Why become a member? ×

Picato flatwound strings.....decent quality?

surfguy13

I have always used La Bella flatwound strings but saw a really good deal for Picato flatwounds but have never used them before.  I think they're UK made which is a big plus and I seem to remember hearing that their strings and really high quality.   Anybody out there used Picato flats?  

10 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Yep, I have some. I think they are great. I also rate the Fender flatwound string too. Having spent 3 times as much importing La Bella strings in the past, I wouldn't bother now as the Picato ones are perfectly fine.

This was what made me look around as La Bella are getting stupidly expensive and in a way I'd much rather buy a British product if I can.  Good to know that the Fenders are good too.....I use their roundwound and I think they're excellent.

5 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Picato are good strings, good old school thumpy flats, as long as you are not expecting a bright flatwound I think you will be perfectly happy with them, as with all flats I would go a gauge lighter than if I was buying roundwounds

That was exactly what I wanted to hear.........these are for an old mid 60s EBO and that's about as thumpy as you can get!!!  :)  Yes, I agree about gauge too but as these are for a short scale bass you can happily go with a slightly heavier gauge.

i have fitted them to a couple of basses in the past, they're really nice flats, they made strings for Overwater for a while as well. i'm not sure that they are in current production as i had heard that Picato had gone under, the website is still there though and they're available form a few suppliers still.

i use d'addario Chromes now mainly as i can get them for a really good price through a local shop that has connections to D'addario (who happen to be based 2 miles from my house) and i never change my flats so they'll be staying a while.

5 minutes ago, Matt P said:

i have fitted them to a couple of basses in the past, they're really nice flats, they made strings for Overwater for a while as well. i'm not sure that they are in current production as i had heard that Picato had gone under, the website is still there though and they're available form a few suppliers still.

i use d'addario Chromes now mainly as i can get them for a really good price through a local shop that has connections to D'addario (who happen to be based 2 miles from my house) and i never change my flats so they'll be staying a while.

Good to have another positive review!  I just had a long conversation with the guy that is currently selling the Picato flats.  He was incredibly helpful and explained that Picato were still there but have ceased manufacturing their strings in the UK.  He thinks that Ernie Ball are now manufacturing for Picato.  However, as a result prices have gone and I'm guessing that's down to import duty and the cost of manufacturing in the USA.  

I have used D'addario roundwound Chromes and they were excellent strings, quite bright, but I'm not sure if they do shortscale flats.

55 minutes ago, surfguy13 said:

Good to have another positive review!  I just had a long conversation with the guy that is currently selling the Picato flats.  He was incredibly helpful and explained that Picato were still there but have ceased manufacturing their strings in the UK.  He thinks that Ernie Ball are now manufacturing for Picato.  However, as a result prices have gone and I'm guessing that's down to import duty and the cost of manufacturing in the USA.  

I have used D'addario roundwound Chromes and they were excellent strings, quite bright, but I'm not sure if they do shortscale flats.

Fender don't do short scale flats, but Daddario do flats for all sizes.

If you want decent and inexpensive flats in any size then Status Hotwire's might be a good option! You can get short scale Hotwire's for less than £17 posted (UK).

It's a shame they're not made in the UK anymore, the quality was really good and the lack of import costs made them an absolute bargain. i'm pretty sure that D'addario ,make shortscale flats, @D'Addario UK might be able to confirm or deny.

Matt

Edit - hooky_lowdown can type faster than me!

Edited by Matt P
added note at bottom

4 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Fender don't do short scale flats, but Daddario do flats for all sizes.

If you want decent and inexpensive flats in any size then Status Hotwire's might be a good option! You can get short scale Hotwire's for less than £17 posted (UK).

Thanks @hooky_lowdown, that's amazing for under £17 posted.  I've had a really good search online and can't find any sellers or even info on them.  is there any chance you could point me in the right direction?

4 hours ago, Matt P said:

It's a shame they're not made in the UK anymore, the quality was really good and the lack of import costs made them an absolute bargain. i'm pretty sure that D'addario ,make shortscale flats, @D'Addario UK might be able to confirm or deny.

Matt

Edit - hooky_lowdown can type faster than me!

Yeah, it is a shame they don't make them in the UK anymore and the import duty has increased the price by 50% but even with that you can get them on Amazon for under £30 post free.

I'll try and find some Status Hotwires but if they prove to be hard to get hold of I'll check out the D'addario flats.  Great to have some options.

2 hours ago, surfguy13 said:

Thanks @hooky_lowdown, that's amazing for under £17 posted.  I've had a really good search online and can't find any sellers or even info on them.  is there any chance you could point me in the right direction?

Click on Online-shop in menu on left hand side of website... They make rounds, half-rounds and flats...

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html

11 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Click on Online-shop in menu on left hand side of website... They make rounds, half-rounds and flats...

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html

Absolutely brilliant, thank you!  I have checked them out and flats for this price is pretty much unheard of unless they're really cheap and nasty, which Status certainly won't be.  They have a brilliant range too and I have no idea at all how come I wasn't aware of them.