Why become a member? ×

Living room headphone config? help!

Guest Marcoelwray

Guest Marcoelwray

Hello Hello

I've got, let's say, a "problem"....

Currently my studio is in the basement, and I like to play in the living room, but I need to be more quiet of course.

So I'm looking into the Phil Jones BigHead Mobile, the Palmer Bass Preamp, etc... But the main feature on the PJ to me is, of course, the Li-Ion battery.

So far I use my Roland Duo Catpure, but I have to power it up with a 9V PSU, then my bass goes to the reverb effect (Digitech Polara), ang go back into the Duo Capture.

Anyway, that is a lot of cables, it's really not practical and if I want to record or play downstairs I have to take my sound device, the PSU, the reverb, the cables...

My question (utopic) is: what could be the more practical way to play silent in the living room? I'd like to have sort of a heaphones preamp but with at least a Reverb integrated, and if possible, with not a 9V battery, but more a Li-Ion... I'm aware that I can't get rid off the heapdhones cable, and instrument cable.

Is someone living a similar case or has a good idea on this?

Thanks

Marco

Edited by Marcoelwray

Guest Marcoelwray
3 hours ago, StevieE said:

Have you tried an ipad with garage band? 

I ain't got no iPad unfortunately, and neither a tablet...

1 hour ago, Marcoelwray said:

I ain't got no iPad unfortunately, and neither a tablet...

Shame, its a neat solution. Just plug in via an iRig connector which the bass and headphones also plug into and you're good to go. Lots of free amp apps available with loads of effects, you can record and even collaborate online. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StevieE said:

Shame, its a neat solution. Just plug in via an iRig connector which the bass and headphones also plug into and you're good to go. Lots of free amp apps available with loads of effects, you can record and even collaborate online. 

I found some latency on the iRig

39 minutes ago, ped said:

Lol yeah maybe. It was an iRig 2 and iPad. Shame because it could have been quite handy

😬

Tbh, I didn't actually use an iRig, I'm way too cheap. It was a few years back but I  bought a cheap interface cable off eBay, probably from China and it seems to work OK. 

They don't seem to sell them on there now, but this is the cable - http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=3511

Screenshot_20190502_182753.jpg

Guest Marcoelwray

I just saw that Black Star Beam combo (little one) which includes effects and headphones, usb, Bluetooth... Looks quite handy and if I need to hear there's a 8 or 10" speaker in it.... It's same price range as PJ BigHead (200+). It just doesn't work on battery.

I have an old Korg Pandora. Small, drives a proper pair of headphones. I run it from 4xAAA rechargeable batteries and they last a while. It has an ok integrated tuner, FX, and has a tap reverb, which is a lovely thing.

Otherwise, I use a cheap 12 track mixing desk. Has phantom power and XLRs for some pedals, and it's better with a Chapman stick than the Pandora.

Ive just got a Zoom B1 Four, but have been using a B1-on, which are battery powered multi effects (unlike the B3n which needs mains), with line in and headphone out.  The new B1 Four only costs £68. I also use a cheap wireless system, again 100% battery, so the only wire is for the headphones. 

I love the freedom batteries give, even though I’m at home so its bot really a big issue. 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2019 at 17:05, ped said:

I found some latency on the iRig

Most of the apps have a latency slider, usually set pretty high be default. Even if your chosen app doesn't, or didn't allow you to set it low enough, you can run it inside Audiobus and control the latency there. I've got mine down to way below perceptible levels, 64 samples / 1.5ms is possible on my old iPad Air 2.