Why become a member? ×

I've finally conceded defeat to Fender - NBD

6feet7

I've been playing bass for about 15 years now (and guitar for 30 years before then) and have steadfastedly refused to ever play a Fender (because everyone plays either a bloody Fender or something that looks like a Fender), so I've bought (and usually lost financially - because no one else had my taste in guitars and basses) everything from a 1964 Gibson EBO to several carbon fibre GUS G1's and G3's, Yamaha's, a Tokai Hard Puncher (I know, a Precision copy, but it didn't say Fender on the headstock, so that was almost OK), Warwick's, a Spector, a couple of Patrick Eggle's, several bitsas with Status graphite necks and several others I can't remember, but then I saw Scott Devine's piece about you only really need a good P bass, and even though I didn't totally agree (I prefer a more modern sound) I understood what he meant, so when I saw an AV Basses PJ5 for sale at the Gallery I thought I'd found my perfect bass (lightweight, both P and J Nordstrand pickups, and, even though it looked Fenderish, it didn't say Fender of the headstock). Perfect. But, GAS was now ignited, and I saw a 2001 Fender American Standard 5 string Jazz for sale with the right headstock (5 smaller sized tuners in a row, not the 4 + 1 massive ears that looks like the 1 was an afterthought). It weighed 8 1/2 lbs (anything more than that and I wont play it), was in almost as new condition (unheard of for an 18 year old bass) and came with a Fender hardcase. It also turned out that I'd bought some french windows from the same guy 2 years ago on ebay (who knocked £150 off the price for me).

Well, first gig last Saturday. I thought I'd start with this rather than my 'favourite' AV Basses PJ5, and then swap over after a couple of songs. 2 hours later, AV PJ5 untouched, I packed away with comments about how great I sounded that night. I have finally conceded defeat to Fender. Perhaps he did get it right straight away (well, apart from I was playing a Jazz and not a Precision, and I was playing 5 strings instead of 4). I love it :)

IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

IMG_3355.JPG

IMG_3356.JPG

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It's dead boring looking though isn't it?

😉

Totally agree - I bought the AV Basses PJ5 because of its bright bright bright green paintwork.

20 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

At least get some LEDs installed or something!

Nahhhh. Don't like anything with batteries onboard (and definitely not LED's - urggggghhhhhhh)

10 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Excellent choice. There is a reason why these basses have been the backbone of rock n Roll for almost 70 years.

Now you need the tort scratch plate.

I was thinking that, but then the whole bass will become invisible. Think I'll leave it 'stock' (the first time ever I've ever not 'improved' a design that people far more knowledgable than me had missed out doing when designing it).

I don't like the 4 + 1 tuners either and much prefer the 5 in a row.

I had one of the US deluxe 5 string jazz with the smaller body and 5 in a row tuners and really liked it.

I can't remember why I sold it as it was the perfect 5 string jazz.  :(

Enjoy yours.

Frank.

• Thanks 1

On 01/05/2019 at 17:14, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'm still fighting the good fight. I will NEVER buy a Fender!

It's not a good fight - it's just a fight. So many great players in great bands on great tracks, all playing Ps and Jazzes (actual Fender ones). So many premium makers producing high-end clones. The Precision in particular defined what an electric bass would be - Gibson, Gretch, Hofner, Rickenbacker, Framus and the rest didn't do that.
I'm certain the P and Jazz are both as relevant and useful today as they ever were. Delete the existence of the P and Jazz,  and what would Sadowsky, Lakland, Sandberg and all the rest be making? 

So, It's not a good fight - it's just a fight. Like pushing water uphill. If avoiding Fenders was easy for you it wouldn't be a fight would it?

• Like 4

On 01/05/2019 at 17:14, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'm still fighting the good fight. I will NEVER buy a Fender! 

I was the same for many, many years.  Then I tried a few Fenders and became a convert.

I still have a Warwick, a Musicman, and a Steinberger and I've owned many, many non-Fender basses, but on gigs, it's almost always a Fender.  Not because they're the best, but because they are just solid and just get the job done.

It's all I need anyway.

Plus I can choose from a USA P, USA Jazz, USA PJ jazz and a USA Jaguar - enough for any greedy bas**2d. 😁

Frank.

2 hours ago, Soledad said:

So, It's not a good fight - it's just a fight. Like pushing water uphill. If avoiding Fenders was easy for you it wouldn't be a fight would it?

No you are absolutely correct. Fighting the good fight was just a quip in response to the phrase conceding defeat in the original post. Actually avoiding Fenders is the easiest thing in the world. Why would I be interested in buying something I have no desire for? I'm not disputing their place in musical history. They're just not for me. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Why?

No offence to stewblack, but unless he's bought that Alien Ant Farm custom job or a Katana, it will look just like every other Fender bass.

Just curious, because I like fenders 😀

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1