Why become a member? ×

What famous musicians death most shocked you

dmccombe7

On 03/05/2019 at 09:58, Monkey Steve said:

I had a ticket for the 40th anniversary tour (having seen them first at both their 10th anniversary shows at Hammersmith) and even as we were buying them, it did feel like "see Lemmy now because he's going to be dead before too long and I doubt he'll tour again" such were the reports of his rapidly declining health over the preceding Autumn

I was there for the 10th anniversary, what a gig that was.

Have to admit it but I wasn’t that surprised when Lemmy went, as he’d looked to be in poor shape for a while. I think the saddest thing re Motörhead was seeing the cover of Ace of Spaded without any of the guys in the pic, indicating they’ve all now passed on. The best Motörhead line-up imo, hopefully making ear splitting noise wherever they are now.

On 04/05/2019 at 12:07, Lozz196 said:

I was there for the 10th anniversary, what a gig that was.

Have to admit it but I wasn’t that surprised when Lemmy went, as he’d looked to be in poor shape for a while. I think the saddest thing re Motörhead was seeing the cover of Ace of Spaded without any of the guys in the pic, indicating they’ve all now passed on. The best Motörhead line-up imo, hopefully making ear splitting noise wherever they are now.

I saw them in Hyde Park a few years ago and whilst it was a hell of a lineup that day (Motorhead, Soundgarden and Sabbath, all for the price of a pint as my friend was online when the ticketing website accidentally put the tickets up for something like a fiver), but Lemmy looked like he was on his last legs. Kudos to the man for doing his best to deliver, but I suspected it would be my last chance to see them.

Keith Flint's recent passing has upset me more than the passing of many other musicians. I don't really know why, I was never a massive Prodigy fan but it could be because he's around my own age, or maybe it's because he was actually just a very "normal" and apparently really sweet guy, or maybe it's all of these factors meaning that I can easily identify with him? Who knows - it's strange the way that some things affect you more than others.

Edited by darkandrew
  • Like 1

Randy Rhoads.

I'd just picked up the Crazy Train single second hand a week before and it had never left my turntable as I listened in wonder to this fab new (to me) guitarist ripping it up.

I'd been up to the 2nd hand record shop and picked up Blizzard of Ozz - I clearly remember getting home from school and one of my mates telling me "It's just been on the news - Ozzy Osbourne was killed in a plane crash!". Of course, it wasn't Ozzy, but Randy. :( 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HengistPod said:

Randy Rhoads.

I'd just picked up the Crazy Train single second hand a week before and it had never left my turntable as I listened in wonder to this fab new (to me) guitarist ripping it up.

I'd been up to the 2nd hand record shop and picked up Blizzard of Ozz - I clearly remember getting home from school and one of my mates telling me "It's just been on the news - Ozzy Osbourne was killed in a plane crash!". Of course, it wasn't Ozzy, but Randy. :( 

I try not to get too worked up about people that I don’t know passing away, even if I’ve been a fan of their musical / artistic endeavours. However, I can think of two musicians whose unfortunate demise did make me think.

The first was Randy Rhodes, just because he was still pretty young and the way he died just seemed so random. The other one was Boz Burrell, the bass player for Bad Company. This was partly because he was an influence on me as a bass player, but mainly because he was the first of my heroes to die in early(ish) middle age from the lifestyle, despite never having been an addict but had always caned it a bit. This coincided with me having given up smoking and the occasional other indulgence, not to mention drastically cutting back on the booze. It was just one of those things that made you think of your own mortality. Unfortunately, he was the first of many…

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

Pretty much all those deaths in 2016 starting with Bowie. Subconsciously you think “well, that’s our major celebrity passing of the year”. Then Prince went. Wow. George Michael was a bigger shock I think because at that point in the year we must all have been thinking “thank god this year is nearly over”, then George went. 

Chris Cornell, Keith Flint and more recently Boon Gould really affected me because these were MY musical icons. 

I hope they’ve found peace.

1 hour ago, Grassie said:

Pretty much all those deaths in 2016 starting with Bowie

Reading this reminded me of the shock when Mick Ronson passed away through cancer at only 46. An amazingly talented musician taken far too soon.

Also another legend from this area Trevor Bolder, aged only 62. 

• Like 1

Jaco. I had just moved to London from Wales and was going to meet a friend who was already up there. As we were arranging to meet, he told me the news (he didn't really know who Jaco was but knew I was a fan). At this point, I hadn't heard the stories of his deteriorating mental health so it really did come out of the blue. 

Another shocker was Stevie Ray Vaughan. Another great loss. Others who came right out of the blue include Emily Remler, Kenny Kirkland, Kirsty MaColl and Michael Brecker. 

• Like 1

Michael Hutchence was another one that came from nowhere. 

If someone is ill or old it’s almost like it’s ok that they’ve passed, that they’re no longer suffering. 

When they die alone in a hotel room, accidentally or not, that makes it so much more saddening.