Why become a member? ×

Zoom B1-4 & B3N - Effects patch ideas and tips

Al Krow

Hey @stewblack agreed laborious (but thanks for sharing). You and I seem to both prefer ToneLib, partly as it allows us to back up patches. 

The Zoom editor AFAIK doesn't allow us to back-up patches except on Zoom’s own website (cheeky monkeys, if that is indeed the case!)

But when I uploaded it last week I found it does two useful things:

1) recognises all the patches you've created and uploaded onto your pedal already, and

2) provides a summary screenshot of all the individual effects, so instead of 4 screenshots for 4 effects you get everything in one (see my post from last week). Much less laborious!! 

Edited by Al Krow

22 minutes ago, Bafflegab said:

Ok I've downloaded the ToneLib Zoom, seems quite a lot better than Zoom's own software so thanks for that :D

Have got Stew's patch no problems, but Al Krow, your patch is only showing a ZNR, which I assume isn't right?

Yup my patch is as per my April 5th post.

I'm going to guess from that you have the B1-4 and not the B1X-4 model? If that's correct then what we seem to have spotted between us this past week is that file sharing can be done with the ToneLib software for exactly the same model Zoom pedal i.e. you and Stew can download each others patches with your B1-4s but me with a B1X-4 or anyone with the B3N won't be able to i.e. we will only be able to from other B1X-4 or B3N owners separately. Bit annoying but, the fact that a) ToneLib is completely free and b) allows file-sharing in this manner at all (which the Zoom software doesn't seem to allow unless you want to upload to their website) I guess means we shouldn't complain too much!

You're the only person I know who's so far worked with both software editors - what is it about ToneLib's that you prefer over Zoom's? That's something worth sharing with other folk who are thinking of going down one or other route, and I guess adds to the usefulness of us being able to file share which ToneLib provides.

50 minutes ago, Bafflegab said:

Just everything about it really, visually more appealing, more user friendly, seems to work better.  Everything laid out in one place rather than doing the stuff in different areas.  I preferred it so much that I’ve uninstalled the Zoom GuitarLab software 

Are you sure you want to pull your punches here? 😁

FWIW - I'm going to keep the Zoom software installed just for ease of being able to provide y'all with single rather than multiple screenshot for any future patch shares, should the opportunity present itself. So it sounds like there's been a bit of positive cross pollination here! 

• 3 months later...

Darn it, all that was needed on the Fat Tube drive sim was to turn its patch vol down, so that there is no vol spike when it's engaged, and it was a bloomin' good substitute for my favourite dedicated drive pedal which costs a LOT more than the B1-4. Wasn't expecting that!

UPDATE - replacing the AG 750 with the SWR 400 amp sim, gives added crunch! Taking the gain down to 30 on the BlueB BOD get's it close to perfection. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Tip: B1-4 placement at end of your board

Took me far too long to realise this, but for me the answer is end of the board!

The two key minuses of putting it at the end, for me, are not being able to have the Zoom's octaves early in the signal chain, or being able to feed octave and fuzz from the Zoom into a filter pedal.

The three big plusses are a) being able to access the whole pedal board when using it is as a headphone amp b) (perhaps less important) having modulation effects at the end to impact everything that's gone before and c) this was the killer for me: the drum machine, which is great for practice and laying down tracks into a looper, is (quite rightly) in parallel with the Zoom's fx channel and is not impacted by it, but will be affected by any pedals coming after it. So if you want a clean drum from your Zoom, you'll need the B1-4 at the end of your signal chain.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I wanted to ask some ??’s on the zoom b1x four. I had just purchased this tool and not getting what I really want out of my sound. I haven’t made any of my own patches yet ( trying to figure out the basics). Growing up I’am a true 80’s metal head. Now I’am playing in a praise and worship band and wanted to create a deep, thick, ringing out tone. And also a synth sound that is simple ( not to crazy) for Sunday’s? I haven’t hooked up to zooms patches on the pc yet to create my own sound but just wondering if anyone had any ideas? Any help would be great! Great forum and keep up the good work on this forum!     Rock on🤘 Spike

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the Zoom B1X Four (Thanks to Alfie Noakes...) Down loaded the Zoom Guitar Lab Software to the laptop and updated the Zoom's Firmware to V2

Thinking of backing-up the standard patches, and effects, removing them all, then loading up some of the effects in batches to patches to see what i like in stomp mode...

Primary use is as a headphone amp... will have alook at the Amp and Cab sims to see whats what but really after a Marshall #1992 Super Bass Head circa 1976 kinda sound. with some drive, then a bit of phaser or flanger and spot of delay for some Hawkwind-esq Space Bass... what would be closest?

Any pointers on the use of a Zoom and recommended settings to try would be most welcome.

Looking forward to having a play latter... when my youngest has finished his Minecraft-ing.

Edited by PaulThePlug

@Old rocker and @PaulThePlug - gents congrats on the new purchase. The B1-4 is the best value pedal on the market bar none!!

Worth the price as an easy to use LED lit tuner, and headphone amp with aux in. Then there's a really useful drum machine for home practice and it's already easily paid for itself before you've used ANY of its effects - lol!

There are a few patch settings on this thread you could try out and a fair few experienced hands e.g. @stewblack and @JohnDaBass whose brains you can pick.

