Why become a member? ×

AER or Phil Jones

Burns-bass

Hi all, I play jazz upright in a few bands and looking to go out gigging and so I need an amp/combo.

I have an aguilar Tonehammer rig that’s absolutely not perfect for the job so looking to add to my giggable rigs.

Options are either of the Phil Jones combos on here or stumping up a bit more for a second hand AER combo. (Or something else?)

What do people think?

(I know acoustic image amps are meant to be the monkeys fandango but I can’t afford new and I need something relatively quickly so can’t wait for one to come up...)

Budget is about £500 - £1000

• Like 1

I'm a Phil Jones fanboy, I have a Cub for practising at home, a Flightcase for rehearsals which I add a PJ300 to for gigs. All of them are really pure and preserve the sound of the instrument. My Rob Allen sounds amazing through it, very upright in tone (which it's supposed to). When gigging with my P and JJ p/up equipped basses, I use a Tech21 VTDI to add a little grit, but they are totally usable without that too. I have no complaints and given that they're nice and light and compact into the bargain, why would I?

Ok. The problem I have is that the Fishman and the Aguilar are good, but the cabs have 12s which sound flappy and lack response. They also colour the sound to some degree, and they’re big too, so not particularly portable!

Ive heard good things about the preamps and someone has kindly offered me one so I’ll get that, but I still think the problem will remain with the Aguilar. So any other views?

Not sure you need an fdeck, since your Fishman has a high impedance input and a variable HPF.

Is your Tonehammer the one with the effects loop?  If so, plug the Fishman into the "return" which will bypass the Tonehammer's preamp (i.e. use the Tonehammer just as a power amp).

If you can find an AER BassCube for a decent price as they are close to £3500 GBP new, go on, this is simply the best combo ever and even for electric bass. I had some Phil Jones, they are not in the same league at all and when doing the AB test, they sound dull, poor and "overwatted". Don't buy an AER Amp series as they are meant for electric bass. The Acoustic Image are really good too, but not as good as the AER.

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

If you can find an AER BassCube for a decent price as they are close to £3500 GBP new, go on, this is simply the best combo ever and even for electric bass. I had some Phil Jones, they are not in the same league at all and when doing the AB test, they sound dull, poor and "overwatted". Don't buy an AER Amp series as they are meant for electric bass. The Acoustic Image are really good too, but not as good as the AER.

Interesting.

I was considering the AER Basic Performer. Is that voiced for double bass?

I should say, the more research I've done, the closer I am to a Greenboy and using the Tonehammer as the power section. I've got the gear, and sticking is sometimes better than twisting!

5 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Interesting.

I was considering the AER Basic Performer. Is that voiced for double bass?

I should say, the more research I've done, the closer I am to a Greenboy and using the Tonehammer as the power section. I've got the gear, and sticking is sometimes better than twisting!

Yes, the Basic Performer is voiced for double bass and the one @Frank Blank mentioned (and owned) is a good deal indeed. 😉

Very happy with my PJB flight case (£250 from these very pages).  it's very transparent and has an input impedance high enough for a preamp to make no difference.  Not that loud though at a "gentle" 150W. So I have the pb300 to go underneath it when playing cathedrals without a PA

Tried an acoustic image (coda?) at a bass bash and it was also v good. 

The only Aer I could find to try was an amp 1.  Very clean, build quality is just .. stunning;  but a bit boring sounding somehow.

I bought an AER Amp 2 for double bass duties and it sounds epic. I have a Radial Pz pre that I sometimes use but this is optional as it sounds great just going direct to the amp (1 mohm input). Sorry but I don't agree that it's not voiced for DB as it works very well with mine. Oh and it also works very well with my electric basses. A true one amp solution.

I wouldn't hesitate in buying the AER basic performer that's up for sale in bass direct. I assume the 2 input stages offer a doubling solution for electric & DB?

• Like 1