Why become a member? ×

Amp swap.....would i be mad?! Ampeg Content

donslow

Very long story short

ive an opportunity to get my hands on an Ampeg SVT IIP preamp and Ampeg AP-3550, 

I own an Ampeg SVT II Pro and love it to bits, with exception on the weight of the damn thing

if i took the rackmount stuff, id have to shift the II Pro, having no experience with the rackmount gear im going in blind, is this idea just plain silly or would it be a worthwhile swap? Is my amp and the rackmount setup comparable?!

currently, im told the preamp works but the poweramp doesn't (all lights up but no noise) for curiosities sake, what sort of value would be placed on these items? 

Pictures below for reference

E8A9324D-2526-4B56-B403-4575C8CD5878.jpeg.7cd742ecbf298d13122cd306ba0a5e35.jpeg

A9BA1403-AA87-463F-BB1C-12A14F7B6CDD.jpeg.250adf0f6ceb2f2e82f48dd4c27ba212.jpeg

Keep the SVT II. It is a 'holy grail' amp. 

The SVT preamp into a solid state power amp (which is fairly underpowered compared to more modern amps) will be a nice set up for sure, but it won't nail the all valve tone of an SVT II. Once you put the preamp and power amp together and add in a rack case, the weight will also start to add up as well.

All 'in my opinion' though. 

Edited by thodrik
included an unnecessary 'not'

I wouldn't be swapping an SVT 2 PRO for this sort of set up myself.

To be fair, I probably would never swap an Ampeg SVT 2 or CL for anything.

Even less inclined to consider it given the poweramp isn't working correctly.

I'd move past this option and look elsewhere if 'twer me.

31 minutes ago, donslow said:

. . . . currently, im told the preamp works but the poweramp doesn't (all lights up but no noise) for curiosities sake, what sort of value would be placed on these items? 

So you're looking at a pre amp and a door stop. Even if it is working it wouldn't be half as good as your current amp. If the weight of your gear is getting to you then sensible decisions have to be made. IMO this is not one of them!!

thanks all, mostly what I had suspected, just needed some clarification from those who know........

45 minutes ago, chris_b said:

So you're looking at a pre amp and a door stop. Even if it is working it wouldn't be half as good as your current amp. If the weight of your gear is getting to you then sensible decisions have to be made. IMO this is not one of them!!

@chris_b if I were to make a "sensible decision" any pointers as to where a good place to start would be?!