effect patch itself. Didn't seem to be any way around this particular conundrum until I picked up an used Boss LS-2 recently. I tried the B1-4 in the LS-2's send / return loop and blended the Rat Tail with clean from the bass (rather than synthetic "clean" through the B1-4: it's not a particularly good by-pass in the effect itself) and bingo! Meaty low end plus a delicious drive. Hmmm...I can see myself getting a little mini board at this rate to set up the LS-2 and the B1-4

Summary: B1-4 Squeak drive effect + clean blend with Boss LS-2 = very usable Rat Tail drive

10 minutes ago, krispn said:

How does it stack up against the hxfx with the rat type drive and parallel signal path? I’d have thought that would get a pretty solid tone and an all in one gigging solution?

I'm sure the HX FX knocks it out the park. But that's not the point of this thread! 

1 minute ago, krispn said:

Ahh I didn’t realise it was a Zoom/Boss LS2 thread😀

Well it's certainly not an HX Effects tips and ideas thread - haha! I think you'll find another one dedicated to precisely that. Be a good place to post your query 😉

3 hours ago, Bafflegab said:

I’m gonna have a mess around to find the best slap setting for my ears.  That’s the one thing missing from this unit for me so far

Cool - I look forward to what you end up with and whether it's similar to the basic slap patch I shared above.

On 10/02/2020 at 23:29, Al Krow said:

Cool - I look forward to what you end up with and whether it's similar to the basic slap patch I shared above.

Okay I threw this together, it's quite similar to the EBSlap patch, but with a bit more grunt.  Switched the high eq pedal out for the excited and messed with some settings.  Let me know what you think?

20200211_215735.jpg

20200211_215740.jpg

20200211_215749.jpg

20200211_215751.jpg

20200211_215753.jpg

20200211_215803.jpg

20200211_215810.jpg

20200212_131217.jpg

• Like 1

Been playing around with a bunch of different wah options on the B1 Four. Thought I'd start to share.

The Bass A-Wah on this series of Zoom pedals is definitely an upgrade on previous iterations. More liquid, very simple to set.

I used the HPF set at 50 and then a compressor as the first 2 in line - set those up how you prefer or leave them it doesn't matter, then the Ba Octave, Bass A-Wah and the PEQ at the end as the sound was thinner than the bypassed signal so I fattened the very bottom.

1019254268_OctoWah!.thumb.jpg.9c0fcb5b80b6a83a7a5e597462877c96.jpg

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 4