Why become a member? ×

Stingray Special or Classic?

Raslee

Hi Chatters, I'm soon to be in the market for a Stingray and generally have my heart set on a Stingray Special, Aqua Sparkle/ebony board hopefully, but, I'm am also curious about the Stingray classics and ones come up locally that i like but may be put off if over 9.5lbs. I am still yet to try both but will try before buying if shelling out £2k+ on a Special, a secondhand classic will be cheaper no doubt.  I am aware of the obvious differences between the two basses, 2 band v's new style 18V 3 band, slab body, weight etc but I'm just wondering if anyone here has playing experience of both and wished to share their wisdom,  thoughts, and opinions. 

StRay4HEAQS-large.jpg.d447727c9595d2e74f54355f6e7dd6dd.jpg   class.thumb.jpg.cb31f680144d1feabcd3e6d8d9412d10.jpg

Edited by Raslee

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a classic as light as 9.5lb.

but I have seen even some 5 string Specials at 8.5 

They do exist. I have a Classic at 8.9 lbs and a Classic 5 at 9.3 lbs. Both my Old Smoothies (essentially Classics with the slab body, albeit alder not ash) are under 9.5 lbs - 8.8 lbs and 9.4 lbs.

• Like 1

I have a Special and an Old Smoothie, which is not quite a Classic but is a cousin perhaps. 

They are both so different, I’m more drawn to each one on different days, depending on my mood/vibe.

Knowing how much you loved that Sabre, tread carefully! 

In short, I can’t help you here 😂

Cheers for the comments guys. I like the analogy of choosing between children 😂.....they're all great of course.

Prior to posting i did the usual research and there was some comparisons going on across the pond with Classic's V's normal Stingray and Normal V's Special  etc so i drew some ideas from that. What I didn't really get a sense of was the sound of the Classic and Special. There was a little nod towards the Classics sounding warmer than Standards and being able to tame that Stingray top end 'zing' on the Specials with new preamp but that was about it.

I've owned several Standard Stingrays previously, 2 & 3 bands, a Slab Pre EB albeit without the original electronics and a couple Sterling Stingrays (The Indonesian ones), currently own a Sterling Ray34CA too with a slab body so know what to expect in terms of ergonomics.

Incidentally I've planned a family trip to Bristol this Sunday, and by sheer coincidence (ahem!) there happens to be a PMT music shop in Bristol open on a Sunday ;)......their website shows the range of Stingrays I'm interested in, if they have them in stock at Bristol is another matter but a quick phone call later will solve that one. 

Edited by Raslee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've owned a few Stingrays (2 and 3 band) plus a SUB (2 band) in my time, and have to say my current Stingray Classic is by some measure the best of the bunch.   What really stands out for me is the exceptional sustain (due to the through body bridge) which is so good, I'm having to resort to the mutes a lot of the time just to avoid having to side hand-damp to control it and get my usual licks down (nice problem to have though)

I used to own a Steinberger XL2 graphite and sustain is in the same ballpark its that good.   Finish is outstanding - more traditional than the new Specials obviously and the birdseye neck is an object of beauty.   I've been playing for about 34 years and used to say my old '88 2EQ 'Ray was the best wooden bass I'd owned, the XL2 was the best bass I'd owned.    The Classic surpasses them both, cannot recommend highly enough.

Edited by MattM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Chiliwailer said:

Congrats! Nice one 👍

Cheers man. It certainly wasn't impulse, spent 4hrs with it (my wife still isn't talking to me), before it came out the shop with me....i can't fault it at all  :D

• Like 2

Just now, Raslee said:

Cheers man. It certainly wasn't impulse, spent 4hrs with it (my wife still isn't talking to me), before it came out the shop with me....i can't fault it at all  :D

That’s a great way to buy a bass (wife issues aside!) 

My Special is a maple neck, but I’m such a fan of those big slab ebony boards, absolutely awesome necks. The colour is just so nice in the flesh too, great score you got there. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Raslee said:

Ended up in Birmingham....the shop had the one i wanted despite being told a few days ago they hadn't....the rest is history....i'm happy....and skint  :D

IMG_8788.JPG

Congratulations - these are fabulous basses. I use mine most of the time and the aqua sparkle has some great effects dependent on lighting 👍

18 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Congratulations - these are fabulous basses. I use mine most of the time and the aqua sparkle has some great effects dependent on lighting 👍

I seriously love this bass!

• 2 months later...

I recently got a Stingray special and hands down can say it’s the best stingray I’ve ever played I think it sounds completely different to say an older three band eq and of course the classic. I’d say it nails both the sounds but has it’s own sound of that makes sense. The neck is fantastic and the improvements they have done may look like nothing but you sure get a lot more tones out of the special

• Like 3