Why become a member? ×

What plectrum?

SH73

37 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

Only on Basschat

No, in the real world. I've been playing for 45 years, over 40 finger style exclusively but had to change to a pick 3 years ago after a motorcycle accident damaged my right hand. I experimented with many different shapes and thicknesses, and found that thin picks messed up my timing, with a thick inflexible pick, I was in full control.

Might not be the same the same for everyone, but don't dismiss my experience with a throwaway one liner. A moderator should know better!

Edited by FinnDave
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

No, in the real world. I've been playing for 45 years, over 40 finger style exclusively but had to change to a pick 3 years ago after a motorcycle accident damaged my right hand. I experimented with many different shapes and thicknesses, and found that thin picks messed up my timing, with a thick inflexible pick, I was in full control.

Might not be the same the same for everyone, but don't dismiss my experience with a throwaway one liner. A moderator should know better!

I find any discrepancy in my timing is evened out with the deflection in the drummers stick.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I want zero flex from a plectrum, flex equals delay and f*cked up timing!

I did a few sums and worked out that this is OVER 100% correct👍
But these things are cheap so best get an assortment and see what works best for you.
I'm a very firm advocate of really stiff/hard picks - if you try a fast down/up sequence with a pick with even a bit of flex in it, bad things will happen. Stands to reason - pick strikes string, flexes back an amount (which is beyond truly accurate control) then releases, note sounds. If you're down to 8th or 16th notes, tiny timing errors really show up.

We should all just use the picks we get along best with, but my reasoning, playing feel and experiences make me a very firm advocate of the zero flex variant.

and p.s. - the gang who look down on picks are  SO missing out. Where would punk have been without a beat up P and a pick? 

Edited by Soledad
  • Like 2

I hold my .73mm quite close to the edge (upside down-ish) so very little flex for me. However, I don't think it matters what you use as your brain should sort it out - eventually. Vive la difference! 

• Like 1

Timbertones are a wonderful provoker of GAS. I'm mostly using their textured wood picks at the moment, but the sharp-pointed stone ones make a lovely sound on chrome flat wound strings. This is by far the cheapest and easiest way to play around with varying your sound. (I don't use the abalone one, it just lives in my gigging pick-tin like a little jewel.) 

IMG_0689.thumb.jpg.b03c82dd074dae2fdab1332278cf7788.jpg

17 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I want zero flex from a plectrum, flex equals delay and f*cked up timing!

This may be the case for you, but my timing is spot on with a pick (or at least undetectaby off) - I play maybe 30% of the time with a pick.  I personally find I have to grip tighter with a stiffer pick, whick not only interferes with my timing it also means I lose my grip more.  Horses for courses.

3 hours ago, Billy Apple said:

I find any discrepancy in my timing is evened out with the deflection in the drummers stick.

I find any discrepancy in my timing is evened out by my dodgy attire and questionable note choice. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

I took a bass back to the shop once for a refund because it wouldn’t play the notes in the right order.

I've decided not to buy any more basses now, it takes too long to teach them all the material I need to play!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Given that most folks can keep time with pulpy-ended fingers, I suspect it's a case of getting a plectrum that suits your technique. How you hold the darn thing is as important as the thickness once you are past about 0.6 mm.

I find myself lagging with finger style due to the thick epididymis that has built up over the years

9 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Agreed. I recorded a track today playing with a green Dunlop pickup hard. Din't notice much flexibility but I believe I'd get a better result with a thicker and harder pick to suit the aggressive style.