Why become a member? ×

Zoom B1-4 & B3N - Effects patch ideas and tips

Al Krow

51 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Just realised I'm sharing pictures when we can just share the patch itself DURRRR

Here is my Double Wah so called because, well, it's obvious really.

Double Wah.zb1f 607 B · 1 download

Yeah, but the pictures are really useful to see how it's been pulled together (well for me anyway!) before downloading, so please don't desist! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see a B1X-4 in action!

Out of interest, what particular effects are you using it for and do you get to use the expression pedal much on it?

19 hours ago, King Tut said:

This'll be my pedalboard set up. Black Ric 4003, an old Trace AH300 GP7 SM and an Eden Nemesis 4 x 10.

IMG_20200224_174229583.jpg

Looking forward to seeing you play live with your band on March 13th! (Any other BC'ers planning on going to see 'STRAY' then please give me and @PJ-Bassist a shout and we can meet up for a beer).

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Great to see a B1X-4 in action!

Out of interest, what particular effects are you using it for and do you get to use the expression pedal much on it?

Looking forward to seeing you play live with your band on March 13th! (Any other BC'ers planning on going to see 'STRAY' then please give me and @PJ-Bassist a shout and we can meet up for a beer).

I've got about five or six patches set up - a standard patch with just volume pedal and noise reduction, then the same with a chorus and High Pass Filter. I've got another patch set up using a muff for fuzz, then one for the intro for 'all in your mind'. That was an awkward one because I have to keep switching between clean, intro and fuzz throughout the song so I've set up a chain of patches with some duplicated so I can just shift up sequentially thru the chain. I use the unibass in a couple of places dependent on which songs we're playing and the chorus on one or two songs set up on a fairly extreme setting. Comp is always on unless there's a comp on the amp. See you at The Garage!! Just on our way to Sutton for the first date!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoJo said:

Do you use the comps on the B1X-4 or the Spectracomp

I'm using the spectracomp at the moment. Mostly because I occasionally use different basses with differing outputs. I only have to adjust one pedal rather than all my patches. Also I sometimes use an amp with a built in comp that I might use.

17 minutes ago, King Tut said:

I'm using the spectracomp at the moment. Mostly because I occasionally use different basses with differing outputs. I only have to adjust one pedal rather than all my patches. Also I sometimes use an amp with a built in comp that I might use.

You do realise I'm going to ask you to randomly switch off your comp mid song, at your March 13th gig, and see if any of us in the audience notice! Although tbf the Spectracomp is quite coloured, as comps go, so we hopefully will! 😁

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You do realise I'm going to ask you to randomly switch off your comp mid song, at your March 13th gig, and see if any of us in the audience notice! Although tbf the Spectracomp is quite coloured, as comps go, so we hopefully will! 😁

Ha ha I'll try to remember. I'm using a patch called Red Headed Bastard that I beamed in via my phone!

• Like 1

Not really a patch idea as such! But managed to find a board that was "made" for the B1X-4 / B1-4 and is bargain basement to boot: the HB 50M. What I would say is avoid the unnecessarily cavernous hard case that it is paired with! 

Here's what I'm thinking of having on my micro board to show you what a good size it is for the Zoom multi:

PB - 2003 HB Concept.jpg

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Not really a patch idea as such! But managed to find a board that was "made" for the B1X-4 / B1-4 and is bargain basement to boot: the HB 50M. What I would say is avoid the unnecessarily cavernous hard case that it is paired with! 

Here's what I'm thinking of having on my micro board to show you what a good size it is for the Zoom multi:

PB - 2003 HB Concept.jpg

This interests me. My main board is full but I use the Tri Parallel Mixer and an always on pedal in front of it. 

Not in front as in the chain 🔗 but physically in front, currently on the floor. A little board like this would be just the ticket 🎫 

Just got a B1 four to use as a headphone practice amp. It was by far the cheapest way of getting a tuner, pre-amp, aux in mixer and headphone amp. Plus a free basic metronome/drum machine and a looper.

Shame the usb can't be used as an audio interface too.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Old fart said:

I need something on the b1x4 to give me the "Royal blood" sound. I thought I read it had an up octave before I bought it. Appreciate any help

It does have both octave up and down. If you go to the Modulation section, there are 3 variable pitch shift effects (PitchSHFT, HPS, BaMn Pitch) you could try and one that just does octave down only (Ba Octave). Set the pitch shift interval to -12 for octave down and +12 for octave up, +5 for a fifth up etc. 

But I don't think that a Zoom multifx is going to get you there on a rich royal blood sound - for me one of things the Zoom effects don't do well is any form of pitch shifting including octave up, although octave down seems to be fine. If you create a patch with multiple intervals you're going to get a disappointing sonic mush. 

For me that's down to the fact you have a £75 multifx with corresponding chip processor power not a £350+ multifx and higher end processors that you have in the Helix. 

