prowla

Explain ukuleles?

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 06:21, tom1946 said:

Then they should be burned with the wretched things.

To use a uke you have to have 'perfect pitch' , this is so when you chuck it into a skip it doesn't touch the sides....

Sadly we have two friends that are in a ukelele band, even worse for us we've been to a concert, only once mind.

I have been to see the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain not once but twice, and each time it was a good fun night out.

I think however that was more to do with the people in the band and less so with the instruments played.

Sometimes, if you're English, playing a uke seems like an excuse to be "Wacky", in a twee, self-conscious, cringe-inducing, middle-class kind of way....maybe that's just my perception.

One of my brothers loves ukeleles, he works with people who have autism and he uses them in what could be called 'music therapy' along with a variety of other instruments from simple egg shakers to a full drumkit. Ukes are very accessible instruments to play as it's much easier to learn a couple of chords than with a guitar. Another one of the things he does with people is get them to build them from inexpensive kits.

The only objection I have is that awful re-entrant tuning.

5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The only objection I have is that awful re-entrant tuning.

You're right - from there it's but a short step to 5 -string banj….no, don't make me say it :angry2:

• Haha 1

So much ukulele hate here, I didn’t realise ukelelism of this sort would be tolerated on this forum, moderators! Some of my best friends play the ukulele imagine their poor bare laps once we leave the EU...

😁

• Haha 2

Nothing wrong with ukeleles. Kala seems to be a good make, well made and finished and look good.

Tell 'your friend' to avoid the bright blue and pink 'toy' ones though..

14 hours ago, mangotango said:

I have been to see the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain not once but twice, and each time it was a good fun night out.

I have also seen them twice. First time was brilliant. Seond time, a few years later, would have been brilliant had I not seen them the first time!

Ie a bit of a one trick pony.

9 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

I have also seen them twice. First time was brilliant. Seond time, a few years later, would have been brilliant had I not seen them the first time!

Ie a bit of a one trick pony.

Yeh, they do tend to "re-cycle" stuff......however, second time I went, there was enough different material to make it worthwhile.

On 17/06/2019 at 12:37, DaveFry said:

HarrisonUkeNote.jpg.b097a55f533952e7596dc99f981c403d.jpg

Made from armadillo?

Which species?

Aren't they protected?

43 minutes ago, Twigman said:

Made from armadillo?

Which species?

Aren't they protected?

The Charango is made from the shell of an armadillo.