Why become a member? ×

A question for EBMM S.U.B. (USA) Owners

basshead56

Hi all,

I had one of these back in the old country years ago. It was a red one with the active EQ. Great bass but I wasn't really into the ray sound back then, so I moved it on as I hardly played it.

Picked one up down here last week for a stupidly low price (I think the seller thought it may have been one of the newer SBMM SUB series, hence the crazy low price of 200 pounds)

It is also an active one, this time in teal and in minty condition.

My question is regarding the wording SUB on the headstock.

I watched a video suggesting that that the passive ones read "S.U.B." on the headstock and the active ones read as "S.U.B. Bass", which fits with the two I have owned.

However in looking around online I have spotted several that say "S.U.B" but have the active electronics also.

Anyone know why there were two logos/identifiers?

18 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

News to me, I thought they were all active! In fact the first passive MusicMan bass I’ve seen is the new Joe Dart model.

There was definitely a passive one. Don't know if they were as common as the active ones but they are out there haha

7 hours ago, basshead56 said:

SOLVED -

Apparently the first two runs from very late 2002 - mid 03 just had SUB on the headstock, regardless of electronic choices and from late 03 onwards they were all branded SUB Bass.

This is basically it (production year/period) but there are also 5 string and Sterling variants. This web site page gives the headstock information with some photos to illustrate (the Subs are at the bottom of the page). They were introduced in 2003 and ceased production in 2006 - the Stingray version was either passive or active but from observation the passive ones seem far fewer in number. The production years for the different logo differ slightly from what you've said (I have a Sub 5 from late 2003 with the early logo, which continued into 2004).

http://www.musicmanbass.global/headstock-logos-part-2/

Edited by drTStingray