Edited by Al Krow

Speaking of Royal Blood, or at least the commoners' version of said fluid, I went with my Digitech Mosaic instead of the Red Ripper on my mini board and having it dialled in at just 3/10 provides a really nice octave up thickening without dominating the bass line. SMR400 amp setting on the B1X-4 plus clean blend via the LS2 and that's just the ticket for a bit of Billie Eilesh Bad Guy! (Which is such a fun bass line to be play btw). 

So @Old fart if you're trying to get a decent octave up / down combination I don't think you're going to get there with a B1X-4 by itself, something more like this will get you closer:

PB - 2003mini III.jpg

Edited by Al Krow

Just to say thanks to @Al Krow for starting this thread, and to the posters putting up their patches. 👍

I'm sure they're about to go out of fashion, but I've just bought a used B3N from somebody on fleabay (with the optional FP02M expression pedal), to be hopefully delivered some time next week!

Was waiting for something suitable (B1, B3) to be listed on BC, and typical, just after I bought one -- I see somebody has now put a B3 up for sale on here (which would have been ideal).

Anyway -- Primary reason for purchase is to allow #1 son to use it as a headphone amp with 'all the toys', but I'm damned well going to have a play with it myself first!

😃

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bafflegab said:

I’d love to try those slap patches out, if you’re willing to share!

With pleasure - just pulling you onto this thread for that. Hopefully you fine with downloading the patches themselves via the ToneLib or Zoom editing software.

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Just to say thanks to @Al Krow for starting this thread, and to the posters putting up their patches. 👍

You're very welcome. And FWIW I've been making the most of my B1X-4 as a headphone amp (as well as a multifx with my rig) this past lockdown week! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

With pleasure - just pulling you onto this thread for that. Are you fine with downloading the patches themselves via the ToneLib or Zoom editing software (see Stewblack's contribution above) or would you prefer to dial in manually yourself via screenshots of the effects as earlier in the thread. Stew's approach is definitely the quicker! Either way I'll try to get that sorted for you in the next 24 hours

Thanks!  Screenshots are best for me, I’ll have a browse through this thread and see if I can find them :) 

I can happily try downloading them as well!  

Edited by Bafflegab

4 minutes ago, Bafflegab said:

Thanks!  Screenshots are best for me, I’ll have a browse through this thread and see if I can find them :) 

Haha was just about to go for the easy to upload Zoom patch files. I did post a slap EQ screenshot a little while earlier on this thread but without the dual comp - that should get you started.

The second of the uploaded patches here is EQ only with the comp switched off.

Slap2comp.zb1xf SlapEQonly.zb1xf

Edited by Al Krow

On 16/02/2020 at 13:25, stewblack said:

Just realised I'm sharing pictures when we can just share the patch itself DURRRR

Here is my Double Wah so called because, well, it's obvious really.

Double Wah.zb1f 607 B · 11 downloads

Stew - tried downloading your patch and all that is coming up is a clean bypass?

• Confused 1

@Bafflegab - that's interesting (and a shame). Do you have the B1X-4 or the B1-4?

I'm using the ToneLib software - wonder if there's an issue uploading to Zoom Guitar Lab because of that?

I'm going to have a go uploading my patches using the Zoom software (and see if that is also the fix for Stewblack's patch for me) and if that doesn't work for you, I'll go down the old fashioned screenshot route.

In the meantime, could you see if you can upload Stewblack's patch that he uploaded for us a few posts back and see if that works on yours (it didn't on mine - maybe the Zoom vs ToneLib issue again)?

Slap patch II

Can use with dual comp off or on. Although it's a bit 'noisier' with dual comp on, that's my default setting for this patch - it just seems to work better for slap.

I've not worked out how to save patches onto my PC for sharing with the Zoom software yet, having just started using it this evening (very straightforward  saving patches to PC on ToneLib, but not sure whether even possible with the Zoom editing software - so please do share if you have already sorted out how to do this) - but it does make doing a screenshot of the whole patch a doddle! 

B1X-4 Slap.png

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

@Bafflegab - that's interesting (and a shame). Do you have the B1X-4 or the B1-4?

I'm using the ToneLib software - wonder if there's an issue uploading to Zoom Guitar Lab because of that?

I'm going to have a go uploading my patches using the Zoom software (and see if that is also the fix for Stewblack's patch for me) and if that doesn't work for you, I'll go down the old fashioned screenshot route.

In the meantime, could you see if you can upload Stewblack's patch that he uploaded for us a few posts back and see if that works on yours (it didn't on mine - maybe the Zoom vs ToneLib issue again)?

I also tried Stewblack’s, it also didn’t work.  I wonder why?  Maybe the memory on mine is full.  I’m using the B1-Four.

50 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Slap patch II

Can use with dual comp off or on. Although it's a bit 'noisier' with dual comp on, that's my default setting for this patch - it just seems to work better for slap.

I've not worked out how to save patches onto my PC for sharing with the Zoom software yet, having just started using it this evening (very straightforward  saving patches to PC on ToneLib, but not sure whether even possible with the Zoom editing software - so please do share if you have already sorted out how to do this) - but it does make doing a screenshot of the whole patch a doddle! 

B1X-4 Slap.png

Thanks for this, that’s awesome.  I’ll get that programmed into mine tomorrow