Why become a member? ×

Thomann slimline double basses: opinions/experience?

razze06

I have one too. I really like it. Even my luthier was surprised with it. He hadn't seen one before but was generally impressed.

As you can imagine, the sound isn't as strident and loud as a full depth one and is less complex, but still pleasant and sounds like a 'proper' DB, just a bit quieter - ideal for home practice actually. If I was playing in an acoustic bluegrass band it wouldn't be my choice, but I play amplified and it is SO much easier to amplify than my full depth one. It is also easier to transport being that little bit thinner although it does look a little strange when you are used to a full size (which I think happens to be a good thing as far as I am concerned - I do like to be a bit different).

If you happen to be all the way down south towards London then you would be more than welcome to come and try out.

• Thanks 1

Hi, I’m intrigued by this. Can I ask how much quieter? I need a home practice bass and I was considering alternatives like the Kolstein and the Eminence but if this is a lot quieter than a ‘normal’ bass it could work for me.

What do you think?

3 hours ago, randythoades said:

I play amplified and it is SO much easier to amplify than my full depth one. It is also easier to transport being that little bit thinner

How do you transport it - I wondered if it would "get lost" in a normal-depth gig bag, or does it work ok?

Compared to my full depth bass it is probably about 25% less volume, maybe a touch more. Loud enough to play along to rehearsal tracks but not loud enough to wake up the kids or to play along with anything more than an acoustic guitar. It is perfect for me, it is easier to play than my full depth, easier and lighter to transport and easier to amplify, so it is my go to bass.

That said, it doesn't have the same mojo as my full depth bass, for some reason the front is very plain and a yucky reddy brown gloss varnish whereas the back is nicely flamed.

jrixn1

It does get a little lost in a full depth bag so is a little uncomfortable on shoulder straps, and I put a couple of cushions in the car to stop it moving around. But it is much lighter and less cumbersome and I even put it neck down in the footwell  with the back resting on my front passenger seat (laid flat as much as possible), so I can go to rehearsal in my convertible car if the wife needs the estate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Interesting. If I add a practice mute to it then I think this could be perfect. I’Ve got a spare set of Spirocores I could chuck on it too. Hmm, lots to think about!

Mine doesn't seem to like Spiros so well. I tried both Mittel and Weich and it just felt a little 'choked'. I used Presto Ultralight for a long time and now use Blast Cult Lowlifes as I use Magnetic pickup mainly now to get a slightly more 'electric' sound.

Interestingly, I tried recording my full size with both a pickup and condenser mic (positioned by bridge on E side) at home. I recorded the Slimline one with the same setup on 2 other tracks too for comparison and I couldn't really tell much actual difference and picked the slim one for the final mix on the demo!!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, if anyone happens to be London way then you would be more than welcome to come and try out. I am only a few minutes from mainline railways station or M25. I have a Stagg EDB too which I really like too but it does fall away from me as I play which the slimline doesn't.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 02/05/2019 at 12:13, randythoades said:

jrixn1

It does get a little lost in a full depth bag so is a little uncomfortable on shoulder straps, and I put a couple of cushions in the car to stop it moving around. But it is much lighter and less cumbersome and I even put it neck down in the footwell  with the back resting on my front passenger seat (laid flat as much as possible), so I can go to rehearsal in my convertible car if the wife needs the estate.

I thought any double bass would fit upside down on passenger seat of most cars. If the neck does not detach, it is the same hasttle for flights. Less weight to carry to/fro the car is the only positive factor I see here, which would be much appreciated by my sore back. Although I use Bass wheels, sometimes it is necessary tro lift,  daily climb up stairs to my home studio, stages, etc. 

On 12/12/2019 at 10:20, Bruno Maia said:

I thought any double bass would fit upside down on passenger seat of most cars. If the neck does not detach, it is the same hasttle for flights. Less weight to carry to/fro the car is the only positive factor I see here, which would be much appreciated by my sore back. Although I use Bass wheels, sometimes it is necessary tro lift,  daily climb up stairs to my home studio, stages, etc. 

Ha! Yes, you are right any will fit in, I use my full size on in the same way but it is a bit of a faff to get in and out properly.

It is very surprising though just how much easier, lighter and better to manoeuver the slimline version is. You wouldn't think it, but it makes a huge difference. I still prefer the look and sound of the full size version at home but do use the slimline the majority of the time for the convenience if I go to band practice.

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 15:34, randythoades said:

Ha! Yes, you are right any will fit in, I use my full size on in the same way but it is a bit of a faff to get in and out properly.

It is very surprising though just how much easier, lighter and better to manoeuver the slimline version is. You wouldn't think it, but it makes a huge difference. I still prefer the look and sound of the full size version at home but do use the slimline the majority of the time for the convenience if I go to band practice.

I play in a duo with a DB player (when I'm playing guitar, shhhhh!!) and he used to turn up to gigs with his DB in the back of his Ford Ka!!  He'd also have a Markbass amp and Berg 1 x 12" in there.....oh, and his wife too, sometimes.  I was always surprised that he had room to turn the steering wheel....

18 minutes ago, Rob MacKillop said:

Question: Would you suggest this slimline 3/4 bass over a 1/2 bass for  a bass guitar player moving on to a double bass? I've been playing bass guitar for many years, and I'm tall (just in case that makes a difference to your decision). I play jazz.

In a word, yes.

• Like 1