Why become a member? ×

John Hall?

Ricky 4000

2 hours ago, Teebs said:

Is this true? @BassTractor

Or is Ricky telling fibs... :)

Yep. Essentially true, in that our gun/capita ratio is amongst the highest. Last year's statistics stated that Norway was on the 14th place globally, with 0,29 guns per private owner. The USA at that point had more than four times as many guns per private owner (1.20), and those guns were more dangerous.
Here, it's all about hunting in your own forest, and you'd use different guns for elk, roe deer and fowl.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

'I'm just a sensitive guy' sobs top honcho while issuing legal threats hither and yon.

He's soon to be on the receiving end  🙂

Fella called Frank Pistorio was making "Treble Bezels" for the bridge pickup.

http://www.tubeampology.com/

RIC just started selling this.

http://boutique.rickenbacker.com/BASS-PICKUP-TREBLE-BEZEL_p_783.html?fbclid=IwAR1zm001rgTgmYOOAM7wthU_iOOo3h94_MvJbpgSkjIXp3p_Mm1zCvn-zoc

Sadly Frank P won't get anywhere in the courts,RIC will drag their heels until Frank's legal bill crushes him.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

He's soon to be on the receiving end  🙂

Fella called Frank Pistorio was making "Treble Bezels" for the bridge pickup.

http://www.tubeampology.com/

RIC just started selling this.

http://boutique.rickenbacker.com/BASS-PICKUP-TREBLE-BEZEL_p_783.html?fbclid=IwAR1zm001rgTgmYOOAM7wthU_iOOo3h94_MvJbpgSkjIXp3p_Mm1zCvn-zoc

Sadly Frank P won't get anywhere in the courts,RIC will drag their heels until Frank's legal bill crushes him.

Pff....not unexpected. 

The thing to understand about the little man is that the guitar game is a hobby for him. But he will defend that hobby's heritage, certainly since he took the reins.  He is litigious,  make no mistake.  I would never buy another new Rickenbacker again,  solely because of John Hall.

That aside, there are some signs of change going on at RIC. I'm not going to hold my breath, though.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Hopefully Ric will do the right thing & settle. :)

Doubt it. Even if they do,Frank will get a pennies.  Don't be surprised if they counterclaim citing "IP".

At some time in the distant past a cleaner will have dropped a piece of paper in the Suggestion Box saying

"plastic insert for bridge pickup hole"

That's all they need . Sure they'd lose in court but their lawyers will makes certain the fella is broke before it ever gets there 🤬

@NikNik

You're correct. The Halls are wealthy,owning shopping malls wealthy. Only reason RIC wasn't sold years back is because of it's connection to Old man Hall. Course Hall snr was a shrewd business man so Rics built in the Far East would have happened years back 😃

23 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

"meece" is French for "mice".

The expression "I hate meeces to pieces" was popularised by the fictional cat Mr Jinks in the Hanna Barbera animated TV series Pixie and Dixie and Mr Jinks. 

pixie-y-dixie.jpg

It is a little-known fact that the prestissimo bongo accompaniment which underpins Hanna Barbera's classic chase sequences was recorded by the late Roy Jenkins (1920 - 2003, latterly Baron Jenkins of Hillhead) during a trip to Hollywood in 1957 undertaken at a time when he was intellectually at odds with his party leader Hugh Gaitskell.  Jenkins' bongo recording was used and re-used in scores of Hanna Barbera cartoons including Huckleberry Hound, The Flintstones, Yogi Bear, Secret Squirrel and Yentl Yeti among many other shows.

In June 1972 Jenkins declined to extend his licensing deal with Hanna Barbera saying: 'I'm putting that sort of thing behind me'. Faced with the threat of bongo-less chase sequences Hanna Barbera invited UK Foreign Secretary Sir Alec Douglas-Home to record a new version of 'the chase bongos' but Home declined, indicating that Denis Healey (Jenkins' successor as shadow Chancellor of The Exchequer) might be interested. Keen to deliver a snub to his predecessor Healey immediately agreed terms with Hanna Barbera, adding 'This will show that snivelling little ponce Jenkins where to get off'.

The new bongo part was scheduled to be recorded at Regent Sound Studios on London's Denmark St in July 1972 during the third reading of The European Communities Act. On the day Healey - no committed Europhile - was on edge and fluffed his cues. Overhearing an engineer observe: 'That Stafford Cripps - he was never one to choke an intro' a furious Healey stormed out of the studio. The session was saved when pianist Nicky Hopkins was drafted in at short notice and delivered a flawless first performance even though he had never before played the bongos.

Edited by skankdelvar
Misplaced apostrophe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

The expression "I hate meeces to pieces" was popularised by the fictional cat Mr Jinks in the Hanna Barbera animated TV series Pixie and Dixie and Mr Jinks. 

pixie-y-dixie.jpg

It is a little-known fact that the prestissimo bongo accompaniment which underpins Hanna Barbera's classic chase sequences was recorded by the late Roy Jenkins (1920 - 2003, latterly Baron Jenkins of Hillhead) during a trip to Hollywood in 1957 undertaken at a time when he was intellectually at odds with his party leader Hugh Gaitskell.  Jenkin's bongo recording was used and re-used in scores of Hanna Barbera cartoons including Huckleberry Hound, The Flintstones, Yogi Bear, Secret Squirrel, Yentl Yeti and scores of other shows.

