Why become a member? ×

Just fitted a set of High Beams....

skidder652003

Just wow....that is all!

ok perhaps I should add a bit to that. Gigged with them last night and I can't believe the difference it made to my sound. Superb clarity and zing (they are stainless steels after all), I could actually hear clearly what I was playing in my v loud rock trio. Lovely lovely growl from my Jazz (which I was beginning to worry I wasn't getting on with, it was just a string change!) The other thing was the tension on them is just perfect, a bit looser than Im used to and I absoloutely loved that. £25 a set from Amazon worldwide. I used to hate paying what I considered too much for strings and didn't believe it made a difference in the sound, well, I've been proved wrong, strings make a huge difference, I just hope they last.

Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 1

On 27/04/2019 at 15:15, skidder652003 said:

Just wow....that is all!

ok perhaps I should add a bit to that. Gigged with them last night and I can't believe the difference it made to my sound. Superb clarity and zing (they are stainless steels after all), I could actually hear clearly what I was playing in my v loud rock trio. Lovely lovely growl from my Jazz (which I was beginning to worry I wasn't getting on with, it was just a string change!) The other thing was the tension on them is just perfect, a bit looser than Im used to and I absoloutely loved that. £25 a set from Amazon worldwide. I used to hate paying what I considered too much for strings and didn't believe it made a difference in the sound, well, I've been proved wrong, strings make a huge difference, I just hope they last.

Incredible huh? I've never regretted the move to DR... they have always done the business for me.... and they seem to last an age for me (not that I'm particularly heavy on strings).

re: tension, I know you said that you like the looser tension - but if you do find yourself wanting more, you may want to switch to the Stainless Lo-Riders - effectively the Hi-Beams but with greater tension.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

No I love the tension, it's just right, great for vibrato and less strain on the fingers

If you want them to be a little bit more flexible, try Fat Beams next. :)

I think they sound even better too.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

Fat Beams to me are pretty much identical to Hi Beams, even tension and feel. They have a little more mid content and a little less brightness. 

To me they feel a little more flexible, with more pronounced lower mids, and maybe not quite as bright, as you also said.

It's enough of a difference that I normally buy Fat Beams, and the one time I bought Hi Beams by mistake (a few months ago) I just thought something was wrong or they had changed the strings... it's not such a huge difference that I knew instantly I just had the wrong string. I only found out a week or two later when I saw the package in the recycling bin! Then I put on a set of Fat Beams and was happy again ;)

Fat Beams, Sunbeams and Hi Beams are all pretty good strings, for my taste and in that order.

Edited by mcnach