My advice for starting out would be:

(i) work through each of the pre-loaded patches and delete all the ones you're never likely to use (about 80% in my case!);

(ii) download the free editing software from Tonelib and start creating your own patches. The software makes it both easy and fun: https://tonelib.net/

(iii) get yourself a decent quality USB cable to connect up your B1-4 to your PC; 

(iv) be aware that this £60 box of tricks won't do everything amazingly well - it would be unreasonable to think that it could and why I've still got a bunch of dedicated pedals to use alongside it;

(v) for the patches you're keeping / creating - adjust the effects output so that you get a similar volume on each patch as you do on clean by-pass

(vi) I've recently discovered the Tape Echo on the B1-4 and OMG it's just so delicious!! Example attached of what Tape Echo sounds like with the fuzz and filter on my board and the B1-4 also providing the beat. And finally...

(vii) don't be too surprised if you find yourself having a lot fun using this hugely clever budget bag of tricks :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@Old rocker and @PaulThePlug - gents congrats on the new purchase. The B1-4 is the best value pedal on the market bar none!!

Worth the price as an easy to use LED lit tuner, and headphone amp with aux in. Then there's a really useful drum machine option for home practice and it's already easily paid for itself before you've used ANY of its effects - lol!

There are a few patch settings on this thread you could try out and a fair few experienced hands e.g. @stewblack and @JohnDaBass whose brains you can pick.

My advice for starting out would be:

(i) work through each of the pre-loaded patches and delete all the ones you're never likely to use (about 80% in my case!);

(ii) download the free editing software from Tonelib and start creating your own patches. The software makes it both easy and fun: https://tonelib.net/

(iii) get yourself a decent quality USB cable to connect up your B1-4 to your PC; 

Al speaks truth. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Chienmortbb said:

They left the Z Organ off but it’s no dealbreaker. I have just ordered one,

Actually I've just spotted that I attached a May 2019 list of effects which I downloaded from when I bought my B1(X)-4 - I've since replaced it with a B1-4 as I wanted the extra space on my board and I wasn't making much use of the built in expression / volume pedal.

So there may be an updated effects list knocking about...

• 3 weeks later...

Just spent a bit of timing getting the volume balanced on each of my dirt patches on my B1-4 and took the opportunity to tweak / cull a few. Down to my 4 favourites:

• B7K - this is surprisingly good and has got a 4 band EQ, clean blend and bass boost, so there really is pretty minimal low end loss;
  • BlueB BOD (FatTubes patch) - which is a sim of the Mad Professor Blueberry BOD;
  • BassOctFuzz - adds an octave above (I guess similar to the Pigtronix Octavia, but doesn't cut through as well as the Octavia);
  • RAT (Squeak patch) - which unlike the original ProCo RAT adds in a (vital) dry blend.

I continue to be gobsmacked by how good this multifx is for the money!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

On 17/10/2020 at 18:10, Al Krow said:

Down to my 4 favourites:

• B7K - this is surprisingly good and has got a 4 band EQ, clean blend and bass boost, so there really is pretty minimal low end loss;
  • BlueB BOD (FatTubes patch) - which is a sim of the Mad Professor Blueberry BOD;
  • BassOctFuzz - adds an octave above (I guess similar to the Pigtronix Octavia, but doesn't cut through as well as the Octavia);
  • RAT (Squeak patch) - which unlike the original ProCo RAT adds in a (vital) dry blend.

Any chance of sharing your settings O Wise One, so we can all worship at the alter of Al Krow Lord of the Zoom B1Four Tone Master?😎

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Any chance of sharing your settings O Wise One, so we can all worship at the alter of Al Krow Lord of the Zoom B1Four Tone Master?😎

Lol! With pleasure. I'm actually now pretty happy with my overall banks of B1-4 fx - I've got them organised in the 5 banks (of max 10) for easy access with a few fx patches in each bank, under:

• Modulation & Delay
  • Dirt
  • Octave, Filter & Synth
  • Amp & Cab
  • Other

I don't know if I can share a single file with all the settings via ToneLib or if I am restricted to individual patches - I'll have a look into that. I presume you have downloaded and are using ToneLib John?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

On 01/10/2020 at 09:25, Chienmortbb said:

Is the Z Organ effect that is in the B1(X) ON in the B1(X) Four?

The Marshall Super Bass Head / Drive that was on the B1xOn has also been left off the B1xFour...

No 'Marshall' Amp and Cab Sim! - What were they thinking? and I'm SAD...

Any Ideas for a nearest amp, cab and settings?

Edited by PaulThePlug

15 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

The Marshall Super Bass Head / Drive that was on the B1xOn has also been left off the B1xFour...

No 'Marshall' Amp and Cab Sim! - What were they thinking? and I'm SAD...

Any Ideas for a nearest amp, cab and settings?

OK when was the last time there was a thread on Marshall amps? Probably the same time as we were gushing over what a Vox AC30 provided when we had long hair and played the guitar! 😁

I have no recollection these days of what a Marshall bass amp sounds like; you're maybe gonna have settle for Ampeg or SWR like the rest of us... 

• Haha 1

@JohnDaBass here you go John - my 4 dirt patches and a few of my others - available to download directly onto your Zoom B1-4 via ToneLib

B1-4 DG B7K.zb1f B1-4 BlueB BOD.zb1f B1-4 BOF.zb1f B1-4 RAT.zb1f B1-4 TapeEcho300.zb1f B1-4 OctDnFuzz.zb1f B1-4 Z-Synth.zb1f

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1