Why become a member? ×

Explain ukuleles?

prowla

1 hour ago, LeftyJ said:

I've been thinking about it before, but earlier this week I got a really strong urge to buy a ukulele. I went on the net to compare, quickly decided a tenor uke was the way to go (I'm 1,96 m tall and have fairly big hands, and I want to be able to play more than just open chords), and found a nice solid spruce top Kala KA-STG on gear4music for a fair price. I have yet to convert it for left handed use and have been playing it with the strings upside down for some time yesterday, and it's a lot of fun! I probably will, at one point, replace the re-entrant string with a proper low G, the examples I've heard on Youtube sounded a lot more natural to me with a bit more body and depth.

Ha! That's exactly what I did.

I still have to swap the G.

To be honest I haven't got over the way the strings stretch, one of them easily dropping a quarter tone in five minutes 😞

On 20/08/2020 at 08:49, LeftyJ said:

I probably will, at one point, replace the re-entrant string with a proper low G, the examples I've heard on Youtube sounded a lot more natural to me with a bit more body and depth.

😲 What do you mean a proper low G!!!!

The re-entrant tuning is all part of the charm of the Ukulele...... IMO anyway. I guess low g does have it's place for the occasional song where you need the extra range, otherwise high G is the place to be 😉!

• 2 weeks later...

Explain ukuleles? This.

Giving this kid the opportunity to come along. He's 11. One day, he will grow into playing a guitar and become a Dan Hedges or Andy McKee, but for now he's having the time of his life and at least he's playing music, not stuck in front of some crappy computer game.  (Yep, Old Bloke Comment. Sue me.)

• Like 1

I always thought that Nile Rogers would make a great ukulele player.  Funky choppy rhythms using only the four highest strings on the guitar, above the fifth fret?  That's what a ukulele is all about (if you play it like Feng E, above).

He seems to get around a fair bit - here he is again, with an Australian guitarist backing him up . . . 
Worth watching, if only for their delight at the synchronised "neck bend" wammy bar effect at 2'57".

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to buy my son a Ukulele for his 3rd birthday a couple of years ago. 

Since then my wife and I have spent an inordinate amount of time desperately trying to keep it hidden from him! 😐

I do however have a solid body electric 5 string bass ukulele that my wife bought me for my last birthday and it is brilliant! 🙂

• Haha 1