Why become a member? ×

Sold - Wal Custom MK1 4 String Fretted Shedua Facings
£2500
Aberdeenshire

BB2000

1993 Wal Custom MK1 with gold hardware and Shedua facings.  Non original hard case.

(Sorry for the delay in uploading pictures.)

The bass is actually a July '92 and not a '93.  This is a players bass, not a collectors item, as it has obvious signs of use.  When I bought it, it had been fitted with a little pickguard just above the pickups, and there's a couple of screw holes there which held it on.  The previous owner had it fitted because he anchored his thumb on the body of the bass, and had worn the lacquer right through to the wood.   This is the most obvious cosmetic flaw on the bass.

At the back of the headstock the laquer is cracked between the machine heads.  This is common with Wals, and usually doesn't get worse with age, or cause any problems.  The anodised finish on all the aluminium control knobs is fairly worn, and the white filler on the engraving on the knobs has all but gone.  The tone control knob for the neck pickup has lost it's grub screw, but the knob is tight on  pot shaft in any case so that hasn't been a problem.  On the back of the bass the top layer of laquer has worn off of quite a large area, but there's no damage to the wood itself.  On the bottom edge of the bass there is some scuffing to the finish, but nothing too serious.  When I bought it it had gold finished schaller strap buttons - I've no idea if they were originally fitted, but I changed them to nickel ones some time ago.

Apart from the cosmetic flaws the bass is fine.  The pickups and electronics work fine, the fretboard is excellent, the frets are all in good condition, and the trussrod works well.

I've had a lot of PM's about this bass (which I've still to read) so rather than mail everyone back just PM me again if you are interested.

P5041689.JPG

P5041690.JPG

P5041691.JPG

P5041692.JPG

P5041693.JPG

P5041694.JPG

P5041695.JPG

P5041696.JPG

P5041698.JPG

P5041703.JPG

P5041704.JPG

P5041705.JPG

P5041706.JPG

P5041707.JPG

Edited by BB2000
Sold
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

By coincidence I traded my bb2000 for a wal (got £160 for the bb2000 .. then again, only paid £650 for the Wal) . Wish I'd bought the Wal AND kept the Yamaha.  Why would you sell two such great basses.  Glwts tho.

Ah pics at last!

My own wal is a bit beat up, sounds none the worse for it and I love it all the more - it has bit more personality imo and I'm not afraid to take it out to (eg) the odd bass bash

This is a real bargain for someone wanting to play a wal (as opposed to someone wanting to be seen playing a Wal!).

If you were fussed,  the cost of a full refurb from Electric Wood still wouldn't put the total cost over the market value for a mint 1980/90s Wal Custom.

• Like 1

Can everyone consider this as being on hold for the moment, until I figure out who first made a firm commitment to buy by PM, and check that they still wish to follow through with the purchase. 

Please don't send any more PM's! - if you haven't got in touch with me already the chance of the bass being available once I've gone through the list is pretty slim.