Why become a member? ×

NBD, and a pleasant surprise...Jack Casady content...

Muzz

So I traded a bass for a Jack Casady, because I've had a semi-acoustic itch I've been wanting to scratch for a while (steadyyyy...), and I'd imagined it'd become a pleasant-looking but kinda oddity bass in the collection. I put some new D'Addario nickel rounds on it, plugged it in and had a play. The 50 and 250 settings on the VariGain switch were a bit Meh, but I tried the 500 setting and Blimey Charlie what a sound! I'm predominantly a pick player, and it's got a terrific bark to it that I really like.

What is this mystic voodoo? All my other basses have very versatile active 6-pot EQs, and this just nails a great sound with one switch. I'm gigging it at the weekend to see if that sound's all in my headphones, but hopefully not.

Does anyone know what that pickup is? I'm presuming a single coil of some sort...I'd like to know more about the fixed VariGain/EQ point, too; anyone know what that's actually doing? I'm going to be going back to my other basses now with a view to seeing if I can get that sound from them.

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 2

On 03/05/2019 at 04:51, Muzz said:

So I traded a bass for a Jack Casady, because I've had a semi-acoustic itch I've been wanting to scratch for a while (steadyyyy...), and I'd imagined it'd become a pleasant-looking but kinda oddity bass in the collection. I put some new D'Addario nickel rounds on it, plugged it in and had a play. The 50 and 250 settings on the VariGain switch were a bit Meh, but I tried the 500 setting and Blimey Charlie what a sound! I'm predominantly a pick player, and it's got a terrific bark to it that I really like.

What is this mystic voodoo? All my other basses have very versatile active 6-pot EQs, and this just nails a great sound with one switch. I'm gigging it at the weekend to see if that sound's all in my headphones, but hopefully not.

Does anyone know what that pickup is? I'm presuming a single coil of some sort...I'd like to know more about the fixed VariGain/EQ point, too; anyone know what that's actually doing? I'm going to be going back to my other basses now with a view to seeing if I can get that sound from them.

A reviewer on Sweetwater commented on the VariTone impedance switch. I can't personally comment because I've never played one, but here's what the man said:

Lots of misinformation everywhere about this switch and what it does. The impedance switch on the Casady is NOT a VariTone circuit.  

A real VariTone has selective frequency cuts and shifts your tone tremendously. The Casady impedance switch has NO change to your tone while it allows you to pick three radically different volume levels for the same tone with no loss of highs or detail or tone.

Compare that with regular volume controls which typically kill your tone when you turn down. This switch does NOT kill tone. You can set the low volume (50) to match your stage amp for a clean tone and then use the two louder settings for more punch for solos.

Or you can set the loudest setting as your "normal sound" and dial it back WITH NO LOSS OF TONE by using the lower switch positions. Your choice.

This bass, in other words, has a tremendous dynamic range!

Set it up with favorite strings and get your best bass sound---then use that tone at ALL different volume levels. Louder for solos and less for background backup.

The bass by itself has a distinctive classy tone and this switch allows you to do the most possible with dynamic attack!!! Just like Jack.

And the fact that all this control is at your fingertips means you can get sounds normally only possible in the studio---but LIVE through your amp on stage!

I hope this helps. W.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I too was pleasantly surprised when i got mine back in Nov. A lovely red 20th anniversary edition. 

Surprised that the bridge popped off when i tried to tune it after opening the box, surprised  at the neck dive and surprised at how un comfortable, and painful it was on my right forearm. 

Also surprised at how much i loved the look and tone, and how nice the neck played :-). I really wish i could have kept it but it just wasn’t for me. The one bass i really regret getting rid of but i know it went to a good home. 

• Like 2

I've had a couple of them, great basses but just didn't really fit in with what I play. I'd definitely have another if I wasn't committed to playing six string bass at the moment.

Never had any trouble with mine - not bridge trouble nor neck dive. Played quite a few blues gigs with them and they sounded great. Look cool, too!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I've had a couple of them, great basses but just didn't really fit in with what I play. I'd definitely have another if I wasn't committed to playing six string bass at the moment.

Never had any trouble with mine - not bridge trouble nor neck dive. Played quite a few blues gigs with them and they sounded great. Look cool, too!

Interesting you never had any neck dive, as its a known ‘feature’. I got a very wide grippy strap and that fixed it, more or less. 

I will get one again, maybe when i give up playing in bands. 

5 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Interesting you never had any neck dive, as its a known ‘feature’. I got a very wide grippy strap and that fixed it, more or less. 

I will get one again, maybe when i give up playing in bands. 

Neither of mine had any problem with neck dive, but I play with a pick, so my forearm is often resting against the body on these semi-acoustics, which probably counters the neck-heaviness.

Well it didnt in my case, and i too play 100% with a pick. Maybe you have your bass slung lower than I like  it quite high.

it was never a real problem as such, just noticeable and needed correcting. 

What i found more of a problem was the way it would tilt forward, away from me. Although my forearm would rest on it it still felt strange at first. 

I don't like having my basses too high, that's true. And I had forgotten about the tendency to tip forward, though my right forearm stopped it from being a problem. One of these would look just right for the early Dead stuff we play but our sets mix early and late material as randomly as the Dead did!

I always thought the way JC wears his bass would be  a bit too low for me, but once i had it strapped on it actually felt its the best way to wear it. Low and to the side. In my usual position I found the edge would cut in to my forearm after a while. 

I could have used it for everything in our set, but my P bass just seemed to fit better for most things and I’m not one to change basses during a gig. 

On 03/05/2019 at 09:51, Muzz said:

The pickup is a low impedance humbucker and the impedance switch (the 50/100/250 switch) controls what impedance the pickup sees at the output transformer.

Ah yes....I've just found the wiring diagram I remember finding

jcbschematic-gif-gif.2532161

They're fantastic basses....I'd not put up with the, shall we say 'balance issues', if it didn't sound so good.

• 2 months later...

playing with a pick gave me the advantage of resting my forearm on the body, so forward tilting wasn’t as much of an issue compared to neck tilt, but you get used to it. 

I have read that some put the strap pin on the top horn like a traditional bass, but you do need to put a block of wood inside as the screw can easily be pulled out through the thin body. 

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:51, Muzz said:

this thread is worthless without what 2.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...