Why become a member? ×

I'm turning into an insomniac after band rehearsals!!

lou24d53

13 minutes ago, la bam said:

When I had a 9 to 5 I had the horrendous cycle of no sleep, followed by a day at work literally flooding coffee into myself, followed by no sleep, followed by flooding coffee into myself, followed by....

Horrendous. Really affects you.

However, once I went self employed and didn't need the pressure of getting up at 7am after being up until 4am I found a solution.

It may sound daft, but hopefully it will help. And it's the oldest thing known to man.

Instead of letting your brain run riot, what's the best way to stop it? Listen to something. As kids it was always bedtime stories or nursery rhymes. Now, for the last 4 years I've been listening to podcasts (karl pilkington / Joe Rogan etc) every night on headphones, and I'm off to sleep in no time. I believe it's simply because it stops my mind from thinking and starts my mind listening.

Interestingly when I'm away and I've forgotten my podcasts or mp3 player, my mind goes into over drive and I'm up all night.

I know lots of people who listen to podcasts or YouTube at night and it really works.

Try it if nothing else works. You never know.

Yes, this, I forgot to say that works for me although not podcasts but piano music. If I listen to what I usually like then I can start to get drawn into the music and start analysing it but piano music works really well for me. So I'll listen to ludovico einaudi and Yiruma.

• Like 1

I had that for 5 or 6 years. Reducing cafine in the afternoon helped but didn't make it go away. We lived in a small village at the time and it was worse because you could hear every church bell chime through the night just to remind you how you weren't sleeping and how little time had passed. I tried a load of things, a few things made it better, quite a few things made it worse, such as cafine, computers in the evening, all that sort of stuff. Those calm pills helped sometimes.

In the end it just switched off one day and I have slept like a log since, it was around the time I gave up smoking, I have no idea if it was related or not but I was very grateful either way.

Hope you find something that works for you

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

This is exactly the same for me- except that I'm 40!

As Linus said above, I have found I can doze in front of the TV, so I often sleep on the sofa with something on. I discovered that I can turn the screen off while the audio plays, too, so that takes the flickering light out of the equation. I just wish BBC Four would run all night- I sometimes end up with those godawful shopping channels running for hours!

It's still not an official routine though, I still rely too much on being drunk and I don't always get my teeth brushed, as I often go off half-way through that last tinny. It does stop me keeping my wife awake though, and we are planning to move house soon, so a spring clean of our lives should be coming. We both drink too much just now thanks to a horrible situation we've been living through, but we plan to pack in the booze and start exercising somehow. I might add some recordings of vintage shipping forecasts to the plan! 

I've skipped brushing my teeth sometimes when I'm sleepy as I've found that going into the bathroom, turning the light on, doing the whole brushing teeth routine just wakes me up again where as I just want to remain sleepy and try and fall asleep.

Guest subaudio

I'd recommend no sugary drinks or caffiene after 4.30 and definitely no alcohol at all.

Nothing stimulating when you get home, listen to drifty chill out music quietly in low Iight, no screens or tech, maybe read a chilled out book, nothing too exciting or enthralling.

I found a great little book called "this book will help you sleep" it really helped me with a routine.

One thing I have accepted, and this thread confirms it, is that I am definitely drinking way too much coffee in general.

I've been easily a five, six mugs a day guy...starting at 8.00am right through until 7.00pm-ish...so I'm knocking that on the head...one at morning / one at afternoon breaks and that's that.

I think it's definitely the lack of 'downtime' before bed that's the issue - although last night I was obviously dealing with the fallout from the night before, I pretty much slept solid right through from about 10.30pm until 6.30am...still took me a while to nod off, even being that tired, but there wasn't the incessant, random and utterly bizarre thoughts in my head from the night before.

So I think I need to work on my after-rehearsal programme to unwind properly.

Edited by lou24d53

13 hours ago, la bam said:

I know lots of people who listen to podcasts or YouTube at night and it really works. 

This.

A trick that I heard years ago is to occupy your mind with something and stop it spiralling out of control, thinking about all the random stuff you mentioned. The recommendation was to listen to a podcast but turn the volume down so that you have to strain a little to hear it - then listen to it. Radio 4 podcasts are my insomnia cure of choice with Melvin Bragg's In Our Time at the top of the list.

Because you have to work to listen, your brain can't get distracted and you can relax and then.....zzzzz.

I've yet to hear an episode of In Our Time all the way through 😀

Actually, that's not true - this isn't infallible but it works for me more times than not. If I don't have my MP3 player, i try and do the same trick of keeping the brain busy by mentally driving round laps of Cadwell Park. I'm getting quite quick now....

