Why become a member? ×

NBD! Dingwall DBird Standard... is it blue or is it purple?!

cetera

On 19/05/2019 at 11:47, Woodinblack said:

Beautiful colour, waiting / hoping this is going to come out in a 5 one year. I would love to get one but know it would end up unplayed as a 4. Work of art though.

Just had confirmation from Sheldon that the 5 string Standards are about 12 months out! They’ll be with the new revised body shape though.

Edited by CameronJ

29 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Just seen the D-Roc. Hmmm. Interesting. Bit like the new Sandberg shapes, might take time to get used to the look.

Yeah I’ve seen a few people reply to Sheldon’s Facebook post saying they prefer the old shape. In some ways I do too but I’m sure this wasn’t a a decision which was taken lightly. Talking of Sandberg, the lower horn on the new D-Roc shape bears a passing resemblance to Sandberg’s Forty Eight model. 

25 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

What happened with the new shape? Did Gibson kick up a fuss?

Dingwall haven't explicitly said exactly why they changed it, but they issued this statement on their website.

To all our friends and customers,

Due to circumstances beyond our control we are discontinuing the award-winning D-bird model. In it’s place we are introducing the D-Roc. The good news is that all the performance features that made the D-bird such a standout will be carried over to the D-Roc, the only changes will be to the body profile and headstock. Early feedback to the new D-Roc has been unanimously positive so we see this as a very positive move. Customers receiving a D-Roc will be getting the first run of a new and exciting design. We appreciate everyone’s patience and support as we faced this challenge to steer things to a successful and positive outcome for our customers. We are very proud of the efforts of the entire Dingwall team and suppliers.

Best regards,

Sheldon Dingwall

Which sounds like that whatever happened was sudden and unexpected as they seem to be altering the design even for customers who have already ordered a D Bird.

It seems likely that they either got nervous after Gibson went after Dean and made the change pre-emptively or maybe they heard that a legal challenge might be on the cards.

Dingwall isn't a big company, the legal fees involved in fighting any kind of law suit would hurt them badly regardless of whether they won or not.

Edited by Cato

54 minutes ago, Cato said:

Dingwall isn't a big company, the legal fees involved in fighting any kind of law suit would hurt them badly regardless of whether they won or not.

This. Better to avoid the risk altogether, make a design change and retain financial health!

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Dingwall haven't explicitly said exactly why they changed it, but they issued this statement on their website.

To all our friends and customers,

Due to circumstances beyond our control we are discontinuing the award-winning D-bird model. In it’s place we are introducing the D-Roc. The good news is that all the performance features that made the D-bird such a standout will be carried over to the D-Roc, the only changes will be to the body profile and headstock. Early feedback to the new D-Roc has been unanimously positive so we see this as a very positive move. Customers receiving a D-Roc will be getting the first run of a new and exciting design. We appreciate everyone’s patience and support as we faced this challenge to steer things to a successful and positive outcome for our customers. We are very proud of the efforts of the entire Dingwall team and suppliers.

Best regards,

Sheldon Dingwall

Which sounds like that whatever happened was sudden and unexpected as they seem to be altering the design even for customers who have already ordered a D Bird.

It seems likely that they either got nervous after Gibson went after Dean and made the change pre-emptively or maybe they heard that a legal challenge might be on the cards.

I heard about this two months ago so, although the press release has only just come out, it isn't sudden or unexpected. They've taken the last couple of months working out their way to bypass the issue (slight body shape redesign).
If they had just made the occasional Tbird shaped model they would have probably been OK but the DBird was becoming a key line in their range and to Gibson's mind a threat.
I'm just glad I got mine when I did and it'll retain its value nicely :)

• Like 2