Why become a member? ×

Anyone using an SWR Workingman's 10 or 12?

Soledad

Basically, how good are they. I've heard good things about both but particularly the 10. I may have a working need for a small combo with DI quite soon and am considering.
Obviously if anyone has one gathering dust let me know (that's a subversive wanted ad maybe, is that allowed?)

Thanks @eude - I was hoping for a used one somewhere - the used combo market is quite rich in choice even around £200. But there's someone far away from me got a 12 on the Bay for £440 at the moment - that sounds a bit like the new price almost, Used should be 200 max really. I've seen them go between 100-150 but none about just now. I'll continue the hunt.

yes, I saw the Warwick. It may be worth a wander up to Camden for a listen - dangerous place to enter though (Bass Gallery, not Camden). Ive sent a txt to the Gumtree Fender owner - sizewise that is OK for me, and I really like the price :)

• Like 1

Excellent, best of luck with it!
I'd be really interested to hear what you make of the Warwick too, I don't need one, but I have issues.

Oh, one other thing to look for is the original Ibanez Promethean P5110 combo >>

219637.jpg

These are ridiculously good, I used to own one and really regret ever moving it on. Very hard to come by now it seems, but it's the best pro level 1x10 bass combo the right side of £1000, even at the original full price.

Eude

• Thanks 1

If you're looking for a small tilt back combo can I recommend the GK Backline range??

First amp I bought when I started playing again was the 10" 70w model...held on to despite the rest of the gear I've bought and sold. I even had the 112 (100w) for a while...did I sell it here???

One on ebay currently:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gallien-Krueger-Backline-112-Bass-Combo-Amplifier/293040675328?hash=item443a95da00:g:-KYAAOSwBmJcq221

It doesn't get the use it should (ideal for jamming in small places) but I'd be reluctant to get rid of it...good bit of kit

Thanks team👍👍

Never even heard of the Ibanez @eude - don't ever recall seeing one up for sale (or maybe I overlooked it).
The Gumtree Fender is east Belfast (don't think the 'east' bit matters much when I'm Kent). Had a chat, it's been gigged hard hence price.

SO, GK? Is the basic sound as good? EQ is more basic but that's fine if the core sound is nice.
I had seen the GK on the bay @TheGreek - that is close enough and it looks clean.
The 15 is too big - I need something discreet, a very portable monitor really and the tighter sound of 12 or 10.. Top marks though for finding one on Cash Converters - never think to look there. Bargain, too far away.

I may investigate the 12" GK. I like the look / idea of the Fender/Emminence Bassmans and they do seem to be around. No decent SWRs about that I can find (the £440 guy is being hopeful).

I have about 2 weeks to sort this, can get by for now (TC rig, not too silly) - but you know when you get black looks for turning up with something a bit big... loud looking? 

p.s. found a Promethean on Reverb (Alabama) - wow the spec does look amazing, like the eq, proper big spec, tasty indeed.

Edited by Soledad

The SWR workingman stuff was very good, especially from the earlier days.  Not light by modern standards, but I did several years with the original 12” combo.  A sansamp or other preamp box helped a lot to warm it up. 

Used ones these days tend to look pretty knackered as the RatFur carpet gets worn if there isn’t a cover on the amp.  A quick going over with a nylon washing up brush can help restore the carpet, but how much it cleans up depends on the treatment it’s had. 

Worth looking out for 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

If you can make your way to Hatfield in the next few days you're welcome to borrow the GK110 to give yourself an idea of what they're like.

I really do need to find my way to Hatfield - that's 2 good reasons now and plenty more for sure (the other being that Spectorcore I recall).

I woke up this morning with clarity - I want an SWR or the Bassman/Emminence and it needs to be a 10 or 12 (partly for the sound too). I admit to having a very long and fond relationship with Fender, I can get by for now and also have my Trace valve combo coming back very soon (although that is a brick and too big again).

I'll get in touch @TheGreek - I would like to try the GK, only a quick whip round the M25.

