Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot SMX amp head - Shredded Allen bolt heads!

Davy

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get inside my trace elliot amp head but some of the mini Allen screw heads have shredded.

I've tried the usual YouTube tip of putting an elastic band inside the screw head but it still doesn't turn.

I've also tried WD40 but the bolts aren't going to shift.

Has anyone managed to release shredded Allen screws and if so, how did you manage it?

Cheers 

Dave

IMG_20190501_193829_1.jpg

IMG_20190501_193824.jpg

Sometimes you can grip the damaged heads with good flat nose pliers and get them moving.  Once eased slack continue with pliers or fingers or superglue a bit of something on them to make rotation easy.  Another solution is Easy out and/or Screw extractor tools.  You may need to slightly drill out the stuffed Allen screws.   If this fails (or you want the low cost method) drill the heads out so that they fall off.  Remove the case lid.  Remove the remaining screws with pliers or small mole grips.

Edited by 3below

2 hours ago, fleabag said:

Cut a slot in the head of the bolt then unscrew using a flat driver.  

How do you cut a slot on bolt/screw head when its flush mounted ?

Dremel (or equivalent) with a small (very small) diameter cutting wheel. Also needed, plenty of masking tape to prevent skid mark damage to the case, and a steady hand! YMMV attempt at own risk :)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 3below said:

Dremel (or equivalent) with a small (very small) diameter cutting wheel. Also needed, plenty of masking tape to prevent skid mark damage to the case, and a steady hand! YMMV attempt at own risk :)

I use an old 1/4" chisel. Spent years doing commercial kitchen refits and fixings generally are filled with gunk.

• Like 1

Which model trace Elliot is this. On most trace amps, these would not be the chassis retaining screws .

However, if they are , preferred method is to drill the heads off with a very sharp, good quality, stubby drill bit, using a slow speed, bit of oil might help. Drill size bit larger than bolt shank , but fair bit smaller than head diameter. Head will come off when you reach the shank. After disassembly, usually possible to remove remaining bolt stub with mole grips.

take care when starting, as drill will tend to snatch when you first start !

Don't use a long, cheap, drill, as will snap, for this reason.

Good Luck

mike.

For future reference on this type of problem, at work  we find a Torx drive bit of similar size and  bang it  hard into the shredded hole with a hammer. The Torx ends are hardened and will form sufficient imprint to then drive the screw out using the same driver. Hth  

Edited by MoonBassAlpha
Clarity, I hope!
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/05/2019 at 21:06, MoonBassAlpha said:

For future reference on this type of problem, at work  we find a Torx drive bit of similar size and  bang it  hard into the shredded hole with a hammer.

A bit belated, but this is exactly what I was going to suggest. Have used this method many times (not on amps...).

On 06/05/2019 at 21:06, MoonBassAlpha said:

For future reference on this type of problem, at work  we find a Torx drive bit of similar size and  bang it  hard into the shredded hole with a hammer. The Torx ends are hardened and will form sufficient imprint to then drive the screw out using the same driver. Hth  

I like this method, another one to file away (pun unintended) for future use.