Why become a member? ×

Sensing a theme in the classifieds at the moment...

therealting

I like Markbass gear even if it isn’t perfect. The classifieds have been a God send when I’ve bought and sold MB stuff. 

Has anyone else noticed the price of the new MB stuff from retailers slowly going downhill? You can get a brand new 210 Standard HF for £389. That’s cheaper than a lot on the classified/Marketplace. I hope the heads come down in due course. 

Source: https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/markbass-standard-102hf-4-2x10inch-bass-400w-speaker-cabinet/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlduLguz_4QIVSbXtCh3v5QIeEAQYAyABEgKC0vD_BwE

• 2 weeks later...

I own quite a few amps (Markbass, Ampeg, Ashdown, Hartke, Bugera, Line 6, GK and Trace Elliot) and like them all for what they do. Some needed extra effort for me to understand how to get my tonal preference but I am happy to gig with any (not the 75lb Bugera though!) but my go to is my 10 year old class AB Markbass LM3. If I don't need as much power I'm happy to use my recently acquired TE AH200. I really couldn't care less what a rig looks like, it's only the sound for me. I find it mildly amusing when pot bellied middle aged pub rockers (that includes me btw) suddenly get fussy about what the backline looks like. To me black, white, silver, red, flurescent green, yellow or whatever are all fine.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

Chatting around and generally picking up on comments here and there (not just here) I have a hunch there's a bit of a downer around class D - small but building it feels to me. That's not a comment on class D, just a vibe I'm feeling.
My own view is small isn't SO important - like the TE Elf is super-small but by some accounts the whole thing is one complete heat sink.
Another hunch (and it's only that, plus I may be a tiny bit biased) but is the original Essex TE gear trending towards a little harder-priced?

25 minutes ago, Soledad said:

Chatting around and generally picking up on comments here and there (not just here) I have a hunch there's a bit of a downer around class D - small but building it feels to me. That's not a comment on class D, just a vibe I'm feeling.
My own view is small isn't SO important - like the TE Elf is super-small but by some accounts the whole thing is one complete heat sink.
Another hunch (and it's only that, plus I may be a tiny bit biased) but is the original Essex TE gear trending towards a little harder-priced?

There's plenty of people using class D... it's always the same on forums, certain ideas, in this case, bashing class D and muttering words like "heft" and low and behold, stuff sticks. Take it with a pinch of salt - there's load of good... no - great class D amps that people will use for whatever reason.

• Like 3

In general I prefer the bigger Class A/B/valve/hybrid amps but on a recent tour I used my Class D Ashdown RM500 and it was more than enough. It was into an Ampeg SVT410HLF and sounded amazing. At no point did I think I was using an amp that was sub-standard, though I do still prefer my ABM600.

16 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

In general I prefer the bigger Class A/B/valve/hybrid amps but on a recent tour I used my Class D Ashdown RM500 and it was more than enough. It was into an Ampeg SVT410HLF and sounded amazing. At no point did I think I was using an amp that was sub-standard, though I do still prefer my ABM600.

+1^^ In my case different amps, but identical sentiment: I totally love my Class A/B with its valve preamp; but in no way do I lack any confidence in the ability of my Class D to come up with goods at rehearsals or gigs. And my back is grateful every time! :) 

Edited by Al Krow

There will be no consensus on this because we don't all want the same thing tonally.

For me, the classic (heavyweight) TE tonal palette is everything I want, however I can't find anything that offers me my desired TE palette in a lightweight package - believe me, I've thrown a ton of money trying to find it. @Al Krow and I discussed this privately last week - we agreed that what we each want from a rig is not necessarily what anybody else would want.

I respect @Lozz196's opinion - however what we play is at the extremes of the musical spectrum - I couldn't play with his tonal palette - he would hate mine. I hated the Darkglass I had, others love them. Same for most of the Class D heads I've bought. The world would be a much less colourful place if everybody agreed, all the time.

Diversity is good - VIVE LA DIFFERENCE!!

• Like 2

On 02/05/2019 at 10:28, Hobbayne said:

I had never heard of markbass before I joined basschat. When I saw the for sale section had a few being offered, I made a few inquires.

Now I own a CMD 121 and the NY cab.

Great combination

• Thanks 1