On 04/05/2019 at 14:32, fleabag said:

Take dog treats

Cool, I like dogs. I'll find a bundle of fluffy kittens, that'll do it. Messy but fun.

Check your pms @TheGreek - I fancy a road trip and there happens to be a GK12 near me that might be a possible. Really fancy an SWR though.

Hunting around, researching possibles and I came across this beauty (in the States of course). Creeping up in size of course (210) but it's got that Acoustic logo across the front... ooooh👍

Screenshot 2019-05-09 at 08.30.45.png

Have you thought of the later / current Fender Rumble stuff? 100 watt version only around £269 new, less than £200 s/h - one on ebay at the moment. As our USA friends might say, an awful lot of bang for the buck. Also very portable, weighing next to nowt.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Soledad said:

Hunting around, researching possibles and I came across this beauty (in the States of course). Creeping up in size of course (210) but it's got that Acoustic logo across the front... ooooh👍

Screenshot 2019-05-09 at 08.30.45.png

Oh god that’s gorgeous...

53 minutes ago, casapete said:

Have you thought of the later / current Fender Rumble stuff? 100 watt version only around £269 new, less than £200 s/h - one on ebay at the moment. As our USA friends might say, an awful lot of bang for the buck. Also very portable, weighing next to nowt.

There has been one in the classifieds here for ages.  £175 and hardly used.  The marketplace here is ace.

3 hours ago, casapete said:

Have you thought of the later / current Fender Rumble stuff?

Good point - I would feel at home with a Fender something, they look v good on paper. Shall investigate. Should have got that Fender tatt on my a**e while I was young enough to appreciate it.

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Oh god that’s gorgeous...

i know. Still remember the first time I plugged my P into a 361... effin' life changing. No logic here - it's just lovelust.
I did send Acoustic an email re European distributors or would they ship from US free of local taxes.... well, no harm askin'

But back on Planet Earth, I will investigate the Fenders. Also having a go on @TheGreek 's GK tomorrow... and the rest of his stable of fine stuff.

• Like 1

Report back. GK 10 very impressive - nice sound without constantly twiddling knobs - clean channel for me, the overdrive dirty one isn't my taste but it's a great little combo. So I would consider a 12.

Still on the lookout - the Fender Bassman is a strong contender (the 12 again).
This has popped up on the Bay - Bassman 400 combo 210. Too big for me and about 36Kg. Bet it sounds ace.
Started at £275 but there's a hidden reserve prob nearer £350 maybe. Worth it I reckon but size and weight will put many off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Bassman-400-350W-Combo/273844170843

If anyone spots a decent SWR 12 or Bassman 12 giz a shout 👍 (except for the SWR up north for £440... not that one).

There was a 12” SWR Workingmans cab on a FBook bass sales page a few days ago..really cheap.  Good design (slightly wedge shaped) but just the cab.  Will have a look and see if it’s still going. 

Also there are some new Ashdown Studio combos coming soon.  The specs look good, but it might be a few weeks before they are available. 

Edit - cab sold 

44943BF0-D295-4325-AB29-FBA2ED0AB026.png

Edited by BassBod
Addition
  • Thanks 1

Missed that, not a bad idea with a small class D. Looks mint too.
Ther's an SWR12 in Driffield (east Yorks) and I have a sister in West Yorks... join the dots :)
But he's asking £350... seeing there's a new ex demo 10 in Bass Gallery for 355, this guy is a mile out i reckon. 

No rush - @eude told me not to rush. I won't rush.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update - was offered the SWR in Yorkshire for 280 (may have got it down to 250 even) but too far away. Also all I can find on the SWRs (in the U.S. mainly) seemed to say the 10 was a better sound and the 12 might be a bit muddy (might not of course).
Anyway, found this - it's slightly over brief being a 210, so 24" x 20" x 15", and about 28Kg. Had a liking and respect for the GB gear for ages so it was hard to resist. Again nothing I could find in the UK but a real fan-base in the States.
Collect Monday if all goes to plan - will give it a blow and let you know :)

GB200.jpg

• Like 3