In June 1972 Jenkins declined to extend his licensing deal with Hanna Barbera saying: 'I'm putting that sort of thing behind me'. Faced with the threat of bongo-less chase sequences Hanna Barbera invited UK Foreign Secretary Sir Alec Douglas-Home to record a new version of 'the chase bongos' but Home declined, indicating that Denis Healey (Jenkin's successor as shadow Chancellor of The Exchequer) might be interested. Keen to deliver a snub to his predecessor Healey immediately agreed terms with Hanna Barbera, adding 'This will show that snivelling little ponce Jenkins where to get off'.

The new bongo part was scheduled to be recorded at Regent Sound Studios at London's Denmark St in July 1972 during the third reading of The European Communities Act. On the day Healey - no committed Europhile - was on edge and fluffed his cues. Overhearing an engineer observe 'That Stafford Cripps - he was never one to choke an intro' a furious Healey stormed out of the studio. The session was saved when pianist Nicky Hopkins was drafted in at short notice and delivered a flawless first performance even though he had never before played the bongos.

Stafford Cripps.....🤯

2 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

an amateur drummer named Nicky Hopkins. He used to walk Robert Plant's dogs.

Apropos of nothing, my pal (who's a guitarist) takes drum lessons from Andy Edwards who played with Plant for a few years.

Seeing how my pal's come on in just a couple of years, this guy seems like a very good teacher.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

220px-Stafford_Cripps_1947.jpg

He's looking a little statesman-like and potentially litigious in this view. 

Does John Hall play bongos on famous cartoons as well (I had heard the bass on the Charlie Brown cartoons was a Rickenbacker - not sure if he played it though) 😐

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

He's looking a little statesman-like and potentially litigious in this view. 

Does John Hall play bongos on famous cartoons as well (I had heard the bass on the Charlie Brown cartoons was a Rickenbacker - not sure if he played it though) 😐

The only instrument JH plays is the hairy, one-string banjo!

14 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

This is interesting... I twice met an amateur drummer named Nicky Hopkins. He used to walk Robert Plant's dogs. And if he says any different to that - he's lying.

His brother Ricky use to water Robert Plant's plants in his pants, true story. 

2 hours ago, Meddle said:

Unless we hear this from Frank then Im not buying it. Production of the Tubeampology parts has been dwindling over the last year. The RIC parts are identical. I'm guessing there was a collaboration.

Copy/paste from Rick Resource.

Re: RIC-Made Treble PUP Bezels Available!

Postby (sunsetjunk) » Thu May 02, 2019 1:29 pm

@Ilan
No, I wasn't contacted by Rickenbacker regarding the use of my "Treble Bezel" name or my designs. This is more a moral than legal issue in this situation.

I have been making the original Treble Bezel since 2010.
First 2 years were CNC machined and Soft touch top coated until I could save up enough money to invest in injection mold tooling.
From 2012 to present they have been injection molded.
My bezels are more expensive, but they are of extremly high quality,the price includes S&H and a life time no questions asked warranty. Any bezel can be returned or exchanged upon request, customer covers return shipping costs, a new/different version ships out quickly after I receive the returned version. No receipt necessary, just the bezel.
Each bezel is inspected, numbered and dated by me.

The black versions are molded out of a 20% Glass Filled Nylon for stiffness and durability.
The chrome plated versions are molded out of ABS and then sent off to be chrome plated, with real metal, NOT vacuum metalized, this creates a brilliant and durable metallic exoskeleton, with some shielding properties.

So basically the Original Treble Bezel offering from TubeAmpology comes is 7 unique versions to give you the cleanest and most unobtrusive asthetic for your desired application.

Chrome Plated in, Standard, Cove or Deluxe.
Black texture in, Standard, Cove or Deluxe.
4001V63/C64 in Standard only, This version comes as a kit, with spacers,and fits the Horseshoe pickups with the cover removed.

There are pictures posted in my store that can be zoomed in on to see the quality of the finish.

http://tubeampology.com/store1/4003-treble-bezels/

Quite frankly, I never thought Rickenbacker would stoop down to Chinese business ethics by copying a product design AND name. As I stated earlier, this is more a moral than legal issue.
I’ve always respected Rickenbacker’s Made in America ethos and Jim Halls efforts to curb fakes/copies. And I have always been proud to support their company by buying and playing their basses, as well as being proud to be able to design and produce a product that I believed would make their basses better for some players. All this while making sure I didn’t copy or infringe on any of rickenbackers designs when designing the Treble Bezel.
And now seeing this offering from them, using the Treble Bezel name and even some of my wording from my website describing it is very disheartening.
(sunsetjunk)

• Like 2