Different tactics work for different people so i hope you find something that works for you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, lou24d53 said:

One thing I have accepted, and this thread confirms it, is that I am definitely drinking way too much coffee in general.

I've been easily a five, six mugs a day guy...starting at 8.00am right through until 7.00pm-ish...so I'm knocking that on the head...one at morning / one at afternoon breaks and that's that.

I think it's definitely the lack of 'downtime' before bed that's the issue - although last night I was obviously dealing with the fallout from the night before, I pretty much slept solid right through from about 10.30pm until 6.30am...still took me a while to nod off, even being that tired, but there wasn't the incessant, random and utterly bizarre thoughts in my head from the night before.

I had no idea how bad I had got. During the worse times I was easily 20 cups and more a day. Yet it never occurred to me how bad it had got.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

This.

A trick that I heard years ago is to occupy your mind with something and stop it spiralling out of control, thinking about all the random stuff you mentioned. The recommendation was to listen to a podcast but turn the volume down so that you have to strain a little to hear it - then listen to it. Radio 4 podcasts are my insomnia cure of choice with Melvin Bragg's In Our Time at the top of the list.

Because you have to work to listen, your brain can't get distracted and you can relax and then.....zzzzz.

I've yet to hear an episode of In Our Time all the way through 😀

Actually, that's not true - this isn't infallible but it works for me more times than not. If I don't have my MP3 player, i try and do the same trick of keeping the brain busy by mentally driving round laps of Cadwell Park. I'm getting quite quick now....

Different tactics work for different people so i hope you find something that works for you

Mine is Castle Combe, just love driving that circuit :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Mine is Castle Combe, just love driving that circuit :) 

Hmmm. I love the circuit but i destroyed a car there once so it has mixed memories for me...

Avon Rise/Quarry is one of the hardest combinations on any track in the UK

I'll stick to Cadwell Park 😀

• Like 1

I don't listen to music on the way home from gigs prefering radio 5 or something. If i wake up thinking about stuff I need to do next day then I write it down on a pad I have next to the bed. Makes me feel like it's already partly sorted. Usually when I read it in the morning I laugh at how trivial and insignificant it is. It's crazy how important silly stuff seems at 3am.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/04/2019 at 09:02, cheddatom said:

If I struggle do sleep I do slow, deep breathing, really focusing on it. I guess it's a kind of meditation. It always works

I've had the same problem thru my working life where i just couldn't switch off. Mostly it was work related and much of the advice mentioned in previous posts is good if not excellent. With rehearsal at night its usually excitement that keeps me awake and i need to sit and relax either watching a comedy programme on TV or read a bit of a book or even a bike mag.

One bit of advice i got was to remove those red led clocks or any lit clocks from the beroom. My alarm clock only lights up when the alarm comes on. That helped and i still believe that even tho i'm now retired. 

I still get the occassional night where i go to bed and get back up. I know this goes against all good advice but i'll have a milky coffee and go straight to bed again. 2 things will happen. You will either fall asleep quickly or if not sleeping after 10-15mins then the caffeine will kick in and you could end up being more awake. For me i usually fall asleep within 5mins. That's not for everyone tho.

I came across this little clip on how to meditate that might help based on what cheddatom said above. I tried this and found it really works quite well and it can be done anywhere even when lying in bed.

• Like 1

On 01/05/2019 at 10:59, lou24d53 said:

That's what i was like at work. I changed to de-caf coffee and it made a huge difference. If like me you love your coffee and its not taken purely as a stimulant to keep you awake then the de-caf option might help. 

Dave

• Thanks 1

The rehearsals might be making you feel guilty about not doing all the other things instead. Plus the fear now that the insomnia will stop you coping on Tuesday, so it's a vicious circle.

Perhaps something that helps you step outside all the day to day worries for a few hours is just what you need to 'depressurise' and face lifes's little challenges.

Also it's likely that the relief of rehearsal is giving you a big buzz.

My advice is no caffeine after 6-7pm, I go tea only before then.

When I have had insomnia in the past, I found valerian works well, but if you take it too regularly it gives you (very) lucid dreams. Once a week after rehearsal might work for you.

• 1 month later...

Reared it's head again tonight, in bed at 10.30pm, thinking I was tired...and lay, and lay...out the bed, into spare bed...and lay, and lay...back up at 2.00am and back into my own bed...and lay, and lay...getting up now, no point...today's gonna be fun...

😬😬

• Sad 2