Why become a member? ×

NBD! Dingwall DBird Standard... is it blue or is it purple?!

cetera

Just arrived this weekend after a year long wait since ordering..... a fantastic flipflop blue/purple Dingwall Dbird Standard!

Loving it.... particularly the sound with all 3 pickups on! Solid lows, glassy highs and piano-tone tight mids.... mmmm....

Thanks to Mark at Bass Direct for sorting this for me 🙂

20190429_141444.jpg

20190429_141510.jpg

20190429_141537.jpg

20190429_141648.jpg

20190429_141628.jpg

20190429_141547.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, cetera said:

Just arrived this weekend after a year long wait since ordering..... a fantastic flipflop blue/purple Dingwall Dbird Standard!

Loving it.... particularly the sound with all 3 pickups on! Solid lows, glassy highs and piano-tone tight mids.... mmmm....

Thanks to Mark at Bass Direct for sorting this for me 🙂

20190429_141444.jpg

20190429_141510.jpg

20190429_141537.jpg

20190429_141648.jpg

20190429_141628.jpg

20190429_141547.jpg

Welcome to the flip-flop club! it's beautiful!! 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Lovely!

How is the balance?

I've only played the prototype DBird, but I recall the balance was perfect. Zero nose dive. Interestingly, the original prototype wiring was influenced by my own rewiring shenanigans of my Flip-Paint AB1. Thats was quite a nice thing to hear from Sheldon at the time. I'm not sure what the production model configuration is, I'll have to look. Or better still, just ask the owner of this sweet looking machine!!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dood said:

I've only played the prototype DBird, but I recall the balance was perfect. Zero nose dive. Interestingly, the original prototype wiring was influenced by my own rewiring shenanigans of my Flip-Paint AB1. Thats was quite a nice thing to hear from Sheldon at the time. I'm not sure what the production model configuration is, I'll have to look. Or better still, just ask the owner of this sweet looking machine!!

This is the selector layout

Screenshot_20190429-170217_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Never been fan of the 'birds but this looks amazing, lovely color, congrats!
I'd have a neck/bridge option for the pu selector, I've noticed this before with the 3 pu versions of the Dingwalls.
Makes more sense to me than the bridge solo when there is bridge/middle already there in the 2nd position. 
Never in my life have used bridge only.....

• Like 1

This looks great! I’m hungrily awaiting the release of the 5 string D-Bird Standard. There was a time when I hated the sunburst look but somehow Dingwall make their vintageburst look sooo good.

To be fair, they don’t really know how to produce a bad looking finish IMO.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CameronJ said:

This looks great! I’m hungrily awaiting the release of the 5 string D-Bird Standard. There was a time when I hated the sunburst look but somehow Dingwall make their vintageburst look sooo good.

To be fair, they don’t really know how to produce a bad looking finish IMO.

Yes; their finisher/painting person (Paul?) is amazingly creative. Sheldon bigs him up whenever he FB posts a new finish.

I have also not been a fan of the ‘Bird shape but the 5 string D Bird looks amazeballs.

Edited by Daz39
  • Like 1

Also, am I the only one who actually prefers the painted on pickguard of the D-Bird Standard vs the solid Wenge pickguard on the Canadian D-Bird Customs??

Also prefer the choice of colours on the Standards vs the Customs!

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lovely instrument!

Been sorely tempted by one of the D-Birds as they sound brilliant, upper fret access completely unsuited to me (I've been known to use the 26th fret of my Warwick) but still have GASSSS.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kev said:

Lovely instrument!

Been sorely tempted by one of the D-Birds as they sound brilliant, upper fret access completely unsuited to me (I've been known to use the 26th fret of my Warwick) but still have GASSSS.

Cheers!

Yep, upper fret access is limited - but hey - it's a thunderbird!! Wear it low and grind out the grooves....who needs the dusty end?! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Lovely instrument!

Upper fret access you say?  😀

shukerbird.jpg.34b2dbb62f023fb51685771129538ba1.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/05/2019 at 16:15, CameronJ said:

Also, am I the only one who actually prefers the painted on pickguard of the D-Bird Standard vs the solid Wenge pickguard on the Canadian D-Bird Customs??

Also prefer the choice of colours on the Standards vs the Customs!

Yea, the wenge pickguard on the custom adds weight to the bass too 🙈🙈

• Haha 1

On 29/04/2019 at 14:55, cetera said:

Beautiful colour, waiting / hoping this is going to come out in a 5 one year. I would love to get one but know it would end up unplayed as a 4. Work of art though.

• Like 1

The correct answer to the question is no-one cares what colour it is. All that people care about is how does it sound played in drop E through loads of Darkglass pedals by Nolly Getgood. Does it djent? Does it sound "sick?" We'll never know the answer to these questions if we stop to think what colour it actually is depending on what angle the light strikes it at.

• Haha 4

On 01/05/2019 at 15:55, Muzz said:

Upper fret access you say?  😀

shukerbird.jpg.34b2dbb62f023fb51685771129538ba1.jpg

Oh wait a second!!! I’m on my mobile and didn’t see the headstock logo!! ❤️❤️🤪🤪🤪