Why become a member? ×

A satisfying save - Sei content

Andyjr1515

Just a short one this time - both the thread and the bass :)

A couple of weeks ago @tauzero contacted me to see if I was up for taking on a small job on his beautiful Sei headless:

_MG_8555.thumb.JPG.12088f938585de92cc67d6717709e246.JPG

He explained the problem:

"Six years ago, I dropped it in a gig bag and it landed on the lower edge of the bottom bout. Because the core is quite thin, there's not a lot of meat around the jack socket area, and the impact cracked the centre core and sheared it away from the front and back laminates"

At the time @jayDee did the fix and - wow - FANTASTIC job!  It was an invisible mend and, honestly, I STILL can't see the join!

But in recent times a second problem has shown itself - a bit like @TheGreek 's Alembic-esque  of a few years ago - the top wood had started cupping and had pulled itself away to form an impressive gap! :

1024622169_SeiCrack.jpg.911488e9b0039b71fd8103ed3a1f8146.jpg

The lines on the core, by the way are just lacquer cracks - probably from the original impact.  The failed glue joint of the top was probably weakened, although not visibly split, at that same time.

Two of the challenges were:

• The cupping is strong.  I could only JUST close the gap with both hands pressing as hard as I could.  Again - a bit like @TheGreek 's
  • The joint area - the control chamber goes very close to the edge - is very narrow round that curve.  We are talking 10mm max - in fact before the curve levels off at the top

The glue joint that had failed is actually the bottom of a 2mm wenge demarcation strip which further round you can see the crack has also split the wenge

So the challenge, apart from working on such a beautiful and valuable bass, was how to find a glue that was going to be strong enough to hold the continuing considerable force of the top wood trying to pull itself away.  And how to try to fill and level any rough and damaged bits of the crack edge.

I gave it some thought and also bounced off my ideas on a pro-luthier friend, Rob Hodgson, who gave them the thumbs up.

The glue?

Old fashioned leave-it-all-night-to-harden Araldite original.  This is much stronger than the Rapid version or other shorter set epoxies like ZPoxy, etc..

Filling and smoothing?

Wenge sanding dust mixed in with the epoxy

Application?

Syringe for the main gap, encouraged in with some very thin cellophane, and then re-syringed

_MG_8526.thumb.JPG.b63da892fdc1774a9a1ee2088367562d.JPG

This was a test mix before I added the wenge dust.

I did LOADS of trials of shapes of cauls.  The top and back cantilever over the control chamber so you have to be VERY careful not to apply pressure to the edges.  There was already a hairline crack at the back, maybe from the original bump.  So the back clamping caul needed to be as big as possible to spread the load:

_MG_8529.thumb.JPG.c42bce6e02cfd7674fac99280adbf1e5.JPG

_MG_8530.thumb.JPG.31dbcb47d13a4281cff29d5a41fa2409.JPG

The clamping would be on the very edges, with a middle clamp to act as the fulcrum.  As such, I could leave the electrics in place:

IMG_8536.thumb.JPG.302c74bccf7504881d2c7e400c70f06b.JPG

Masked right up to the gap line and epoxy syringed in.  I also wicked a couple of drops of CA into the disappearing gap at either side of the main crack to prevent future spread of the glue fail

Then clamped, 3 clamps at medium pressure - until the gap closed but not much tighter than that - with the load balancing clamp nearer to the body centre:

IMG_8543.thumb.JPG.24c6b1e6f9f3618618acd8b7a4a72f08.JPG

I removed the bulk of the squeeze-out and then left it the rest of the day and overnight to fully cure.

Next morning, I gingerly loosened the clamps - and it had held!    :)

To smooth off the joint lines, I just used a single-edged razor as a mini scraper.  Quick wipe of the scraped joint with Osmo-dampened cloth, and we have the fix:

_MG_8550.thumb.JPG.f4965ba037d26faf64f1bcb9e8fbb581.JPG

The top is the repaired one ;)

_MG_8553.thumb.JPG.093b495f57375e273f0e7c52e4dd5955.JPG

I'm well chuffed (and moderately to majorly relieved) :)

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 16

It's a fantastic repair - picking it up on Wednesday (hopefully). I did the original damage about 7 years ago - gig bag slipped out of my hand as I transferred it from one hand to the other, and it landed smack on that corner below the control cavity. I think moisture may have wicked in from my sweaty mitts to cause the top to bend a little.

• Like 1

@tauzero you'll be happy to know that there is no sign of any gap or unglueing on my Silk bass. You should be confident that the work Andy has done will last for the foreseeable future.

I would say "forever" but that is a long time...certainly longer than you'll have the bass. 😉😉

Good work, again, Andy.

• Thanks 1

On 01/05/2019 at 21:12, TheGreek said:

Considered a career as a Poet?? 😉😉

You've got me sussed Mick 👍 My rhyming's quite slick 😧 

But Andy's so quick.......at making wood stick 😎

I thang yowwww.... 😝

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BassTool said:

You've got me sussed Mick 👍 My rhyming's quite slick 😧 

But Andy's so quick.......at making wood stick 😎

I thang yowwww.... 😝

@tauzero - save us all!   The devil makes work for idle hands - and I think they've got hold of the keys to the asylum!!!!   :shok:

xD

Hope this week has gone well ( @tauzero has had a very busy week ).  At some stage if you get a second, let them know what you think and maybe that will spare us from any more poetry or, god forbid, a song!  :)

• Haha 2

Sorry, was busy the last few days. Currently sitting in A&E with Mrs Zero who has a kidney infection, so I have a few NHS minutes to fill. Lovely repair by @Andyjr1515 which has secured the top and sealed the edge of the joint. Has the poetry stopped yet?

26 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Sorry, was busy the last few days. Currently sitting in A&E with Mrs Zero who has a kidney infection, so I have a few NHS minutes to fill. Lovely repair by @Andyjr1515 which has secured the top and sealed the edge of the joint. Has the poetry stopped yet?

Hope Mrs Zero gets well soon!  All the best to both.

And yes - I think the poetry's stopped... ;)

On 05/05/2019 at 16:56, SpondonBassed said:

Or one of my decreasingly rare thread diversions...

This morning I have mostly been searching for images for "Sei".  Here are three of them:

image.png.4e47bf9e8490ac099a2a1ea430bab787.png

image.png.2c4aeb5d935284685b71bd7120ce30a9.png

image.png.13ff23ae25fe34a864a57a033e65dbdb.png

None of these is a bass.  Out of these three however I like the 'bike best.

Ah yes, the Sei 750 by that fine Welsh bike factory, Benelli. They did a 900 too.

As for the middle image, I'm not sure how you get Sei from GG. I'd have gone for some sort of horse.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, tauzero said:

As for the middle image, I'm not sure how you get Sei from GG. I'd have gone for some sort of horse.

Ah the wonders of the search engine... not that I'm complaining all that much, you understand.

I used to long for some of those Italian multis.  I was always put off by their rep for poor electrics in our climate.

Speaking of your own Sei, it's a great save on Andy's part.  I bet your pleased.