Why become a member? ×

What plectrum?

SH73

I started experimenting with playing with plectrum as it sounds better in trash metal mix. I use standard guitar pick 0.95 mm. I keep losing the grip when I play dynamically. Any suggestions what a good picks are for bass playing?

There is no definitive answer as everyone likes something different.  I like Dunlop nylon 1mm, some people hate them.  Buy and try as many as you can until you find the one that feels right for you.  Its cheaper than finding the right strings, anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

I love Dunlop Tortex picks, they seem to have a coating on that makes them a bit less slippy than some I've tried. I use the green .88 ones on bass (lighter ones on guitar, when i can find them in my bag).

Yep, I use the Dunlop Tortex Wedges, big, easy to grip, and as they are triangular you essentially get 3 picks for the price of one. 

• Like 3

As with a lot of things on here, my preference differs from the accepted norms... :ph34r: I really like Ernie Ball Medium picks - especially the yellow ones, which are easy to find if dropped on a dark stage! I like their "resilient flexibility" - particularly as I play quite hard. 

To be fair, I came across them by accident as I once found one on the floor in a rehearsal studio, tried it, and found that it suited me. Try as many as you can! :sun_bespectacled:

1 hour ago, Nicko said:

These are my pick of the picks, plenty of grip.  They're available in different thicknesses if you want more stiffness.  They last forever too.

Dunlop

Yep, been using these for...gawd...40 years...eeeek 😕🙂

Black nylon 1mm Dunlops - they have a textured grip area (don't think I've ever dropped one mid-gig) and the flexible material provides more feel & expression than a rigid pick.

Might just be my ears but I'd say the sound they produce seems a bit fuller & less brittle than tortex or other rigid materials.

2 hours ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

I love Dunlop Tortex picks, they seem to have a coating on that makes them a bit less slippy than some I've tried. I use the green .88 ones on bass (lighter ones on guitar, when i can find them in my bag).

I like the green ones also on bass and the yellow for gtr. They are unbreakable like nylon but harder (percussive like a piano ) . Tortex is good for me.

Just go to your local musical instrument shop and buy yourself a selection of picks of different thicknesses, sizes, and materials. If you are having trouble keeping hold of your pick look mostly at those with textured surfaces where you grip them.

However you should also bear in mind that the different sizes, thicknesses and materials will all produce different sounds from your bass, so you may have to do some experimentation to find the right pick for you in terms of both tone and playing comfort.

FWIW I use Herco Flex 75s. They are a reasonably heavy nylon pick with a textured surface where you grip them. 

Edited by BigRedX

I really don't get that anyone would be negative about using a pick. Maybe not all the time, but when it suits and is right. As Bobby Vega says in that interview - fingers, pick and thumb. Basically I want to be good all round and a pick is a really important part of the mix.

Personally I go thick / stiff. 2mm at least, I also like the injection molded ones which have no give at all - it helps develop accuracy of string attack and gives a very clean precise attack envelope to the note.

I plan getting some of the Ernie Ball Prodigy 2mm - they have a grippy face and look nice :)

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/search/ernie-ball-picks

• Like 1