Why become a member? ×

John Hall?

Ricky 4000

Don't know. Have read the odd rumour - he's retired, he's quit, he's divorced from the (possibly former) Mrs Hall (they are/were co-owners) and is out of the door.

Maybe some truth - a little revolution seems to be going on - intonatable bridges, 20th century truss rods. If there's suddenly a budget range of official Made In China Ricks, then that'll be a confirmed yes! :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Some decent options in 5 string Ricks would certainly be very welcome :) 

Other than the weirdy triangular pickups in the new one? Did wonder if that was the final straw that drove JH to run away screaming.

821795.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I also wrote the first review of that bass for Bass Guitar Magazine. If the bloody thing ever comes available to buy, I would be seriously tempted.

It was lovely.

Aha - so still not actually released yet?

With you in being seriously tempted. Besides it's 'bout time I tried something else besides Yammy BBs 😂

11 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Other than the weirdy triangular pickups in the new one? Did wonder if that was the final straw that drove JH to run away screaming.

821795.jpg

Honestly not much of a fan of the pickups, but I wouldn’t criticise ric for actually experimenting on things, and that certainly looks a lot nicer to play than the normal ones

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Honestly not much of a fan of the pickups, but I wouldn’t criticise ric for actually experimenting on things, and that certainly looks a lot nicer to play than the normal ones

Yup - big step to remove that metal bridge pup cover, which seems to be a very marmite feature.

Was there ever a good reason for that (thumb rest?), or just cosmetic?

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

No, the original pickup went all the way round, then they changed it to be a bit like a normal pickup but kept the style so put a cover over the top.

I don't mind that so much as you can take it off. I meant on the one with the triangle pickups, that had a nice bridge and the edges of the bass were rounded, I think they had done it well, even if maybe the triangle pickups aren't to my taste. I can see the point of the triangular pickups if it had the triangle inlays, but seems odd with dots (and I must say, I am not a fan of a ric with dots).

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I can see the point of the triangular pickups if it had the triangle inlays, but seems odd with dots (and I must say, I am not a fan of a ric with dots).

55 minutes ago, Maude said:

I'd imagine those pickups are inspired by the sharksfin neck inlays. Shame that neck is dotted. 

Wish I had thought of that :D

They're the wrong way round to match full inlays. I quite like the design, shame they didn't bother to do anything about that hideous afterthought scratchplate as well while they were at it.

In addition to being part of the pickup, the horseshoe, and the subsequent chrome cover serve the same purpose as the pickup covers on Precisions, Jazzes & various other basses that originate in the 50s/60s - it's a handrest. The original idea is that you'd pluck the strings with your thumb, with the side of your hand on the cover and your fingers on the "tug bar" beneath the strings. Obviously most manufacturers discontinued, or made such features optional as playing techniques evolved over the years. Most manufacturers...

I personally think those pups looks pants, irrespective of what they sound like. But when it comes to new appointments on the 4000 series, I do like that new bridge/tailpiece on the Ciserno model. Wonder what the 'purists' have to say about that, given that (according  to JH) RIC went back to 5 tailpiece screws from 7 because those same purists wailed about the aesthetic of the new design. Probably in old folks' homes now. Bring on the innovation. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Billy Apple said:

I think the pups look cool and if the design works then why not? I think people are auto prejudiced because it’s a Ric. I wonder what the comments would be if they were on a Dingwall?

Well, I'm no fan of those oval Delano pups, either. 

I rather like them...tho they'd work better, as has been mentioned, if they were the other way round on a bass with the triangle inlays...dots just look wrong on a Ric...

I like the Schaller 3D-ripoff bridge, too...it might be nice if they'd put a chrome surround on the bridge pup; not a big impractical one like the original, but a flatter one with a visual nod to the original...

I'm kinda stuck on the body: visually, I think the bound bodies look much better, but then there's that horrible sharp edge to cut into your right arm...this one looks much more practical, though...