Why become a member? ×

1U Audio and MIDI interface

BigRedX

I have finally had to admit defeat in my efforts to securely mount my half-width Focusrite Saffire Pro24 interface in my live use rack and have decided that the only way to achieve what I want in a reliable way is to get an interface that is properly rack mountable - ideally with rack ears that are part of the casing.

The Saffire Pro24 does everything I need in terms of connectivity, it is currently being used with a 13" MacBook Pro 2012 model (running El Capitan) which has 1x FW800, 1 x Thunderbolt (1?), 2 x USB 3.

What I definitely need:

1. Must interface and work with my current MacBook Pro with El Capitan and Logic 9, and any other Mac made between 2012 and the current line up, and with all versions of Mac OS from El Capitan to Mojave, and Logic X.

2. Must be designed to fit into 1U of rack space and come with all the required fixings either as part of the unit's case, or as a rack mounting kit designed specifically for the device in question that will hold it securely and safely in the rack while being transported. IME rack trays and and other DIY bodges simply aren't reliable enough.

3. Must have at least six line-level balanced outputs.

4. Must have MIDI In and Out on DIN or XLR sockets.

5. Must have an internal PSU or be capable of being powered directly from its connection to the Mac.

Any other features are a bonus but are not necessary. TBH as the interface I already have is fine apart from the fact it can't be securely rack-mounted, I don't really want to spent lots of money on a new interface that has lots of stuff I don't need on it just so I can properly rack mount it.

maybe @Sibob would care to make some suggestions?

Edited by BigRedX

Hey bud,

TL;DR
Scarlett 18i20 or Clarett 8Pre to start your search :)

Could you clarify point 5 for me?
You're highly unlikely to find a bus-powered interface with the features you require, but I also just want to clarify what you mean by "internal PSU". I take it to mean that it should simply require an IEC cable, and not a wall-wart?!

Pending your answers, then from a Focusrite perspective, you're looking at a Scarlett 18i20 (USB), or a Clarett 8Pre (USB or Thunderbolt). If budget is no object, any of the Red range would be great too.
The Red 16Line would be the only interface in the above line-up which would require a connection adapter for your computer, but I'm guessing the Red's are overkill for what you need.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers
Si // Focusrite

2 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Hey bud,

TL;DR
Scarlett 18i20 or Clarett 8Pre to start your search :)

Could you clarify point 5 for me?
You're highly unlikely to find a bus-powered interface with the features you require, but I also just want to clarify what you mean by "internal PSU". I take it to mean that it should simply require an IEC cable, and not a wall-wart?!

Pending your answers, then from a Focusrite perspective, you're looking at a Scarlett 18i20 (USB), or a Clarett 8Pre (USB or Thunderbolt). If budget is no object, any of the Red range would be great too.
The Red 16Line would be the only interface in the above line-up which would require a connection adapter for your computer, but I'm guessing the Red's are overkill for what you need.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers
Si // Focusrite

Fantastic thanks!

The Scarlet 18i20 appears to do what I need and is the cheapest of the three.

Regarding point 5, I meant something that does not require a wall-wart PSU but simply uses an IEU cable between the mains sockets and the device. I'm not a fan of external PSUs for live use. In this case it would mean another item to secure inside the rack and a less reliable connection between the low voltage side of the PSU and the device being powered.

For the same reason I'm not keen on connection adaptors unless they are a single cable with the required plugs at either end that goes between the computer and the device. IME every additional connection is a potential point of failure that will happen at the most inconvenient time at a gig and normally require disassembling the rack to fix.

9 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Fantastic thanks!

The Scarlet 18i20 appears to do what I need and is the cheapest of the three.

Regarding point 5, I meant something that does not require a wall-wart PSU but simply uses an IEU cable between the mains sockets and the device. I'm not a fan of external PSUs for live use. In this case it would mean another item to secure inside the rack and a less reliable connection between the low voltage side of the PSU and the device being powered.

For the same reason I'm not keen on connection adaptors unless they are a single cable with the required plugs at either end that goes between the computer and the device. IME every additional connection is a potential point of failure that will happen at the most inconvenient time at a gig and normally require disassembling the rack to fix.

All makes perfect sense. Yes the 18i20 sounds perfect from what you describe :)

Si // Focusrite 

• 1 month later...