Why become a member? ×

Casters vs trolley!

Wonky2

After a recent cab debacle I’ve ended up with a cab that I’m really happy with sound wise but I swear to god it’s made of dark matter....

its an Orange Obc210, and at 29.5kg it’s more than I want to be dealing with.

i have one of the gold up sack trucks but always found it awkwardly and as the foot plate isn’t huge as well as the handle being just a tad to low to move it comfortably, I’m considering other options and value the opinion of you guys.

ive found some high quality castors but I’m not keen really as I’m usher how this will affect the sound of the cab, it not being coupled with the floor etc....

ive also seem the clip on type trolleys like the type that come with tc electronic combos... anyone got experience with these? Are they strong? Do they come Unclipped to easy?

https://www.pennelcomonline.com/Mobile/en/Penn-Elcom-3-Stage-Removable-Case-Trolley-H4515/m-m-8943.aspx

the wheels only look small and hard plastic too.....

rubber casters, folding sack trolley, or clip on tv style trolley...  

opinions welcomed.

and yes, I’m aware I still have to deal with stairs and lift it in and out the car but I’m sure I can get a bit of help with that if need be....

Edited by Wonky2

The pyeurothene rubber aspect of casters appeals to me as nothing would make me cringe more that chattering a can over bumpy tarmac on nylon type naff wheels....

but the clip on trolley , I’ve now found made by penn elclom, who make all manor of pro flight case stuff, seems a good clamped on alternative to the sack truck and the but if a juggling act that comes with it

https://www.pennelcomonline.com/Mobile/en/Penn-Elcom-3-Stage-Removable-Case-Trolley-H4515/m-m-8943.aspx

32 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Stick some locking rubber wheeled castors on the thing - you won't notice any difference........

(sits back & waits for howls of outrage)

😎

No outrage here, exactly what I’ve done with my Ashdown 410

Likewise - and they wont interfere with the sound. I think Bill F advises that you need a lot more than the height of some castors to get de-coupling

Rubber castor wheels, and the 75mm size would be my choice.  You only need 2  locking, not all 4.

• Thanks 1

I was faced with a similar dilemma (couple big old TE cabs . What swayed me in the end was the extra length the castors added to the cabs (while in transit) and needing four for each cab. So I made a dolly instead. Easier to transport and can be used to move other heavy stuff too.

Yeah I considered the dolly option but I think curbs bumps and steps would just be a pain in the pipe...

im 95% for the castors but the penn elcom clip on style trolly has my interest... I’ve found it online fir just £16!

judging by the quality of their flightcase gear I’m guessing it’s of good quality.... 

many tc elec cab users out there got love for the clip on trolley ?

My solution to weight problems was to get a trolley. Get the bigger wheels and you'll be able to push it across gravel car parks with ease. You can't do that with castors. But the real solution if weight is as much of a problem is you say, is to get a lighter cab. At the same time, you really can do better than this cab.

As I said, this cab has the exact sound I’m wanting. I’m sure I can “do better” but I simply haven’t got barefaced kind of cash.

the Markbass 210 I had sounded great but just lacked bottom width and warmth. I tried a mb 121h cab and simply hated the 12” sound which was flappy and undefined.

thus orange cab is perfect in aspect of the sound it delivers, 10” definition but with 15” warmth and depth. I love it, there’s just no way I’m gonna be able to Carry it. 

I have a nasty type of spinal arthritis called ankylosing spondylitis so my back is buggered good and proper.

i can manage the lift in and out of the car but there’s no way I’m carrying this cab.

so, casters or trolley! 

Ive opted for and bought tonight the clip on trolley ( same as what tc elec gear uses). 

Ill see how it goes if it’s no good I’ll move to casters. This trolley clip being the least invasive with just a few screw holes to mount the trolley mounts.

Edited by Wonky2

Been using a Draper collapsible sack truck for over 10 years  - it's moved Trace Elliot combos, Ampeg 4x10s, TC cabs, Barefaced cabs, Mesa PowerHouse cabs, MarkBass combo and cab together, various PAs and keyboard amps.

Had casters and tried dollies - the sack truck wins everytime for me.

Chris

• Like 1

I confess I spent years (and years) being obsessed with having my cab make contact with the floor. Even in the live-in flightcase I had made, I insisted that there was no foam under the cab when it was upright.

After a time, the flightcase became a ridiculous incumbrence and I finally made the leap to decent sized rubber wheeled casters. I was convinced the bottom end would just disappear but, guess what? No difference in the sound at all.

23 minutes ago, StevieE said:

Can you expand on this? I'm aware that cabs are better off the ground but without knowing why. Ta

The reason you want your cabs off the ground is either so you can hear them better, or because you need to physically decouple them from a hollow resonant stage. On the whole the boundary effect is something that you want because if your cabs are placed correctly it helps project the sound out from the stage area. Bill Fitzmaurice has expanded on the subject several times you want to do a search.  

• Thanks 1

I used to use a trolley until the amp fell off and bounced down a load of stone steps. Even with strapping the amp in it would go askew when going round corners.

Lockable castors sound great, but my own solution was lightweight Markbass amp. I only have an Orange practice amp now... that seems heavier than the Markbass ever was... or maybe I'm getting weaker.

15 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Stick some locking rubber wheeled castors on the thing - you won't notice any difference........

(sits back & waits for howls of outrage)

😎

No howls of outrage from me. That's exactly what I did.  :friends:Makes no difference to sound. Plus the brakes are handy when playing on a stage with an obvious rake. I think that's the technical term for a severe slope.

I used an old fishing trolley for years.  Saw me in and out of gigs and rehearsals.  Got it from Argos.  The Hartke cabinets I had utilised castors.  They were these locking ones that were easily removable, but they eventually failed and I just installed some regular ones.

If I were starting over now, I think I'd just get a bit of ply cut the size of my cabinet, cover it in heavy duty black felt and screw in some of those bigger nylon/polypropylene wheels.  Portability and the luxury of being able to dispense with them after use.