Why become a member? ×

Powerful cover suggestions

We're having discussions in my rock band about a possible cover - we already do one which is a mash-up of Penetration's "Don't Dictate" with Cameo's "Word Up" which works surprisingly well.

Trouble is we can't agree on another - our singer is from a straight-edge hardcore background and suggests songs by The Misfits, our drummer is more straight-ahead rock and doesn't want to do any covers unless we put a serious spin on it, our guitarist is into psychedelia and Hendrix and doesn't care what he plays so long as it's psychedelic, and I'm into The Funk, The Whole Funk And Nuthin' But The Funk.

I'm trying to get them to give this a go, if we can do it justice:

And we almost had agreement on this - strangely I used to play in a band with the guitarist:

Any more thoughts on interesting covers we can punkfunkHendrix up?

2 hours ago, funkgod said:

i have just the ticket,

Our singer and drummer wouldn't go for that, even if we metalled it up!

I'm having a lot of trouble getting a chorus of Give Up The Funk in the middle of one of our songs, even though it stomps like a good 'un!

2 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Loving the Rollins Band & Skunk Anansie vids.

Both been rejected... "Don't like Bjork" and "don't like Rollins or the cheesey (!!!!)spoken bit".

Trying for the Cramps "The way I walk" and Tubeway Army's "It must have been years" next...

9 hours ago, sammybee said:

Eddie Hazel - I Want You

I've got the Dames Games and Guitar Thangs album... And most excellent it is too - especially his cover of California Dreamin'!

I've suggested that to 'em - bit faster with slightly heavier guitar and they might go for it. But I'm not holding my breath.

If I was in a rock band I'd want to cover Vendetta by Slipknot (clean vocals but a slab of sheer power), Feuer Feuer by Rammstein, Jesus Built my Hotrod by Ministry, East River by The Brecker Brothers (possibly the heaviest funk groove ever), Get Up for The Down Stroke by Parliament (another slice of pure heavy funk) and I Wanna Take You Higher or I Get High on You by Sly & The Family  Stone (yes, I know the latter is from Sly's first solo album before anyone corrects me)

Here's 3 I like.  Possibly a bit mainstream compared to the other suggestions, but fit the brief IMO :) 

Steve Lukather's cover of Hendrix's 'Freedom'

Lenny Kravitz's 'Always On The Run'

And the rather similar 'Be Mine' by Kenny Wayne Shepherd

19 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

our drummer is more straight-ahead rock and doesn't want to do any covers unless we put a serious spin on it,

I take it you are an originals band looking to put some extra material into the set.  You can cover anything and put your own spin on it. 

Not to my taste but metal verions of Nancy Sinatra?

These boots are made for walking

• Like 1

with such diverse tastes in the band I'm surprised you ever got together 🙂

One rule on covers I always try and follow, make sure it's one you audience will know well and can sing a long too, otherwise you may as well just do one of your own

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

with such diverse tastes in the band I'm surprised you ever got together 🙂

One rule on covers I always try and follow, make sure it's one you audience will know well and can sing a long too, otherwise you may as well just do one of your own

I reckon this is good advice, but generally speaking I probably agree with your drummer about not doing covers unless you need some quick, easy filler or if it's a song of a different genre reworked as a novelty.  Like Limp Bizkit's version of "Faith" .

That said, would something like Give it Away by RHCP work for all of you? 

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Jesus Built my Hotrod by Ministry, East River by The Brecker Brothers

Breckers already been rejected! Singer likes Hotrods though, and I have suggested it - she's thinking on't. I've got a slap bassline for it!

1 hour ago, Unknown_User said:

That said, would something like Give it Away by RHCP work for all of you? 

Singer wouldn't be keen on the lyrics - we're a bit issues-based, other songs are about religion, parental abuse, fox hunting etc so she wouldn't be happy with that!

2 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

One rule on covers I always try and follow, make sure it's one you audience will know well and can sing a long too

We're likely to be playing to lots of punk crowds so funk-punk mashups would work quite well

2 hours ago, Nicko said:

Trying not to give our drummer an excuse to break out the double drum pedal of doom!

11 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I've got the Dames Games and Guitar Thangs album... And most excellent it is too - especially his cover of California Dreamin'!

I've suggested that to 'em - bit faster with slightly heavier guitar and they might go for it. But I'm not holding my breath.

Bit obvious, but how about Maggot Brain? If they turn that down too, there's no hope..

2 hours ago, funkgod said:

what about nickelback's version of elton john's saturday nights alright for fighting ? everyone should know that.

Do the original version - we're going to!

Forget any preconceptions of Elton John, it kicks (Nickelback's) donkey and the bassline is a stretch (for me) and a lot more funkable than the Nickelback one.

Faith no more - Surprise your dead

Cactus - Evil (Black Stone Cherry ruined their cover by slowing down and losing the bounce)

KXM - Breakout

Deep Purple - Burn

Deep Purple - You Fool No One

Vintage Trouble - Blues Hand me down

Helmet - Unsung

Helmet - In the Meantime

The Atomic Bitchwax - So Come On

Electric Deluxe - Devil (will need a big re-work)

Led Zepplin - Lemon Song

Living Colour - Cult Of Personality

Kings X - Dogman

Kings X - Black the Sky

Supershine - Shinin on

Zac Brown Band - Heavy is the Head

The Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein

Boney M - Rasputin

Just a few off the top of my head which can either be plucked or moulded - happy for you to say no to them all - but been great racking my slow brain on a morning!

A lot of variations across your theme I would hope and elements of them all in each song, or applicable with some work

Edited by Cuzzie

Not sure if any of the suggestions would work - especially as our singer has the punk attitude that if it's well known it must be rubbish!

However, playing to punkier audiences means we could get away with funkin' up punk songs.

Singer has suggested Misfits' "Where Eagles Dare", but it annoys me no end , with its poor music and inspirational-to-Green-Day chorus; I'd thought of GBH's "Living My Life", but would have to think hard about how to PFunk it with synth-wah bass. Ministry hasn't been ruled out yet, nor has this:

2 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

if he counts some of those songs are well known your singer really has some even more underground taste!

It's a she!

But she doesn't really like anything that sounds at all classic rock, even if it's not like the KingsX and similar. As for Rasputin, they'd all stick my head on a pole I'm afraid...

I am going to suggest Bad Brains' "Rise" though - it's possibly possible!